DNR Proposal for .243 and up rifle for deer season?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I totally disagree. Whenever I hunt out west I typically can't even see a house and it is very unusual to see another hunter in a whole week of hunting. Where I hunt in farmland Indiana....not even a flat place, and far from the density where I live....I can see more than a dozen houses and I have at least a dozen hunters within 800 yards of me. There is absolutely no logic in trying to compare the two simply because the terrain is passingly similar. Terrain is not the root of the concern. And little of Pennsylvania looks anything like northern Indiana.

As for "rifle friendly" culture, I love rifles and love hunting with them but that doesn't mean I think they are appropriate to use in every situation, especially when I still see people talking on and on here about how rifle bullets don't travel. Go watch them shoot tracers at night and see what many of those bullets do.

Well we obviously disagree. I lean toward punishing bad behavior, not limiting choices for the vast majority of us who follow the 10 commandments of gun safety. Until the data indicate there is a safety problem where rifles are used, especially in nearby states like Kentucky, then I'm going to remain on the side of allowing choices and punishing bad behavior.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    +1. Reasonable people can have different perspectives and respect each other.

After looking up the actual rules proposal and the language, I'd be surprised if it doesn't pass. Frankly, the most irritating thing about this is the piecemeal approach. If HPR was the goal, just do it. Don't have people buying new guns then change the rules every few years. I just had a 358 1.8" built after waiting several years to see how things worked out (matches the ballistics of my smokeless ML pretty closely but I'm tired of the weight and extra gear for regular firearms season). I could have built a 243AI with my own hands for a third the cost had I known this was coming. That said, on the property I hunt I may face more restrictive rules put in place by the property owner than the state.... I have no real need for further extension of my range, other than to move myself further to the center of the property while still reaching the same travel lanes and be further from the yahoos spraying and praying to the south of me with longer range bullets....

Totally agree with disagreeing yet remain friends and civil.

Piecemeal - It's the Indiana way. Ease into the pool. Midwesterners are slow to change even when most of them want to. We're an odd lot. I knew when they started allowing "pistol cartridges", especially ones that aren't in any pistol anywhere (i.e. .458 SOCOM) the intent was obvious and only a matter of time.

AND - I'm primarily a stick and string hunter and will not change. When I do carry firearms into the field it's usually a muzzy. Now prairie dogs is another issue...nothing like watching a 22-250 explode a varmint. That's just good clean fun right there.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    As a native Kentuckian, this thread has made it clear to me:

Hoosiers are dumber than Kentuckians, at least as far as use of modern centerfire rifles for whitetail deer are concerned.

I mean, I've hunted in Kentucky for 20 years and haven't come close to seeing, hearing, or reading about the types of hunter stupidity evidently witnessed first-hand here in Indiana.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County

Hoosiers are dumber than Kentuckians, at least as far as use of modern centerfire rifles for whitetail deer are concerned.

I mean, I've hunted in Kentucky for 20 years and haven't come close to seeing, hearing, or reading about the types of hunter stupidity evidently witnessed first-hand here in Indiana.

I've done a fair amount of hunting in Kentucky too. Used to take my son to Beaver Dam every year for their youth season. They have an affordable youth season for out of state youth that encourages kids to get started hunting deer. Haven't been back since my son got too old for the youth season, but am in debt to Kentucky for opening a youth season early and making it affordable. My son and I loved it and looked forward to it every year.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana

Evidently you never hunted in Hancock Co, I've worked in Hancock for the past 33 years and every year a few houses and barns will be shot into. Every now and then a cow, horse or goat gets shot. One chap from Breckenridge Co tried to weigh in a goat a few years back. My supervisor's brother was shot in the leg by a drunk fellow hunter with a 243. I have many co-workers in Hancock, Breck and Ohio counties that relate mishap laden stories every year. Listen to a police scanner during deer seaon and you'll be regaled by all manner of foolishness.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Evidently you never hunted in Hancock Co, I've worked in Hancock for the past 33 years and every year a few houses and barns will be shot into. Every now and then a cow, horse or goat gets shot. One chap from Breckenridge Co tried to weigh in a goat a few years back. My supervisor's brother was shot in the leg by a drunk fellow hunter with a 243. I have many co-workers in Hancock, Breck and Ohio counties that relate mishap laden stories every year. Listen to a police scanner during deer seaon and you'll be regaled by all manner of foolishness.

I have zero tolerance for idiots - reckless idiots that cause damage and harm. Ban them for life from licenses, jail them, take their gear away including their truck - PUNISH bad behavior!

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I have zero tolerance for idiots - reckless idiots that cause damage and harm. Ban them for life from licenses, jail them, take their gear away including their truck - PUNISH bad behavior!

Agreed. The drunk shooter I mentioned above was also a co-worker ( at the time) of mine. He didn't suffer any of the penalties you mention.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Allow centerfire rifles and the sky will fall. Just like it did with PCR's, Xbows. I have been shot at in Indiana and shot over the top of hunting elk in the middle of Wyoming. The morons in that instance rode up and saw the same herd of elk I had been watching for two hours. I wasn't interested in any of the small bulls in the herd, but they rode up, jumped off of their horses and started blazing away literally 6' over my head. They didn't see me over the slope,...didn't bother to look either or wonder why a horse was tied nearby. When they finished after emptying their rifles without a scratch on any elk, I calmly walked up the slope and ripped them a new arse.

The moral of the story is that idiots abound everywhere. Legislation will not fix it. Why should the acts of a few be detrimental to those capable of acting in a safe and responsible manner? Did the above incident in Wyoming cause me to cry foul about rifle hunting in Wyoming and try to ban or legislate it,...no, and it wouldn't cause me to do it in Indiana either.

Dirty Steve

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Folks keep talking about data and incidents.
    I know enough to suspect all of those to a heavy degree.

Pass it.

And 5 yrs down the road let's see what the effect has been.

If it comes out the way I think it will...................I'm gonna be more of an A hole. :)

If it doesn't? I'll still be slightly more of an A hole, 'cause I'll be 5 yrs older ;)

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Yeah, and suspending driver's licenses for habitual traffic offenders works soooooo well.

More laws do not make better compliance. Better law enforcement makes better compliance. Fear is a decent motivator. There will always be those dregs that nothing motivates them and so we must contend there will be a small percentage of the citizenry that simply will not comply. So, you don't punish those who obey the law and do their best, you punish those who do not comply. There's no perfect system.

I don't know how habitual traffic offenders got thrown into the mix, but what would you do with them? How would you fix the problem of someone who refuses to obey traffic laws? Do you take away their license? Apparently that doesn't seem to work for you. Do you jail them? Do you shoot them? Do you repeal all traffic laws? What's your solution?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Plenty of the old guard were stupid and dangerous.
    Now we have terrible school systems and a culture of entitlement.
    Things always work out for the better.

Last edited:

pike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    sounthern
    I have avoided this thread due to foolishness being written by so many of you. I thought I would return to see if any of you had wised up. No such luck. I am actually regretting joining the forum. You guys have a good time without me. I am no match for a bunch of intellectual giants such as you.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I have avoided this thread due to foolishness being written by so many of you. I thought I would return to see if any of you had wised up. No such luck. I am actually regretting joining the forum. You guys have a good time without me. I am no match for a bunch of intellectual giants such as you.

Just because some of us want to see high-powered rifles legalized for deer hunting and you don't is no reason to take your ball and go home. Grow some thick skin and hang around. No sense in getting your feelings hurt by some strangers on the internet. I certainly don't let anything on here bother me in the slightest.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In

13a.jpg

Top Bottom