• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Heard about a guy that had a glass swizzle stick stuck somewhere else. He asked the Dr how he was going to remove it, Dr picked up a pair of hemostats and said "Same way it went in". It took multiple people to hold him down.

The joys of knowing multiple ER nurses.

I never mentioned this, but as I was half awake in the ER, I heard the nurses talking to someone in the other room. He was talking about having gotten something stuck and how embarrassed he was, but he hasn't had a GF for a while and had to do something. Sounded like an older gentleman. No ideas the details, but I can certainly imagine... :whistle:

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Dammit wt, I was just looking at your avatar and thought mbills had posted this, and quite frankly, I was freaking out! I thought he'd had a "come to Jesus" moment! :lmfao:
    No coming to Jesus necessary. I agree with you entirely... just asking the questions that others are asking. I worked on a farm all through high school busting my ass for 7 dollars an hour. Went to college for a pharmacy degree and worked 40+ hours a week just to survive at around $8-10 an hour because that's what interns make in pharmacy. Had to finance almost my entire education, basically betting on myself making it through. Now I make crazy good money and feel that I've earned every penny. I'm with you 110%.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    No coming to Jesus necessary. I agree with you entirely... just asking the questions that others are asking. I worked on a farm all through high school busting my ass for 7 dollars an hour. Went to college for a pharmacy degree and worked 40+ hours a week just to survive at around $8-10 an hour because that's what interns make in pharmacy. Had to finance almost my entire education, basically betting on myself making it through. Now I make crazy good money and feel that I've earned every penny. I'm with you 110%.

Good for you. We need more people to do this, then to get a job a McDonalds and then talk about how they struggle to put food on the table for their family of 5.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I never mentioned this, but as I was half awake in the ER, I heard the nurses talking to someone in the other room. He was talking about having gotten something stuck and how embarrassed he was, but he hasn't had a GF for a while and had to do something. Sounded like an older gentleman. No ideas the details, but I can certainly imagine... :whistle:
    Heard from one nurse about a guy that had a vacuum cleaner tube stuck on his member. He was asked how it happened. He said he slipped while vacuuming, nurse looked him in the eye and asked do you always vacuum in the nude? Guy turned beet red and didn't say another word. Another guy "didn't see" the glass coke bottle sitting on the couch when he sat down.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    How sad that her biggest laugh is when she faints.

I mean if that was supposed to be part of the act, then THATS the punchline. And it’s a hilarious one. I’ve seen the video. She may have intended to fall down. She claims she seized or passed out or whatever. Either way she didn’t intend to crack her skull.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Question is, what takes the place of the lightbulb in that strategy now that it is an LED
    Also, who uses mercury thermometers anymore? You can pick up a digital no touch IR instant read thermometer for $20 at Walgreens.

So now you have to be more clever than that. But I suspect kids these days don’t need proof of fever. Just cry.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I prefer the mercury ones, but you can't find them.

The don't require batteries, and I don't worry about the calibration.
    But, I've spent my whole life calibrating instruments, and most people don't even think about calibration.
    Same here. Before we had a house fire we had a couple. Picked them up at garage sales/flea markets/etc. But they've been getting harder and harder to find.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

But, I've spent my whole life calibrating instruments, and most people don't even think about calibration.
    Every time I set the local barometric pressure in the Kollsman window on my altimeter I think of calibration

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

A couple of months ago when I felt like I had some kind of "bug", I took my temperature with a cheap electronic thermometer (orally) and at one point, it read 105.7! I didn't feel like I had a fever, but I got in the car and drove myself to the ER, all the time thinking, "Am I gonna stroke out?"

Got to the ER and they took my temperature. 98.6. :n00b: I just happened to still have our thermometer in my sweatshirt, so I took it again with mine and it read 103 point something. I threw it in the trash.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

You take a baseline and look for increases above your baseline and calibration doesn’t matter so much. If you’re concerned about the absolute reading accuracy then calibration is more important. If I want to know how far my temp is above “normal” the digital thermometers are gonna be pretty accurate.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    You take a baseline and look for increases above your baseline and calibration doesn’t matter so much. If you’re concerned about the absolute reading accuracy then calibration is more important. If I want to know how far my temp is above “normal” the digital thermometers are gonna be pretty accurate.
    This. Ours reads my normal temp around 96.5-97.0. So when I see a 99 I know I’m running an actual fever.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I don't think those things have the range, but if I didn't have a Prime Standard at work, boiling water (sea level) is 212F and ice cubes in water should be 32F.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Well, that depends on how bad the cal error is.
    An error in the "zero", that's fine.
    But if the gain is off, let's say 1/10th of a degree shows up as a degree, and that could make you s*** your pants.

Top Bottom