• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I didn't think that was the point though. The point I got from that was that how we choose to meter time is a social construct. How we choose to make time consistent across a globe
    is time zones. There doesn't have to be 24 equal parts in one rotation of the earth. There doesn't have to be time zones. Humans didn't make time. But they did make up how to meter it.
    Right. Time exists. Our measurement of time is, at least somewhat, arbitrary.

Apparently, dividing the day into 24 measurement units comes from the ancient Egyptians, who divided daylight into 10 parts, added 1 part each for dawn and dusk, and then divided night into 12 parts based on the movement of the stars.

I assume that further dividing the globe into 24 time zones logically derives from the resulting, universally accepted division of the day/night cycle into 24 parts.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    A very quick skim of polls shows a couple of things:

1. Around 2/3 of Americans want to stop changing time twice a year
    2. Of those who want to stop changing time, where they fall with respect to permanent standard time vs permanent daylight saving time varies according to when, where, and how the survey question is asked

That latter part is important, because surveys show that latter group (the 2/3 who want to stop changing time) breaks down anywhere from 2/3 wanting permanent DST, even split, and 2/3 wanting permanent standard time.

Some examples:

That’s a really good point. It shows how fickle a given position is on it. It really is about preference and probably does not warrant the level of debate it gets.

In a world where you’re canceled if you wouldn’t sleep with a trans person, this issue doesn’t even show on then scale. If I had my druthers I’d not have to change the clocks to stay on time with society. And if I could put icing on the cake I could work outside in the summer until 9:45pm.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    That’s a really good point. It shows how fickle a given position is on it. It really is about preference and probably does not warrant the level of debate it gets.

In a world where you’re canceled if you wouldn’t sleep with a trans person, this issue doesn’t even show on then scale. If I had my druthers I’d not have to change the clocks to stay on time with society. And if I could put icing on the cake I could work outside in the summer until 9:45pm.
    You know where I land on the question regarding where I would prefer permanent time for Indiana to be, and that I hold a rather strong preference in that regard. That I would accept time being permanently an hour ahead of standard time (that is already an hour ahead of where it should be) should tell you how much worse I think it is continually to shift time back and forth, twice a year, year after year.

I think the "stop changing the clocks" position does merit debate and furtherance, due to the actual, real, measurable harm to society and to individuals caused by clock-changing.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You know where I land on the question regarding where I would prefer permanent time for Indiana to be, and that I hold a rather strong preference in that regard. That I would accept time being permanently an hour ahead of standard time (that is already an hour ahead of where it should be) should tell you how much worse I think it is continually to shift time back and forth, twice a year, year after year.

I think the "stop changing the clocks" position does merit debate and furtherance, due to the actual, real, measurable harm to society and to individuals caused by clock-changing.
    Let’s make sure we keep the terms straight.

People who want to keep the switch to and from DST are called “clock flippers”. The sane people who want the “flipping” to stop are called “clock absolutists”.

And then among the sane people there are “DST’ers” who side with truth and justice and everything good. And then the ST’ers. They’re barely sane. But we let them into the club because at least they don’t want to flip their clocks.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

People who want to keep the switch to and from DST are called “clock flippers”. The sane people who want the “flipping” to stop are called “clock absolutists”.

And then among the sane people there are “DST’ers” who side with truth and justice and everything good. And then the ST’ers. They’re barely sane. But we let them into the club because at least they don’t want to flip their clocks.
    We should probably call the clock flippers "transchronos" and the clock absolutists "transchronophobics".

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

You're just a n East Coast leftist wannabe. Keep yourselves in sync with them. :p

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    A very quick skim of polls shows a couple of things:

1. Around 2/3 of Americans want to stop changing time twice a year
    2. Of those who want to stop changing time, where they fall with respect to permanent standard time vs permanent daylight saving time varies according to when, where, and how the survey question is asked

That latter part is important, because surveys show that latter group (the 2/3 who want to stop changing time) breaks down anywhere from 2/3 wanting permanent DST, even split, and 2/3 wanting permanent standard time.

Some examples:

So at the end of the day from a political standpoint, there is no consensus on what to change too so the default stands…

Last edited:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    The sky has no color. The sky is composed of air, which is a combination of colorless gases. Color in the sky is merely the presence (or absence) of sunlight reflected by those colorless gases. Further, those colors can be perceived quite differently, based on relative location (latitude, longitude, altitude), or even at the same location by people with differing eyesight.
    You are talking about the atmosphere - the colorless gasses around us.
    The sky, however, implies standing on our planet looking upwards. The sky appears blue because light scatters differently in the gasses depending on its frequency/wavelength. The blue light has a higher frequency/shorter wavelength which makes it favored to end up in our eyeballs.
    Some people argue that the sky is not blue but they are ignoring countless unofficial polls and have their own itsy bitsy problems.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Pink hair. Are we sure he has hair?

Hold up. Did I misgender anyone?
    Apologies.
    Yes, I have hair! Yay! and it has never been pink, always blonde when I was younger and kind of mouse brown now.
    But after 74 years of living and chemo and radiation treatment and immunotherapy over the last year, it is getting a little thinner than it used to be.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom