Danger of saying outrageous things in forums? really?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StunnedMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    They would have a search warrant for your computer, not a warrant to toss your whole house looking for a hard drive caddy that they did not even know existed.

I would assume that a warrant would be for your computer(s) and any associated magnetic storage media, etc. And I'm also pretty sure the warrant would be broad enough that they'd be able to toss your house looking for those types of things whether they knew the existed or not. I mean, who has just one computer or Internet connected device anyway? If they want your digital info, they'll be walking out with boxes of stuff.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    They'll research your name on the internet, and once they find out you post here the prosecutor will send a cop over to sign up for a free membership and print out all your posts. No warrant needed.

Then that cop will stick around and post too. He won't be able to resist it.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    They'll research your name on the internet, and once they find out you post here the prosecutor will send a cop over to sign up for a free membership and print out all your posts. No warrant needed.

Then that cop will stick around and post too. He won't be able to resist it.

Yep, we have seen that before too

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Just how will the prosecutor locate and utilize my posts without my giving them to him? How does he, out of the MILLIONS of forums available pick one that I use and then legally tie me to a cartoon avatar? Then, if he can do this, how does he indicate that I was under oath while I made those posts and that they are not all puffed up lies?

One of my biggest weaknesses as a detective is this technology. I suck at finding stuff online, I don't really understand the meta-data I get back from a cell phone search warrant, in fact about the only thing I have a really firm grasp on is IP addresses because I used to work in IT and networking. I still don't understand Facebook, Twitter, etc. etc. I have a fake profile on Facebook, but still don't understand all the stuff I can do with it, and don't even have an account for the others. I need to get some training on it, but I rely on our cyber-crimes guys to do that leg work for me.

So, I can't answer your question on a technical level because I don't know. What I do know is that the cyber-crimes guys know, because they have given me some good stuff. Like pictures of a robbery suspect holding the same gun and wearing the same clothes on his Facebook page (and it wasn't under his real name) stuff. Gang affiliations, known associates, etc. Now, if we take the time to do that on every case is another matter. Most instances its not needed because we have enough relevant info without it, cyber-crimes is busy, and we try to only bother them on stuff that is both really important and really likely to give some good lead info.

I can answer the second part, and that's corroborative detail. That's something you look for in any confession. Especially in a serious crime, you will occasionally have whackos who will falsely confess. I've also had a false confession when someone was trying to take the heat for a loved one who was facing deportation if convicted. So, you aren't under oath then, how do I know you are telling the truth when you confess to me in person? Because I know details of the crime that aren't public knowledge. If its a real serious crime, I may have even intentionally planted bad information in the media release (say the guy was shot 5 times and he was really only shot 2, something like that). Your false confessor won't know any of those details, and if there's bad info out there, they will incorporate that into the story.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Just out of curiosity is there a way to download a laptop's browsing history onto an external had drive? if so how can it be done?

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Yes just Google it for the type of browser he is using and may God have mercy on the poor soul ... :D

I've already seen more than any nice girl should. I just thought that if I can download the history I might be able to capture the passwords for future use in case I want to drink wine and update and tweak those profiles some more. :laugh:

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Yes just Google it for the type of browser he is using and may God have mercy on the poor soul ... :D

Yes Virginia there is a Santa Clause. I don't know if it saves the passwords but it does provide a way to record the history.

MozillaHistoryView: View the list of visited web sites in Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape browsers

Word of caution for anyone contemplating checking a loved ones history, be absolutely sure you are prepared for any hidden truths you discover. I accidentally discovered things I needed to know but wish I didn't. Originally I was clearing my usage history because I had done my online banking on that laptop. Once I saw the first site, it was too late to turn back. I had to dig deeper. My heart hurts and I feel sick to my stomach but at least I know a good portion of the truth.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I've already seen more than any nice girl should. I just thought that if I can download the history I might be able to capture the passwords for future use in case I want to drink wine and update and tweak those profiles some more. :laugh:

Yes Virginia there is a Santa Clause. I don't know if it saves the passwords but it does provide a way to record the history.

MozillaHistoryView: View the list of visited web sites in Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape browsers

Word of caution for anyone contemplating checking a loved ones history, be absolutely sure you are prepared for any hidden truths you discover. I accidentally discovered things I needed to know but wish I didn't. Originally I was clearing my usage history because I had done my online banking on that laptop. Once I saw the first site, it was too late to turn back. I had to dig deeper. My heart hurts and I feel sick to my stomach but at least I know a good portion of the truth.

:):......Sumbody be'n.......BAD, huh?......:):

StunnedMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne

Don't know what you found, but it's important to note that all men are pigs to a certain extent. Just saying.

Top Bottom