• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I've never asked that folks agree with me, only that we all respect the opinions and rights of others. I am happy to say that we've all done that, in this thread! Isn't this a great frickin' country?! :)

I probably don't understand the AR phenomenon very well. The only cartridge for which I've fired more than ~250 rounds in a single day is the 22LR. I'm that old fart you see at the end of the row of benches that guys will look at and wonder if he's even shooting!? If I go to a range and shoot only 20 rounds the whole time, that's not nearly as important to me as where each of those rounds went, on the target.

I've got buddies with AR's. I've shot them more than a few times. In the end, I usually wind up shooting them just like my bolt-action rifles and not a whole lot faster than my single-shots! :D Shooting rapidly just has no appeal to me. There is really only one reason I would own and load for an AR...and MAN, I hope I never need one.

Ditto on the SS600.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    This look like an apples and oranges argument.

When I work on .223 it is in batches of 1,000 or more. Never less.
    How much brass do I have? Well in excess of 10K and I am sure there are many on this board that make by stash look tiny.
    I guess I like Kool-aid, Blue and Black.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    This look like an apples and oranges argument.

When I work on .223 it is in batches of 1,000 or more. Never less.
    How much brass do I have? Well in excess of 10K and I am sure there are many on this board that make by stash look tiny.
    I guess I like Kool-aid, Blue and Black.

See I was going low lol

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Having loaded and fired approximately 150,000 .223 rounds, that the majority of them started with LC crimped cases, my experience has been that cutting the crimp is faster than swagging it with the SS600.
    The fact that person A is faster than person B is irrelevant regarding the 2 processes in my opinion.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Having loaded and fired approximately 150,000 .223 rounds, that the majority of them started with LC crimped cases, my experience has been that cutting the crimp is faster than swagging it with the SS600.
    The fact that person A is faster than person B is irrelevant regarding the 2 processes in my opinion.

^^^NOW there is a Man that loads .223!!

AND, probably has sore fingers to boot........Bill.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Is 150,000 cases a large enough sample size?! :D

Does anyone know if there is a fully automated machine that will take (once?) fired 223 brass, punch out the primer and then swage the primer pocket, with no intervention from the operator, other than filling a hopper with cases?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Dillon Super 1050

Does anyone know if there is a fully automated machine that will take (once?) fired 223 brass, punch out the primer and then swage the primer pocket, with no intervention from the operator, other than filling a hopper with cases?

Aszerigan will have to confirm this, but I think His Dillon Super 1050 machines will do this.

HA---Another "Plug" for the "Blue Machines"??? Bill.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    Aszerigan will have to confirm this, but I think His Dillon Super 1050 machines will do this.

HA---Another "Plug" for the "Blue Machines"??? Bill.

And another shameless plug for Profire lol. Andrew should star keeping track or the mods make us advertisers lol. I want a blue name!!!!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

Not "fully" automated (you have to pull the handle), but Dillon's 1050 will do this.

-rvb

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I just got my super swage 600 on my door step today. It looks to be well built. I will be checking it out when I get time. It's blue! Like baby blue.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    You guys got me wondering. Yes, it is a big butt can of 5.56 brass. Have no idea how many. But, when I get ready to process this it will be with the Dillon tool. Now I guess I'm bragging. If I happen to get through these. Don't buy a used Dillon swag tool from me.

307pypt.jpg

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    You guys got me wondering. Yes, it is a big butt can of 5.56 brass. Have no idea how many. But, when I get ready to process this it will be with the Dillon tool. Now I guess I'm bragging. If I happen to get through these. Don't buy a used Dillon swag tool from me.

307pypt.jpg

I am looking at a honest 2k rounds of LC 5.56 to do. I had been buying new LC 5.56 for 219.00 for 2k. That seems to have dried up and has been out of stock for months now. I would gladly pay the 219.00 instead of jacking with this primer swage business.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    And another shameless plug for Profire lol. Andrew should star keeping track or the mods make us advertisers lol.

Keep it up, buddy.... :D

I'm putting a rental list of equipment together. I'm guessing an RCBS trim center w/ carbide reaming bits and a Dillon SS600 are making the list.

Look, put this thing to bed already. I've met SO many reloaders over the years - I set my dies one way, they set theirs another. I use one kind of equipment, they use another. The process of how we get to the same end result may be different, but the end goal is the same.

We all have the right answers for how we process our casings if it works for us. There's no reason for personal attacks on something as trivial as a little brass prep. Get back to the Dillon vs Hornady arguments. At least they stay civil.

Indy574

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Marshall County

I'm putting a rental list of equipment together. I'm guessing an RCBS trim center w/ carbide reaming bits and a Dillon SS600 are making the list.

Look, put this thing to bed already. I've met SO many reloaders over the years - I set my dies one way, they set theirs another. I use one kind of equipment, they use another. The process of how we get to the same end result may be different, but the end goal is the same.

We all have the right answers for how we process our casings if it works for us. There's no reason for personal attacks on something as trivial as a little brass prep. Get back to the Dillon vs Hornady arguments. At least they stay civil.

Exactly^^^^

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave

We all have the right answers for how we process our casings if it works for us. There's no reason for personal attacks on something as trivial as a little brass prep. Get back to the Dillon vs Lee arguments. At least they stay civil.

There Buddie--I fixed ^^^ it for you.HA HA.
    By the way Chlo looks GREAT in my new ProFire Tee shirt.....Bill.

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood

How dare you Sir!!! How dare you use common sense and reason! Blasphemy!!!!! Death by hanging!!!

Top Bottom