Not open for further replies.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    We did discuss the difference between cpap, bipap and vent just a little in the first thread.

I went out and bought the biggest bottle of oxygen for my torch that I could, after researching and learning that industrial oxygen is just fine to breath, just drier than hospital oxygen.

It sounds like to me oxygen is bad for the virus, vent is bad for the lungs.
    I have O2. Medical grade and some nasal cannula's, maybe one mask.
    It wouldn't be enough to last long for sustained use.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This will lead to over reporting of Covid-19

Should “COVID
    -19” be reported on the death certificate only with a confirmed test?
    COVID-19 should be reported on the death certificate for all decedents where the disease caused or isassumed to have caused or contributed to death. Certifiers should include as much detail as possible basedon their knowledge of the case, medical records, laboratory testing, etc. If the decedent had other chronicconditions such as COPD or asthma that may have also contributed, these conditions can be reported in PartII. (See attached Guidance for Certifying COVID-19 Deaths)

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/...w-ICD-code-introduced-for-COVID-19-deaths.pdf

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This is quite stunning.
    The government models used to predict the extent of the coronavirus pandemic are off by huge margins in the latest coronavirus tracking numbers.

The current government predictions reported by Covid Tracking (https://covidtracking.com/data/ ) for Apr 5th show:

– All beds needed: 179,267
    – ICU beds needed: 33,176
    – Invasive ventilators: 26,544

covid-model-600x455.jpg

Those were the predictions.
    The actual numbers as recorded at The Covid Tracking Project

– Actual hospitalizations: 22,158
    – In ICU: 5,207
    – On ventilator: 656​

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    This is quite stunning.
    The government models used to predict the extent of the coronavirus pandemic are off by huge margins in the latest coronavirus tracking numbers.

The current government predictions reported by Covid Tracking (https://covidtracking.com/data/ ) for Apr 5th show:

– All beds needed: 179,267
    – ICU beds needed: 33,176
    – Invasive ventilators: 26,544

covid-model-600x455.jpg

Those were the predictions.
    The actual numbers as recorded at The Covid Tracking Project

– Actual hospitalizations: 22,158
    – In ICU: 5,207
    – On ventilator: 656​

yeah, I just posted about that on FB. supposed to need 170k beds today but with only 340k positive probably only need 40k beds.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    long but interesting

36,000 people die from every 1% increase in unemployment, according to a 1976 study by Harvey Brenner of Johns Hopkins.

Political Economist Toby Rogers, PhD, calls them them "deaths of despair," and they include heart attacks (50%), suicide, alcoholism, homicide, mental health and prison issues.

42 further studies have corroborated that unemployment kills a lot of people, including a meta-analysis in 2011 showing that unemployment increases mortality rate by 63%.

Since that study was done, the U.S. population has increased by 60%. So I've adjusted the number accordingly:

That's 57,600 deaths per 1% rise in unemployment.

Those who believe that the economic shutdown is warranted are using the "false dichotomy" logical fallacy that we're choosing "lives over money." Nothing could be further from the truth.

This is NOT a binary question ("lives versus money"). We've always had OTHER options than destroying our economy. Good ones.

Options used by other countries in far better control than we are, in our outbreak that has killed 6,600 Americans and 57,000 worldwide.

Herd immunity, if a majority of us were exposed to this virus (which we will be, anyway, if we haven't already been), would make us immune for life.

And, the evidence shows most of us "get" the virus with cold- or flu-like symptoms, or no symptoms at all.

If our March unemployment rate of over 18% equals 1,036,800 U.S. deaths, according to the original study, supported by dozens of others --

-- we are, then, taking a terrible approach, economically AND in terms of public health.

The unemployment rate will continue to skyrocket in the coming two months of "lockdown."

So that figure of 1 Million+ U.S. resulting deaths will only go up, dwarfing what the UK's Professor Neil Ferguson predicted from COVID19.

(Which Ferguson has revised downward, by orders of magnitude. He said 2.2M would die worldwide, and then he said 200K--and has since admitted this is also not likely to happen. In fact, he has said that we will be paying "for decades, for what we did this year," in response to his prediction.)

What will the death toll of 2020's economic chaos be worldwide if it's 1M in the U.S.?

Last week, ABC News and Washington Post released results of a poll showing 51% of Americans have already have their work hours or pay cut, by the shutdown.

Goldman Sachs did a survey released last week that 51% of the 1,500 small businesses surveyed will fail if the economy remains locked down for 90 days.

Economist Dr. Rogers said we are guilty of "bad thinking based on bad data that leads to bad decisions."

Ready to begin standing up and speaking up, anyone?

--Robyn Openshaw

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Just how many bodies would satisfy you people?
    "Oh bummer, we didn't hit the projected goal this week." That's pretty much what I'm hearing.

Instead, shouldn't we be happy about that? Oh that's right, people lost money so they're mad.
    Well OK. Blame somebody. How about China.

BLAME CHINA.
    Since it's actually all their fault.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    We can’t blame China. Besides, this is trumps fault.

Im just hoping one of the drugs they keep testing and shows promise will actually be an effective treatment.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    which "you people" are you referring to?

Just how many bodies would satisfy you people?
    "Oh bummer, we didn't hit the projected goal this week." That's pretty much what I'm hearing.

Instead, shouldn't we be happy about that? Oh that's right, people lost money so they're mad.
    Well OK. Blame somebody. How about China.

BLAME CHINA.
    Since it's actually all their fault.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    A lot of people stayed home, like me... and it looks like it is helping.
    Patients received hydroxychloroquine and/or azithromycin and/or zinc... and it looks like it is helping.
    The goal was to lower the curve... and it looks like we are doing it.

Wouldn't this be a great time to get foolish and blow it?

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    A lot of people stayed home, like me... and it looks like it is helping.
    Patients received hydroxychloroquine and/or azithromycin and/or zinc... and it looks like it is helping.
    The goal was to lower the curve... and it looks like we are doing it.

Wouldn't this be a great time to get foolish and blow it?

im sure it’ll happen somehow.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    No one is talking about going out an kissing everyone in the community because this is over.

BUT....the data isn't adding up yet. We still don't have what appears to be adequate and reliable testing for the genral population. I'm glad to see that Boston and Cleveland are going to do some sampling.

But looking at the charts noted by Doc above, along with the charts like the one below.....it gives one pause.

chart1-1.jpg

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Except....
    This isn't the flu. It's not even close to being the flu. I don't give a flying **** about the death rates of the flu because.......

IT'S NOT THE FLU!

Lets compare apples and 3 toed tree sloths next. :):

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Except....
    This isn't the flu. It's not even close to being the flu. I don't give a flying **** about the death rates of the flu because.......

IT'S NOT THE FLU!

Lets compare apples and 3 toed tree sloths next. :):

No. It's not THE flu.

But, flu data is available. And the way all of the data comes together so far...gives one pause. That's all I'm saying.

WHONPHL13_small.gif

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    No one is talking about going out an kissing everyone in the community because this is over.

BUT....the data isn't adding up yet. We still don't have what appears to be adequate and reliable testing for the genral population. I'm glad to see that Boston and Cleveland are going to do some sampling.

But looking at the charts noted by Doc above, along with the charts like the one below.....it gives one pause.

i had no idea Boston was also doing it. Good, that’ll give a better sample size, hopefully we can get some accurate numbers from that. The problem with this is how little we know about it right now. Hopefully in a few years we look back at this and laugh how stupid we were and how easy the fix, but we gotta get there first. And yes, the charts do give a different perspective of this. I just want life to go back to normal, it’s spring.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Until China releases a mutated form next year
    Hopefully next year we will be better prepared. If we don’t make changes to our lives after this, and the government doesn’t better prepare for future outbreaks, then frankly we deserve it. I’m hoping some good comes of this, and that good would be everybody keeping stocks of food, medical supplies, waters, etc. and the government keeping tabs on our medical devices and personnel. One can hope

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom