nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Wear your mask...

[video=youtube;qGYQU1WRGxI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGYQU1WRGxI&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR07O9s 5ocB3OJBLywhT18wrvKhhO9gDijzf7I-RRP_k60PbY55KOFxoFyQ[/video]

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Wear your mask...

[video=youtube;qGYQU1WRGxI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGYQU1WRGxI&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR07O9s 5ocB3OJBLywhT18wrvKhhO9gDijzf7I-RRP_k60PbY55KOFxoFyQ[/video]

So she's mocking self-righteousness and condescension by producing a self-righteous condescending video.

PS - this same woman claimed Howie Mandel was kidnapped in order to get those sweet, sweet YouTube clicks. Perhaps she should return to smoothies for horny people.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    sat·ire

/ˈsaˌtī(ə)r/
    Learn to pronounce

noun

• the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

iu

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    The 1st link below show deaths per million population (column on far right) in countries.
    I realize political agendas distort number of deaths attributed to CV and are manipulated over/under in reporting, but it is about the only thing we have for comparative purposes.

Reported: US has 500 deaths per million rate.

Wouldn't dividing the 500 deaths by 1 million give you the % of deaths for 1 million of the population of the US (0.0005)?
    Then, that number (.0005) would be applicable for all 331 million population for the US?

This is the table that I used online:
    Decimal to percent Conversion
    Enter decimal number: 0.0005
    Convert
    Percent result: .05% (This would be 5 hundreths of 1%)

This seems way too low.
    Not a math person, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
    A friend was telling me the death rate of CV in the US was less than 1% but this is way beyond "less than 1%."

Reported deaths by each country due to CV:
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

I was also looking at death rates per states in the US (link below).
    He lives in a state incredibly low & he gives me grief b/c I wear a mask when around others.
    IN has 45 deaths so far, much lower than some other states.
    Most surrounding states are a little higher than IN.

I told him Indy was the 13 largest city in the US so my experience/attitude is different, plus my wife is high risk & I can't be bringing home something from an asymptomatic person.
    He knows of noone who has had CV, but in my different circles I do, although fortunately, like I've read on INGO, it has been mild, not unlike other viruses.

Deaths by each state in US due to CV:
    https://www.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#cases

Deaths "per population" will be more useful when the epidemic is over or some similar parameter: like we go back to close contact and large events and most of us have potentially been exposed.

Using it now is like giving 1 out of 20 people a new vehicle to drive and declaring the safety rate of that vehicle based on EVERYONE's accident rate.

Comparing between countries on a "per population" basis might be useful if they got hit the same time, have similar cultures etc. Otherwise they might just be at a different place on the curve.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Deaths "per population" will be more useful when the epidemic is over or some similar parameter: like we go back to close contact and large events and most of us have potentially been exposed.

Using it now is like giving 1 out of 20 people a new vehicle to drive and declaring the safety rate of that vehicle based on EVERYONE's accident rate.

Too funny! The analogy is a fail in my book for your point. It does work perfectly for my point, testing only the sick, those that fear they are sick, and others with the motivation to get tested "is like giving 1 out of 20 people a new vehicle to drive and declaring the safety rate of that vehicle based on EVERYONE's accident rate."

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Comparing between countries on a "per population" basis might be useful if they got hit the same time, have similar cultures etc. Otherwise they might just be at a different place on the curve.

We don’t have a very good denominator to compare with, and some kind of per capita deaths is about the best we have. It does have the disadvantage of not telling the full story. Comparing each country’s deaths per capita at the same instance doesn’t account for timing along the curve. It is useful to track it over time for each country individually though. We can apply statistics to detect potential pending hotspots. And we can normalize the timing to compare the curves for each country.

About the analogy, the problem with it is that it’s not 1 out of 20. It’s 1 out of n, where n is mostly unknown, but proportional with the number of death.deaths.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Too funny! The analogy is a fail in my book for your point. It does work perfectly for my point, testing only the sick, those that fear they are sick, and others with the motivation to get tested "is like giving 1 out of 20 people a new vehicle to drive and declaring the safety rate of that vehicle based on EVERYONE's accident rate."

That’s not exactly right either for much the same reason. The number of people getting tested isn’t fixed. It’s 1/n, where n is somewhat proportional to the number of people in the population being compared per time period, and not all that proportional with the number of people who died.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I don't know about the whole country, but Indiana has the total ICU bed availability and the percentages used for COVID, used for other purposes and unused., on its "dashboard".

https://www.coronavirus.in.gov/2393.htm

Thanks for posting that.
    I'd lost track of where I filed it & have been wanting to get another peek at it to see if the mandate on wearing masks here in Indy was b/c the beds in ICU were filling up.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My employer just announced that testing is available by appointment, but if you're symptomatic at the time of your appointment, do a virtual screening or see your primary HCP. :dunno:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The gym owners clean the place up. And ask why their business is deemed not okay, when others in the same building are. Especially when the case can be made that being healthy is important.
    Also, a Dept. of Nat. Resources has asked it's employees to wear a mask during zoom meetings, even if they are BY THEMSELVES. To give an "appearance".
    And someone wants to charge non-mask wearers for "attempted murder".

[video=youtube;Mo2Y7QlNFXc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo2Y7QlNFXc[/video]

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    The gym owners clean the place up. And ask why their business is deemed not okay, when others in the same building are. Especially when the case can be made that being healthy is important.
    Also, a Dept. of Nat. Resources has asked it's employees to wear a mask during zoom meetings, even if they are BY THEMSELVES. To give an "appearance".
    And someone wants to charge non-mask wearers for "attempted murder".

[video=youtube;Mo2Y7QlNFXc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo2Y7QlNFXc[/video]
    Mask or not, I don’t really care all that much. Reading the headline of the screenshot, indicates that you have to have a license to run a gym. And people are just going nuts that they’re being asked to wear a mask.
    Let’s fix a real problem.
    I know it’s too late, but a fella can dream, can’t he?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Mask or not, I don’t really care all that much. Reading the headline of the screenshot, indicates that you have to have a license to run a gym. And people are just going nuts that they’re being asked to wear a mask.
    Let’s fix a real problem.
    I know it’s too late, but a fella can dream, can’t he?

Yes, they need a license. Why was it revoked? There was no "event" at their place. They were doing all the cleaning stuff they were supposed to do.
    A dollar general next door can sell unnecessary crap, but is allowed to open.
    A bus is allowed to be crammed full.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom