Not open for further replies.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Because some people (reasonably) view mask-wearing mandates to be more about government control/social engineering of behavior than about public health.

For me, it is because there is (that I have been able to find yet, anyway) simply no scientific data that support the assertion that healthy/non-symptomatic people wearing masks has any impact whatsoever on the spread of coronavirus, and I inherently oppose the constraint/compulsion of otherwise lawful behaviors of free people based on nothing more than the offended feelings of the irrationally fearful.

I guess... then I also see people likening it to tyranny, or (hopefully joking) Stars of David. Certainly there are more reasonable ways to see it.

I was perfectly fine with encouraging masks. Leave it up to the people to decide. Yes, I do have a problem when mandates come about.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I guess... then I also see people likening it to tyranny, or (hopefully joking) Stars of David. Certainly there are more reasonable ways to see it.

I was perfectly fine with encouraging masks. Leave it up to the people to decide. Yes, I do have a problem when mandates come about.

It is tyranny. Being forced to wear a virtue signaling article of clothing so a lifetime politician can collect brownie points with his base, is absolutely tyranny.

Forcing businesses to be closed because of an illness that isn't meaningfully more dangerous than your average seasonal flu, is tyranny.

Instilling so much fear in people that the average person welcomes these infringements on their life, and is even willing to brow beat their peers into accepting it, is tyranny.

It's just sad that so many people are so terrified by the propaganda that they can't understand how much is being taken from them.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The term "masks" is thrown around pretty loosely and includes a whole spectrum of facial coverings from those homemade cloth things to military gas masks. Some masks are indeed designed to protect the wearer from inhaling a whole variety of compositions and sizes of particulate matter. Technically these are respirators but are frequently called masks by most normal people. However I repeatedly see this ignored in here. The masks designed to protect the wearer are not useless to both the surrounding population and the wearer.

I only have three masks but they are all designed to protect the wearer. One is a Sperian P1130 which is a P100 mask and has an exhaust valve so probably protects the wearer more than the surrounding population.

And it only makes sense that when we are dealing with airborne particles that any kind of filter is going to do "some" filtering and provide "some" protection greater than zero.

If microdroplets are the thing, and would have gotten all the way to your face for the mask to be relevant, what about eye pro? They think those same droplets wouldn't happily land on their cornea and discharge their viral load into fertile territory?

I see a great deal of attribution of all case rate reductions being attributed to mask wearing and all increases to re-opening. Also, its not additive. If your cloth mask stops 20% of micro droplets from being emitted, that doesn't mean if two people are both wearing cloth masks that the efficiency goes to 40%

View attachment 88477

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Crappy health care? Try again...

https://www.healthsystemtracker.org...-clot-rate-after-hip-or-knee-replacement-2015

https://www.commonwealthfund.org/pu...20/jan/us-health-care-global-perspective-2019

I also would suggest that you look up the number of yearly deaths in the United States caused by medical error and lack of access before you go thumping your chest on how brilliant our healthcare system is in this country. Additionally, I bet no one in (insert other developed nation here) avoids calling an ambulance because they've been stung by a $2500 bill in the mail before. You know what I've seen in person? People who avoid going to the doctor because it's too expensive. How many people end up dying because of THAT?

And I would suggest you check under whose health care system most, if not all, cutting edge medical interventions are developed. Medical progress costs money, and those other countries are quite willing to let us pay to develop it. There is a reason that people that could afford to go anywhere go to the Cleveland Clinic for cardiac issues

While I am somewhat sympathetic to the plight that not everyone can afford the best care, not everyone can afford first class, either. The answer isn't to make all the seats 'free' and expect the same level of service will be able to be maintained

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The term "masks" is thrown around pretty loosely and includes a whole spectrum of facial coverings from those homemade cloth things to military gas masks. Some masks are indeed designed to protect the wearer from inhaling a whole variety of compositions and sizes of particulate matter. Technically these are respirators but are frequently called masks by most normal people. However I repeatedly see this ignored in here. The masks designed to protect the wearer are not useless to both the surrounding population and the wearer.

I only have three masks but they are all designed to protect the wearer. One is a Sperian P1130 which is a P100 mask and has an exhaust valve so probably protects the wearer more than the surrounding population.

And it only makes sense that when we are dealing with airborne particles that any kind of filter is going to do "some" filtering and provide "some" protection greater than zero.

Yes, this is the primary difference. As far as I'm concerned, it's no different from calling an AR15 an assault rifle - and used for a similarly deceptive purpose.

Masks and respirators are not the same thing. Masks do not provide the filtration protection of respirators; it is why respirators have to be fitted properly, and fit-tested, in order to be effective. Any break in the edge seal massively reduces the filtration efficiency of the respirator.

Further, and of primary importance for this discussion: public policy is not being based on respirators. (I will grant that the two are intentionally conflated in the social-engineering graphics that get passed around, showing the alleged efficacy of wearing "masks", but that use contamination reduction percentages based on respirator usage. But I am unaware of any public policy that has required the usage of respirators in response to coronavirus.)

"Wear a mask" means just that: wear a mask, not a respirator.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Mask-wearing? No. Being required to carry "papers" showing that one is covid-free or immunized (including being vaccinated)? Too close to bad parts of history for my liking.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Yes, this is the primary difference. As far as I'm concerned, it's no different from calling an AR15 an assault rifle - and used for a similarly deceptive purpose.

Masks and respirators are not the same thing. Masks do not provide the filtration protection of respirators; it is why respirators have to be fitted properly, and fit-tested, in order to be effective. Any break in the edge seal massively reduces the filtration efficiency of the respirator.

Further, and of primary importance for this discussion: public policy is not being based on respirators. (I will grant that the two are intentionally conflated in the social-engineering graphics that get passed around, showing the alleged efficacy of wearing "masks", but that use contamination reduction percentages based on respirator usage. But I am unaware of any public policy that has required the usage of respirators in response to coronavirus.)

"Wear a mask" means just that: wear a mask, not a respirator.

Like I said, the term "mask" as it is used today does not differentiate. It includes cloth thingies and respirators, even the military calls a gas mask a "mask". It is generic term that covers the whole spectrum.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Because we are a fractious people who have never liked being told what to do
    Fractious people all right. Some don’t want to be told what to do. Some want to be told what to do. And some want to tell people what to do. I’m kinda thinking the latter two are in cahoots.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well today was different

Went to the Meijer on Southport - I spotted maybe one person, not including myself, not wearing a mask. It's like **** changed overnight and everyone got their marching orders.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Well today was different

Went to the Meijer on Southport - I spotted maybe one person, not including myself, not wearing a mask. It's like **** changed overnight and everyone got their marching orders.

Hoggsett gave y’all like a 14 day grace period didn’t he? I guess some folks are overachieving toadies.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I see 514 new cases and 19 deaths.. That's over the entire state. Heck the Flu kills that many in a week.

Only 8 deaths reported for 7-2. The other 11 are late reporting from Allen County dating clear back to 4-19. I guess somebody dropped a file behind a desk and just found it 2 months later.

Today’s death count includes 11 deaths in Allen County occurring between 4/19/2020 and 6/22/2020 that were not initially reported to ISDH.

So the ISDH thinks the trend looks bad because we're down to an average of 8 deaths a day this week?

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I see 514 new cases and 19 deaths.. That's over the entire state. Heck the Flu kills that many in a week.

In July???? I may be wrong, but...

In the famous words of Al Borland to Tim "Tool Time" Taylor.....

image.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom