• Status
    Not open for further replies.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    A mild refutation - really a review - of the Oxford Model. It is cast along similar lines to our discussion here. :)

https://reason.com/2020/03/25/half-...-infected-with-coronavirus-says-oxford-model/
    [FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif] On the other hand, if the disease risk is severe then the observed deaths suggest that very few people must currently be infected.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Going with this one. simply because of the wait time from infected to symptomatic,and then more waiting on time needed before hospitalization.I would say not low case numbers,low numbers that are sick enough already to need beds. and as we can see that number is rising alarmingly.[/FONT]

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Also, in the UK, I can't help but wonder if there's also a cultural/governmental motive to "protect the integrity" of the socialized medicine system. That is, can't blame centralized health care for either the outbreak or the burdens caused by it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It’s sad we live in a time where governments care more about protecting their policies than they do about giving reliable numbers and solutions.

I remember stories about Vietnam casualty counts and the... math... that went into them. I'm not sure governments have ever really cared about reliable numbers. :/

Speaking of which, Italy's mortality rate has busted through 10% based on the latest numbers.

They've also traced the possible origin of Italian and Spanish hotspots to be a Champions League soccer match on February 19. That match had about 40k people in close proximity to each other, and that was just during the game.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    point of order... that's the Rod of Asclepius

We had a few reports of doctors and nurses in France who had their cars broken into.:xmad:

Most of them have a card a a sticker with a caduceus on them with the mention "physician" or "nurse" on them.
    Some keep special parking badges from their hospital on the windshield too.

Apparently people are looking for masks, gloves and handsanitizer in those vehicles, often also stealing the card to avoid controls at police checkpoints, since healthcare professionals don't have travel restrictions.

Not sure if it's a thing in the US too?

It's a good reminded to not keep any sticker or clues that could give away what's in your car (NRA stickers etc).

Medical kits, guns, ammo etc ... You can guess what's in a vehicle based on many things.

We had people trying to break into our local fire station as well, also to steal masks from first responders.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...that's the Rod of Asclepius

Heh... Heh... Heh...

He said, rod.

tenor.gif

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Found out my MiL likely had/has it. She was previously high risk for Pneumonia, so she has been getting a vaccine annually to protect herself. So she experienced the illness without the life threatening side effects. She too has no sense of taste now. Hasnt been tested, but she sings in a group with other retired people. Several of those folks are sick. One I believe has tested positive and is in ICU and not doing well. MiL is thin and relatively fit, that gent in the ICU is overweight and far from the picture of health.

We havent seen the inlaws in months, thank God.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I mean, he has zero domain knowledge other than what he reads on distastefully bright-colored websites that peddle bull****.

Do you seriously believe Trump gets his information only from bad websites and that he doesn't have expert advisors and teams of people behind them on damn near every subject known? Have you been in close proximity to some contagious TDS patients recently?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    As noted over and over across INGO and other blogs/message boards with a more conservative membership-after they have jacked up their liberal paradises, they migrate to other areas not yet suffering from the miasma their policies bring. For example, Californians invading Colorado.

So, when their hyper-dense living and lack of individual amenities (like no individual vehicle, no washer and dryer) turn out to be sub-optimal for appropriate social distancing, they flee, bringing their unrealistic values with them.

I know Sig's post was in snark, but it identifies the point. They're cool with living like that, until they're not.

Wearing a MAGA hat whilst living in a cardboard box under a train trestle doesn't sound all that appealing to me.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    At this exact moment, I was really concerned about the arts and humanities.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ke...ropriations-bill-attached-to-stimulus-package

The appropriations text, released Wednesday along with the draft bill itself, includes $25 million in funding for the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington D.C. That is down from the $35 million that was included in the recent Democratic-proposed House legislation.
    The Senate bill also provides $75 million to each the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Endowment for the Humanities. That is down from the $300 million for each that was in the House stimulus bill.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom