4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think there was a Texas case a few years ago, where a guy saw his neighbor's house getting broken into, confronted the perpetrators who tried running away and he shot one on the front lawn.

No charges.

I may have the details wrong, but that was the gist of it.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I think there was a Texas case a few years ago, where a guy saw his neighbor's house getting broken into, confronted the perpetrators who tried running away and he shot one on the front lawn.

No charges.

I may have the details wrong, but that was the gist of it.

That sort of sounds like Joe Horn.

In the particular case cited above (not Joe Horn, the one in the thread), it appears it happened in daylight hours, so "theft during the night time" justification probably not in play. If neighbor knew the two girls were home alone, that might put a different slant on things. We shall see.

Comments to the article says the shootee was on deferred adjudication for...burglary.

ETA:
    A neighbor heard the alarm and went to the back of the home to see the suspect fleeing the scene. The neighbor told police he instructed the suspect to stop, but the suspect allegedly acted in a threatening manner. The neighbor then shot the suspect twice.
    https://www.khou.com/article/news/c...hot-intruder-outside-their-home/285-567614158

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    As I read this I was incredulous that this was a justified shoot. I was thinking that the cutie nay have had a link to the shooter. That was until the last 2 paragraphs.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46351182&n...meowner-who-shot-intruder-in-west-jordan-home

"Makayla suffered from the disease of addiction. Her parents are in recovery but weren't always, so she had it tough growing up," the obituary states.

Maybe they could have said that a little earlier in the article.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    As I read this I was incredulous that this was a justified shoot. I was thinking that the cutie nay have had a link to the shooter. That was until the last 2 paragraphs.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46351182&n...meowner-who-shot-intruder-in-west-jordan-home

The article that you linked to has a link to a previous story. If you follow that you find out she just got out of prison last September for drugs and theft, had several warrants, and had been recently arrested on them and found with yet more drugs. Also she had penetrated all the way through the garage and through the interior door.

The arc of her life was not ascending.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    blue falcon posted two stories that involved criminals entering homes through garage. In both cases the wrong-doers took garage door openers out of vehicles parked in the driveway.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    blue falcon posted two stories that involved criminals entering homes through garage. In both cases the wrong-doers took garage door openers out of vehicles parked in the driveway.

"locking your doors" should also include the lock button on your garage door opener, or changing from a clip on remote to a key fob remote so the remote isnt left in the car.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Yeaman's mother, LeAnn Yeaman, expressed anger and frustration at the decision not to charge the homeowner.

"I want to put 'you're a coward and a killer' on his front door," she told KSL on Wednesday.

In Makayla Yeaman's obituary, the woman is described as loving to write and sing, and having "a spirit too big for her body."

Calling him a coward fails to recognize her daughter's participation in her own demise. You wake up to someone breaking into and entering your home at night and you don't know what all is on their minds, and with what's at stake, people have a right to defend against threats to their lives. It's not like thieves announce they're just there to rob you; their not going to hurt you, or that you could believe them if they did. Don't be where you don't belong.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

It's rare that my car isn't inside the garage with the doors closed and locked. But when they are we take the openers out for that reason. Same thing when we have work done on the car. Not that I don't trust people, but it makes it easier to trust people when you don't help them make bad decisions.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    It's rare that my car isn't inside the garage with the doors closed and locked. But when they are we take the openers out for that reason. Same thing when we have work done on the car. Not that I don't trust people, but it makes it easier to trust people when you don't help them make bad decisions.
    ^^^This!^^^ If they get in the garage that's where most people keep their stuff that would be handy breaking into the house.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I didn't realize this was a series of stories about rehabilitation.

https://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=46337173
    South Park Academy!
    https://www.roanecounty.com/content/alleged-burglars-held-gunpoint
    [FONT=&quot]Makayla Yeaman also received her adult high school diploma. The 21-year-old hopes to further her education with a special focus on history and government. She also plans to improve her sign language, a skill she's worked on during her schooling.[/FONT]

With several felony convictions, life going forward will be difficult, she said. But she's optimistic her diploma will help.[FONT=&quot]"There's always something out there," Yeaman said. "There's more to life than drugs and violence. I want to help people."[/FONT]

Top Bottom