DNR Proposal for .243 and up rifle for deer season?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have avoided this thread due to foolishness being written by so many of you. I thought I would return to see if any of you had wised up. No such luck. I am actually regretting joining the forum. You guys have a good time without me. I am no match for a bunch of intellectual giants such as you.

Just a suggestion, my friend;
    When everyone else is wrong, maybe it's time to take a look in the mirror?

Another thing to think about is your delivery. If you want to play well with others and sell them on your thinking, it's always best to not talk down to them. This is likely most important when you are new to the neighborhood. Just sayin'.

I hope you change your mind and stick around. :)

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    There isn’t a need to limit the equipment that can be used to take deer in order to manage the deer herd. The deer harvest was a record in 2012, and the DNR is managing the deer herd through other means.

What does that mean, I wonder?

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Was just thinking if they allow all center fire rifles, that some land owners, may either restrict hunters from using them or limit the number of hunters they give permission to.

Also, will center fires be allowed in urban areas out of fear of the idea of "high powered" rifles. Could have more people who complain or argue against allowing them in urban areas near the city

foamkiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Bottom line is we have killed deer in Indiana for years with shotguns, smoke poles and sharp sticks. There no need for high powered rifles unless you are too bad of a hunter to get close. I asked a CO today on private land how much ground does the average hunter have to hunt. He told me on average probably less than 40 acres. On 40 acres it does take a high power to kill a deer. Before some wise acre says it ..............a 30-06 kills just as dead at 40 yards as it does at 250.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Bottom line is we have killed deer in Indiana for years with shotguns, smoke poles and sharp sticks. There no need for high powered rifles unless you are too bad of a hunter to get close. I asked a CO today on private land how much ground does the average hunter have to hunt. He told me on average probably less than 40 acres. On 40 acres it does take a high power to kill a deer. Before some wise acre says it ..............a 30-06 kills just as dead at 40 yards as it does at 250.

Then there you have it.
    We need to just call the whole thing off.

Could maybe this be more than just a caliber thing. Like....Oh...I don't know.......The Gov restricting how we hunt in the first place? You Nancys really think the caliber restriction was implemented for safety reasons?

Remember the restrictions for squirrels.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany

"Need"...a funny word, that one...

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    "Need"...a funny word, that one...

True ... I don't "need"'a gun at all to kill deer. My "sharp pointy stick" thrower gets the job done quite adequately BUT I do like to break out the Ruger .44 Carbine or my 870 Slug gun or my TC Omega or my TC Hawken... I do "need" a gun fix evry now and then.. ;)

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Then there you have it.
    We need to just call the whole thing off.

Could maybe this be more than just a caliber thing. Like....Oh...I don't know.......The Gov restricting how we hunt in the first place? You Nancys really think the caliber restriction was implemented for safety reasons?

Remember the restrictions for squirrels.
    "Nancy's "
    lmao Haven't heard that for years.... ROFLMAO..... Thx for the good laugh Dead duck...

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The original limitations in Indiana were put there to control the volume of harvest for a recovering deer herd, not for the sake of safety. That's just the facts. Safety is not determined by the cartridge chambered or the action type chosen, but by the trigger actuation unit. For all the wailing and gnashing of teeth, hunting is still a pretty safe endeavor, with MOST hunters being sure of their backdrop before they shoot.

I'll be glad to see these regulations put in place, even though it means the wildcat rounds I load for will be fired a lot less as I reach for a 270 or 308 for most of my hunting. The current rules are silly when you consider they allow pistols with 15" barrels to shoot all of these powerful cartridges, and that some of the wildcats achieve the same velocity and trajectory as a 35 Whelen. It'll be especially nice to see women and children given the option to hunt with rifles chambered in 243 and 30/30...stuff that won't kick enough for them to be afraid of the recoil.

The naysayers are going to hate it and talk about all the untold destruction, but the reality is Indiana's deer herd is growing faster than hunters have been controlling it. Given that the 1.625" and 1.8" PCR regs resulted in ZERO increase in hunter safety issues, I think we all knew "normal" rifle regulations were just a matter of time.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand

Psshhh, who needs a sharp stick, you must be a pretty bad hunter if you need one when you can just jump down from a tree branch and snap it's neck, or better yet, just buy your meat at the Wal-mart where no animals we harmed.

food.jpg

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    It won't be voted on until next year. There is still a public comment period and then a vote.

It might be in effect for next year's hunting season.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    The normal route is for the Natural Resources Commission to preliminarily adopt the DNR proposal at their September 16 meeting at Turkey Run State park. See - http://www.in.gov/nrc/2350.htm .We will then have a public comment period to the NRC. Consideration for final adoption will probably be in March 2015. If passed it will be in effect next season at the earliest.

Top Bottom