• ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Well, having taken a few classes myself, I somewhat disagree. I agree that a lot of what is taught is not applicable to vast majority of people, but I don't think that's the purpose. There are plenty of adults that are never going to compete in the NBA, NASAR, or MLB, but that doesn't stop them from going to adult camps and doing things they enjoy or want to learn about. You'll see a lot of guys that simply want to be around like minded people, learning some interesting stuff, and punch holes in paper. It beats lounging around on the couch.

So "Recreational Training"? INGO party foul, to the penalty box with you! Personally I always carry a carbine in my trunk and keep body armor/chest rig ony bed post. :):

Truth be told I have nothing against people paying their money to get this type of experience. I think the tacticool stuff is fun. But US patriot is right in that a lot of it is not the most practical for bald, overweight guys like me that work in a cubical all day.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Well, having taken a few classes myself, I somewhat disagree. I agree that a lot of what is taught is not applicable to vast majority of people, but I don't think that's the purpose. There are plenty of adults that are never going to compete in the NBA, NASAR, or MLB, but that doesn't stop them from going to adult camps and doing things they enjoy or want to learn about. You'll see a lot of guys that simply want to be around like minded people, learning some interesting stuff, and punch holes in paper. It beats lounging around on the couch.

Do you keep a carbine, body armor, etc in your vehicle at all times? If not, then why did you take the training? My pistol is always with me, that's why I am focusing on USPSA. As it's more practical. I like to run and gun, but it's not practical day to day.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I agree with the philosophy of taking whatever level of training that suits ones own practical (keyword) needs and anything beyond that I consider to be extra curricular. If it's something that you want to spend your money on then have at it. As for myself, I personally am not into all the tacticool hoopla.

To each his own I guess

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Do you keep a carbine, body armor, etc in your vehicle at all times? If not, then why did you take the training? My pistol is always with me, that's why I am focusing on USPSA. As it's more practical. I like to run and gun, but it's not practical day to day.

I agreed it wasn't practical. I was only stating that many people do it because it's enjoyable to them. As of myself, I don't always keep a carbine (depends), but I do always have body armor in my vehicle.... but my situation is unique.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Kutnupe is a LEO so his needs would be different. Running a carbine may very well be part of his job requirements. With the new expectations for how LE is expected to deal with "active shooters" I would want for all officers to have body armor and a carbine.

Just because this doesn't apply to the rest of us poor working stiffs doesn't mean it isn't fun or we are interested in the experience. Pay my fee get my kicks. It is a market. Personally I focus on handguns but I do plan to do a little carbine work this summer.

US you didn't just equate USPSA to real training did you. You know that gamer crap will get you killed in the streets.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

Wouldnt USPSA be more practical if they didn't allow shooters to walk through the strings before shooting them? How many bad guys let you see what they are going to do before they do it? I'm certainly not knocking USPSA, but if practicality is the standard, they could certainly improve the game.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Wouldnt USPSA be more practical if they didn't allow shooters to walk through the strings before shooting them? How many bad guys let you see what they are going to do before they do it? I'm certainly not knocking USPSA, but if practicality is the standard, they could certainly improve the game.

That is why I only shoot IDPA

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Kutnupe is a LEO so his needs would be different. Running a carbine may very well be part of his job requirements. With the new expectations for how LE is expected to deal with "active shooters" I would want for all officers to have body armor and a carbine.

Just because this doesn't apply to the rest of us poor working stiffs doesn't mean it isn't fun or we are interested in the experience. Pay my fee get my kicks. It is a market. Personally I focus on handguns but I do plan to do a little carbine work this summer.

US you didn't just equate USPSA to real training did you. You know that gamer crap will get you killed in the streets.

I'm not saying it's not fun. I don't have my carbine and gear with me every where I go, but I do my pistol. I'm not saying USPSA is training. Anyone can stand and shoot at a stationary target and be proficient. Add multiple targets, reloads, movement, and a timer. You see your faults real quick. I have become a better pistol shooter shooting matches, then running drills on a static range.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm not saying it's not fun. I don't have my carbine and gear with me every where I go, but I do my pistol. I'm not saying USPSA is training. Anyone can stand and shoot at a stationary target and be proficient. Add multiple targets, reloads, movement, and a timer. You see your faults real quick. I have become a better pistol shooter shooting matches, then running drills on a static range.

Didn't you host some run-and-gun events? Have you never taken carbine or shotgun training? Not carrying a rifle or fun on a daily basis should never stop someone from getting training. I don't carry my .308 everyday, but I want to take a sniper class this year.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom