• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think the Indiana health director just said that a COVID-19 patient in ICU spends 14 days there, on average.

Wow.

That's a long time.

I wonder if the "over" are the ones that get better and the "under" are those that don't.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    They're saying 30m of an N95 mask in an oven at 158f sterilizes them with virtually no loss in filtration.

Also... obviously homemade cloth masks aren't going to stop everything, but they're still helpful. Wife is a seamstress, thinking of pumping some out if there's a hospital or something that would accept them. Lot of unused fabric.

I'm wondering why they couldn't be autoclaved (saturated-steam sterilized)? Hospitals typically have autoclaves, right?

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    At this exact moment, I was really concerned about the arts and humanities.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ke...ropriations-bill-attached-to-stimulus-package

The appropriations text, released Wednesday along with the draft bill itself, includes $25 million in funding for the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington D.C. That is down from the $35 million that was included in the recent Democratic-proposed House legislation.
    The Senate bill also provides $75 million to each the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Endowment for the Humanities. That is down from the $300 million for each that was in the House stimulus bill.

:facepalm:

We're all gonna die...

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I don't know about the appropriations, but in the Age of the Stream, musicians typically make their money by touring and playing. Unlike the guy in the audience, I don't see them getting unemployment when their venues shut down. I may be wrong.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I'm wondering why they couldn't be autoclaved (saturated-steam sterilized)? Hospitals typically have autoclaves, right?

Autoclave temps are about double that, and at pressure, which could cause some materials to break down.

Plus, something like my N95 filters for my respirator could handle the oven, but the steam of an autoclave would destroy them. So, good into to know!

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Indiana
    Positive cases 477
    Deaths 14
    Total tested 3,356 (not sure why it is so low).
    https://coronavirus.in.gov/

Minnesota
    Positive cases 262
    deaths 1
    total tests 5812
    https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/situation.html

Today Minnesota reported an additional number of tests. The number you have, which is the MN Dept Health lab, and now they added approximate external lab tests.
    The current numbers are
    Positive cases 287
    Deaths 1
    MDH tests 6365
    Ext lab tests 5110

Which would make total tests 11475

Who knows how many external lab tests the states are missing in the reporting?

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

Polypropylene melts between 250 and 350 degrees. Probably degrades significantly well before actually melting in it's spun bond form, as in a N95 mask.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    At this exact moment, I was really concerned about the arts and humanities.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ke...ropriations-bill-attached-to-stimulus-package

The appropriations text, released Wednesday along with the draft bill itself, includes $25 million in funding for the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington D.C. That is down from the $35 million that was included in the recent Democratic-proposed House legislation.
    The Senate bill also provides $75 million to each the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Endowment for the Humanities. That is down from the $300 million for each that was in the House stimulus bill.

Right? We are not barbarians! We will NEED, I say NEED the arts while we are at home, laid off, and starving. Priorities, my man, PRIORITIES!

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I don't know about the appropriations, but in the Age of the Stream, musicians typically make their money by touring and playing. Unlike the guy in the audience, I don't see them getting unemployment when their venues shut down. I may be wrong.

I don't doubt what you say Alpo, but none of that money is going to get to the starving artists. Plus, there's several 100's other venues that are just as deserving.

A few snips from the article:

That $25 million for the Kennedy Center is designated to helping the center "prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus, domestically or internationally, including deep cleaning and information technology to improve telework capability and for operations and maintenance requirements related to the consequences of coronavirus."

Last fall The Kennedy Center completed a $250 million renovation, which was funded through donations. according to the Washington Post. A 2017 report on the center's financial status revealed that the Kennedy Center's total net assets amounted to upwards of $400 million.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So anyway, more than one thing can be true. It's true enough that it's not Trump's fault that these idiots took downed fish tank cleaner because it had the chemical Trump orgasmed over in a presser. It's their fault. Trump claimed hydroxychloroquine would help people. But he didn't say to take it in the form OF FISH TANK CLEANER, for ****'s sake! The second thing that's true, is that Trump should STFU about things he knows nothing about, and let the experts talk.

Please explain exactly what Trump said that was incorrect about the malaria drug?

A Prrsident leading a war on a pandemic, that is being briefed constantly, certainly should tell the public he serves information he has learned. It is good to give hope. The whole point of representative government was that we are not experts and expect our representatives to gather information, share that information with us, and act on that information. The idea the the President cannot talk about a promising drug is ludicrous...

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I don't doubt what you say Alpo, but none of that money is going to get to the starving artists. Plus, there's several 100's other venues that are just as deserving.

That $25 million for the Kennedy Center is designated to helping the center "prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus, domestically or internationally, including deep cleaning and information technology to improve telework capability and for operations and maintenance requirements related to the consequences of coronavirus."

Last fall The Kennedy Center completed a $250 million renovation, which was funded through donations. according to the Washington Post. A 2017 report on the center's financial status revealed that the Kennedy Center's total net assets amounted to upwards of $400 million.

If the National Endowment for the Arts is anything like other arts organizations I'm familiar with, they have favorite arts and artists, and money is doled out to board members' friends and favored causes. Not to mention a lot of the stuff they fund isn't anywhere near what I personally would consider "art."

I agree; this funding, if it survives, will not directly assist any starving artists. It's congresspersons taking care of their friends.

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area

Yeah....I haven't seen the details yet. I'm sure there are orchestras that need to get paid. But, it sounds like a government handout for something other than salaries.

As to whether music is more worthy than the guy building trailers in Elkhart?.......I'll have to recuse myself.

But...I will say....nah.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The MSM spends all day trying to blame Trump, but when a real blame can be laid at a democrats door the media attack.

On Tuesday President Donald Trump read off a Gateway Pundit article headline to FOX News anchor Bill Hemmer during their interview, “NY Gov. Cuomo Rejected Buying Recommended 16,000 Ventilators in 2015 for Pandemic, Established Death Panels and Lottery Instead.

The TGP report written by contributor Kristinn Taylorwas based on a column published earlier this monthby the esteemed former New York Lieutenant Governor Betsy McCaughey (who served under Governor George Pataki), a February report by the New York Times and a 2015 press release by the Cuomo administration.

And we also discovered evidence from a New York State Health Department important report on why the decision was made to reject purchasing emergency ventilators.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...nd-focused-on-lotteries-death-panels-instead/

I am just amazed by the incredible volume of real news buried in MSM reporting the conservative media find and make a real headline out of, but they sure hate it when they do...

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Yeah....I haven't seen the details yet. I'm sure there are orchestras that need to get paid. But, it sounds like a government handout for something other than salaries.

As to whether music is more worthy than the guy building trailers in Elkhart?.......I'll have to recuse myself.

But...I will say....nah.

As the owner of two trailers built in Elkhart (camper and utility), I think I would have to agree about which will have a greater immediate positive impact!

Not that music is unimportant, but IMHO it is a choice between industrial output serving a market and something that is "nice to have."

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

But...I will say....nah.

Nobody is giving $300 million to guys building trailers in Elkhart either. Can confirm...

My assumption is that we all get the same UI benefits from our state(s) as anybody else. Not sure how that works if you're an independent filing on a 1099, but if you don't qualify for the benefits then you likely weren't paying into the system either.

Not picking sides on "artists vs. the world", but that's some BS pork that doesn't need to be in that bill. Run it through another bill and let the haggling begin, but get the important stuff that addresses the most people done now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom