• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I'm not sure anyone was going all tiki-teotwawki - at least not among those I interact with (including on here).

This isn't a mutually exclusive thing. The flu (and related pneumonia) can be bad, without being a pandemic. Especially with a novel virus like this, that no one has antibodies too (at least not at the beginning), any comparison to the flu is kinda irrelevant.

Maybe. IANAD, but flu deaths from pneumonia and covid deaths from pneumonia differ...how? Sure, we don't have antibodies...and in many cases we don't have flu vaccines that are effective against current flu strains. Seems to me, ARDS is ARDS. Different vectors, similar results.

Chart pneumonia deaths for the last 5 years. How does the 2019-2020 season compare so far?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    They actually tweeted this, then deleted and apologized

EU8cD8MWoAIrWJh

He's had a lot of practice

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Restaurants are, in fact, essential. Why? Because of supply chain. As a country, our food consumption is distributed approximately 50:50 between grocery stores and restaurants. There is simply no way that the grocery supply chain could handle a doubling of supply for any length of time.

I said, arguably. I think a case could be made that a lot of other businesses that are closed now are way more essential than many of the ones that are open now. So yeah. A case could be made for either.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    From my vantage point, it means watching the numbers to confirm we are flattening the curve.

Depending on what criteria you use, the flattening started around 3/23 or 4/3 or hasn't really started yet. If the next couple days worth of daily deaths are in the 1.2k range, then I'm willing to say that we've crossed from exponential growth to linear. That'd be good. It means that the wildfire still burns thousands of acres, but we have it mostly contained.

If we get through the next week with steady, or ideally decreasing numbers, then we can talk about when things can re-open, especially at a local level. Of course, I'd like to see a current discussion of those criteria. That's something you and I both agree on.

world deaths are on a decreasing slope last three days. Deaths are going to lag new cases by about a week. April 3 we had 103k new cases world wide. Then 84k. then 71k yesterday. I am hopeful we have seen the peak in overall cases. We are certainly way past exponential growth.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I wonder what would happen if the world suddenly discovered that china had a vaccine all along and "the party" leaders were all vaccinated.

We would need to wear different masks because of the nuclear fallout. Well, you guys would. I've got mine.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    NY deaths are down. indiana new cases are down. world new cases flattening out.

what are criteria to re-open?

we supposedly did all this to "flatten the curve". now that we have, are we going to start opening again? or has it changed to "we have to stop anyone from catching it"

Where have numbers of new cases or hospitalizations flattened? Indiana had 536 new cases yesterday,the highest ever. https://coronavirus.in.gov/
    As far as deaths yes Sunday had less reported deaths than Saturday,but a single 24 hour period is almost meaningless(not to mention current deaths where infected 6-14 days ago on average).

What would you have us do honestly?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Where have numbers of new cases or hospitalizations flattened?
    As far as deaths yes Sunday had less reported deaths than Saturday,but a single 24 hour period is almost meaningless(not to mention current deaths where infected 6-14 days ago on average).

Put mayors and governors in charge of when to re-open. A drive through car wash was shut down. That is stupid. Make judgement calls locally. Ask the city what they want to do. If there are like four cases in their county, do they want their county shut down?

april 1: 77k
    April 2 80k
    April 3 101k
    April 4 84k
    April 5 71k

You have to go back to March 30th to find a day with fewer new cases than yesterday. Is that because it was Sunday? Maybe. But we are past exponential growth. And frankly it seems entirely flat world wide. MOST of the US does not have this virus. That is what is so striking. 26 states have under 2000 cases. 45 Indiana counties have 10 or fewer cases.

Open them up, shut down marion and surrounding counties, chicago, Louisville, evansville.

Ft Wayne has 75 cases. Seventy Five.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Where have numbers of new cases or hospitalizations flattened? Indiana had 536 new cases yesterday,the highest ever. https://coronavirus.in.gov/

Sunday numbers are slow to come in sometimes because... Sunday.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Put mayors and governors in charge of when to re-open. A drive through car was was shut down. That is stupid. Make judgement calls locally. Ask the city what they want to do. If there are like four cases in their county, do they want their county shut down?

April 2 80k
    April 3 101k
    April 4 84k
    April 5 71k

You have to go back to March 30th to find a day with fewer new cases than yesterday. Is that because it was Sunday? Maybe. But we are past exponential growth. And frankly it seems entirely flat world wide. MOST of the US does not have this virus. That is what is so striking. 26 states have under 2000 cases.
    Indiana had 536 new confirmed cases 4/5/2020,the highest number of new cases so far for the state.
    Governors are in charge,5 states still have no stay at home orders.
    Florida has mayors that are for sure not following the governor and keeping beaches open.

The CDC,White House ect are only offering suggestions,and mention that daily. It all falls to governors.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Is that the only demand? Not familiar with that particular situation, but a number of these things seem modeled on Pelosi's coronavirus proposals. They start out with some language addressing worries about coronavirus infection and then present a laundry list of unrelated demands for more pay, paid sick leave, health insurance for part time workers yada yada

I think they basically don't want to go back to work.

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...iance-workers-protest-return-work/2933698001/

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Put mayors and governors in charge of when to re-open. A drive through car wash was shut down. That is stupid. Make judgement calls locally. Ask the city what they want to do. If there are like four cases in their county, do they want their county shut down?

April 2 80k
    April 3 101k
    April 4 84k
    April 5 71k

You have to go back to March 30th to find a day with fewer new cases than yesterday. Is that because it was Sunday? Maybe. But we are past exponential growth. And frankly it seems entirely flat world wide. MOST of the US does not have this virus. That is what is so striking. 26 states have under 2000 cases. 45 Indiana counties have 10 or fewer cases.

Open them up, shut down marion and surrounding counties, chicago, Louisville, evansville.

Ft Wayne has 75 cases. Seventy Five.

10 days ago only 6 counties in Indiana had any cases.
    Just thought I would point that out.
    Governors run shutdowns,no one else(some mayors choose to not follow those orders).

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I will go with the doctor on this one. Let local officials decide. We have less than ten cases, as of yesterday, in my county. I think we are still in for a rough ride, but we can quit hyperventilating now.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

Indiana had 536 new confirmed cases 4/5/2020,the highest number of new cases so far for the state.
    Governors are in charge,5 states still have no stay at home orders.
    Florida has mayors that are for sure not following the governor and keeping beaches open.

The CDC,White House ect are only offering suggestions,and mention that daily. It all falls to governors.

our last few days, moving backwards. That's not logarithmic. we have no exponential growth. Curve is flattening. Also, look outside of Indy and Chicago area. This is a non-entity.

our number of ventilated patients is decreasing.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom