• ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    This sounds like the same issue that Vert had, which stopped his plans.

Have not clicked the link but yes sounds similar. It is a OK to build a private range in the country. If the range is a commercial range open to the public then it is subject to zoning. Some counties even have a range permit. Using the property for training is a somewhat grey area. Incidentally this is why conservation clubs have to be careful about allowing "commercial businesses" to operate.

My instructors insurance moves with me. I name the property on the policy. For example the conservation clubs are named on the policy.

Edit: I watched the clip. Normal arguments, too noisy and too dangerous. I tend to have an interesting perspective about zoning since many years ago my job required me serve on a zoning board. Community development is interesting, but so long as one property owner is not causing damage to their neighbors then I don't see where it is really anybodies business. My response regarding shooting ranges is as such: so long as bullets don't leave the property then the facility is safe. As long as noise leaving the property is below levels that are considered safe, then again no problem. Just because a person can hear me does not mean I am injuring them.

The company I currently work for gets to deal with hog production and application of agricultural chemicals/fertilizer. I figure the only thing that gets people stirred up worse then gun ranges is hog buildings and spray planes.

Last edited:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    That is probably it. I have a range on my parents property up the road from me. As long as it is just me shooting there the only complaints I get are from the Chicago people with their summer homes in the area. The police usually tell them to stuff it. If however I turned it into a commercial enterprise I suspect there would be issues.

Funny as I have my own little private range at my home. We had some yuppy people move close by and start in with the whining. I always consider the time of day, not to early or too late, no Sundays ect. Heck I even bought a suppressor. After 3 or 4 years they are moving. Not sad to see them go.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Looks like some other youtubers are having some fun:

10299036_497666130377059_6064906786133738099_n.jpg
    This definitely reinforces the accusation that Erika is only there for sex appeal. (not that we couldn't already figure that out.)

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    When my wife and I took the Bloovman course out at Range Time a few weeks ago, this zoning thing was starting to get heated.

We were supposed to do a 9am to 9 pm or 10am to 10pm class so that the last hour or two would be lowlight. At about 5 pm, Cory got a call from some local government person advising that the injunction had been approved. The injunction being that no one could shoot after 7pm for noise reasons. Apparently a neighbor/some neighbors had filed this.

As a result we had to stop at 7pm. We lost our lowlight shooting portion, although Jeff did give the lecture portion and we stayed and talked about different tactics and other stuff, we just couldn't do live fire. Personally, I didn't really care-12 hours is a long time on the range in the heat and we had some child care issues to get back to Indy for. And I've shot plenty in lowlight. However, if I were coming to the class for the lowlight stuff, I'd probably have been disappointed.

Cory apologized profusely over and over and to make it up to us, he offered a free 2-day course to each one of us that was in the class. One of Range Time's courses, not a visiting instructor.

I thought that was pretty good of him to do, given the circumstances, last minute notification during the class, etc. I'm not sure I'll travel out there for the class, get a hotel, etc. But if the range goes away, I guess it won't matter anyway.

Cory was explaining the zoning thing but to be honest I wasn't really paying attention too well. I think he was saying that they had everything approved and zoned properly but there were some complaints about noise. This led to looking at all of the paperwork or zoning options or whatever and that led to these hearings. Like I said, I wasn't really paying attention to all that local gov stuff but it sounded like RT had done everything right on the front end and had proper approvals before they even started working on the property but who knows?

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Zoning is evil, especially in rural areas.

Currently in Montgomery County, we do not have zoning. It's a constant fight to keep it that way and if you drive through, you will see signs! Unfortunately, there aren't many opportunities to buy significant chunks of land suitable for ranges anyway.

I know more than one person who has zoning issues with ranges in Putnam County. Apparently Putnam County sucks.

What other counties don't have zoning?

Agreed, Zoning can be Evil. I've been told Greene County, has No Zoning and No Building Permits. We are starting (Owen) to suffer from the influx of liberals fleeing Bloomington/Monroe County moving here and now wanting to Restrict the very things that they left their former residence for, Freedom. Even in my very Rural area we've had a few Carmelites move in and now they want the area Changed. Same hood that it was when they bought but now want to turn this area into Carmel Light :xmad:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    As for Cory and Erica, I watched the in the beginning mostly because they were local, but I've decided they probably weren't the right fit for me.

The one really good thing they have done in the world of training is bringing some big names to the local area, ie to my backyard.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Agreed, Zoning can be Evil. I've been told Greene County, has No Zoning and No Building Permits. We are starting (Owen) to suffer from the influx of liberals fleeing Bloomington/Monroe County moving here and now wanting to Restrict the very things that they left their former residence for, Freedom. Even in my very Rural area we've had a few Carmelites move in and now they want the area Changed. Same hood that it was when they bought but now want to turn this area into Carmel Light :xmad:

Missouri is looking better and better. If you live outside of the city, you can do pretty much anything you want.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    as for Cory and Erica, I watched the in the beginning mostly because they were local, but after multiple conversations with a friend of mine who knows Cory, I wrote them off for any training needs pretty quickly. The only good thing they have done in the world of training is bringing some big names to the local area.
    Have you seen Panther Ridge Training Center on youtube? Kinda close to Bloomington but they have a nice training facility and it's somewhere I've thought about trying out.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Have you seen Panther Ridge Training Center on youtube? Kinda close to Bloomington but they have a nice training facility and it's somewhere I've thought about trying out.
    Watch some of their YT vids, seems Cory would be a better instructor judging from what they have on the net. I have no experience with them, and really don't want to downplay or denigrate what they may be able to do or teach, but the videos don't speak much for quality training?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I've trained under guys some hate and others guys seem to love. I certainly don't mean this in a derogatory way, but only one trainer was able to teach me something different; I mean in applying what I've learned. The others seemed to just re-teach the same lessons and basic skills. But, that is okay with me. I don't expect a class to always "teach" me something, but use the opportunity to have another person evaluate and put his finger on what I can do differently to improve. All of my trainers have done this. Also, I don't go into a class expecting a former SEAL to make me into a SEAL. This seems to be what most people are after when talking about resumes.

Jackson has authored a few threads about what makes a good trainer, but the bottom line is, most people are not going to pay to receive information from someone they do not like or respect, regardless of their resume. The minority have the ability to overlook personality differences, if the experience or training will promote growth. I'm not sure what the future holds for Cory, but I certainly wish him the best.

Last edited:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I've trained under guys some hate and others guys se to love. I certainly don't mean this in a derogatory way, but only one trainer was able to teach me something different; I mean in applying what I've learned. The others seemed to just re-teach the same lessons basic skills. But, that is okay with me. I don't expect a class to always "teach" me something, but use the opportunity to have another person evaluate and put his finger on what I can do differently to improve. All of my trainers have done this. Also, I don't go into a class expecting a former SEAL to make me into a SEAL. This seems to be what most people are after when talking about resumes.

Jackson has authored a few threads about what makes a good trainer, but the bottom line is, most people are not going to pay to receive information from someone they do not like or respect, regardless of their resume. The minority have the ability to overlook personality differences, if the experience or training will promote growth. I'm not sure what the future holds for Cory, but I certainly wish him the best.

Excellent Post :yesway:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I've trained under guys some hate and others guys se to love. I certainly don't mean this in a derogatory way, but only one trainer was able to teach me something different; I mean in applying what I've learned. The others seemed to just re-teach the same lessons basic skills. But, that is okay with me. I don't expect a class to always "teach" me something, but use the opportunity to have another person evaluate and put his finger on what I can do differently to improve. All of my trainers have done this. Also, I don't go into a class expecting a former SEAL to make me into a SEAL. This seems to be what most people are after when talking about resumes.

:+1:

Oooh, another pile on in this thread.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I've trained under guys some hate and others guys seem to love. I certainly don't mean this in a derogatory way, but only one trainer was able to teach me something different; I mean in applying what I've learned. The others seemed to just re-teach the same lessons and basic skills. But, that is okay with me. I don't expect a class to always "teach" me something, but use the opportunity to have another person evaluate and put his finger on what I can do differently to improve. All of my trainers have done this. Also, I don't go into a class expecting a former SEAL to make me into a SEAL. This seems to be what most people are after when talking about resumes.

You mean promote growth by playing up your non existent military carrier that did'nt even get started and pimping your girls assets?

Top Bottom