• Status
    Not open for further replies.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    400,000 a year die from smoking each year yet it's legal. And it overwhelms our healthcare system.

But we destroyed our economy and the lives of tens of millions on purpose.

Why are some lives more valuable?

Finally, someone get's it! The individual does not matter, it's all about "society" and the group. Anyone who becomes an hindrance to "society" or the group should be allowed to die or even encouraged to die. Such burdens only hinder "society" or the group and should be eliminated.

Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot approve of this message!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Quick note to those following the numbers (perhaps only both of you) ;) we are up to about 50 additional deaths reported today, already.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Very interesting and insightful. Plus a good visualization of "How the Virus Got Out": https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

No surprise that the NY Times presentation whitewashed the Chinese government culpability.
    But Chinese officials did not alert the public to the risks in December. It wasn’t until Dec. 31 that they alerted the World Health Organization and released a statement — and a reassurance.

It didn't mention their actively suppressing doctors warnings, disappearing journalists, destroying research info and other steps to keep the public and the world uninformed as the disease spread.

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    No surprise that the NY Times presentation whitewashed the Chinese government culpability.

It didn't mention their actively suppressing doctors warnings, disappearing journalists, destroying research info and other steps to keep the public and the world uninformed as the disease spread.
    Just minor details....

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

Don't forget burning the infected bodies............ before they were dead.
    Kq3mmvS.gif

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Quick note to those following the numbers (perhaps only both of you) ;) we are up to about 50 additional deaths reported today, already.

Yeah, looks like 36 of them are up in NY. Their mortality rate is roughly .88% to date (based on the numbers shown).

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Ok government: let's talk.

You shut down the entire economy and ruin the financial lives of tens of millions over concern for loss of life and to stop our medical system from being overwhelmed. Fine.

Smoking kills 400,000 per year and overwhelms our medical system. Yet it's legal. If you want us to believe you care then ban it today. What's the worst that can happen? Are you afraid black market "unsafe" cigarettes will pop up? Or are you afraid they will be "untaxed" and you won't get revenue from them? Cigarettes are basically an inheritance tax on those under the threshold.

Smoking makes your odds of dying from this virus MUCH higher. So we can't run our economy but we CAN buy cigarettes. Asses.

I am getting tired of our overlords.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, looks like 36 of them are up in NY. Their mortality rate is roughly .88% to date (based on the numbers shown).

Yeah, I'm not a fan of either NY or Cuomo, but they're accounting for about 1/4 of the US fatalities from this. Their desperation makes sense, so I can't really criticize their response.

(The rhetoric, though, pretty much sucks.)

They want the focus of all US efforts to be on them. I get that desire. But that doesn't make it the right thing for us, as a nation.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ok government: let's talk.

You shut down the entire economy and ruin the financial lives of tens of millions over concern for loss of life and to stop our medical system from being overwhelmed. Fine.

Smoking kills 400,000 per year and overwhelms our medical system. Yet it's legal. If you want us to believe you care then ban it today. What's the worst that can happen? Are you afraid black market "unsafe" cigarettes will pop up? Or are you afraid they will be "untaxed" and you won't get revenue from them? Cigarettes are basically an inheritance tax on those under the threshold.

Smoking makes your odds of dying from this virus MUCH higher. So we can't run our economy but we CAN but cigarettes. Asses.

I am getting tired of our overlords.

Would it make you feel better if we made it illegal to get COVID-19? ;)

ETA:
    You're tired of overlords, but want them to have MORE regulations? :D I'm not following that logic....

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Would it make you feel better if we made it illegal to get COVID-19? ;)

ETA:
    You're tired of overlords, but want them to have MORE regulations? :D I'm not following that logic....

I get it. But if they are going to wield this sort of power to "save lives" than do it where it will do more good. It essentially proves they are lying dicks and there's other intentions at play, both in blocking our economy AND allowing smoking.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    FWIW

"NBA star Rudy Gobert says he's suffering from some awful side effects of the Coronavirus ... claiming he's lost his sense of both taste AND smell since his diagnosis."

https://www.tmz.com/2020/03/23/rudy-gobert-sense-of-smell-coronavirus-nba-diagnosis/

:(

Hopefully that's temporary.

Oh, and those two are linked - if you loose one, you loose the other.

...and I had a fellow beer judge that had that happen as of a result of using some funky pine nuts in his pesto. He got better.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I’m curious about something. According to the worldometers web site, roughly 2% of the covid patients are “serious or critical”. They give a number of 795 people. Even assuming most of those are in NY, is that number a number that would be overwhelming our medical system? Or is it that the other 98% are consuming more of the services than they should be? There’s something about all of this that doesn’t make a lot of sense.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I get it. But if they are going to wield this sort of power to "save lives" than do it where it will do more good. It essentially proves they are lying dicks and there's other intentions at play, both in blocking our economy AND allowing smoking.

I know you're having a rough time right now, but I think you're starting in the wrong place, conceptually.

For one thing, the cigarette taxes have become a reliable revenue source for (mostly) state governments. And convenience stores. Banning them would have an economic impact that is difficult to quantify.

Also, there's lots of things we could eliminate to save lives, like driving and red meat. But, that comes at a societal cost, too.

The societal cost of the economic impact from COVID-19 is not because of the gov't reaction. Rather, it is the virus itself. The gov't action of shutting things down, or encouraging private entities (like the NCAA) to shut things down is a result of the virus. Not a result of draconian desire to gut the economy.

You can probably run the numbers better than I can. But if "we" allowed those mass gatherings to occur, the death toll would be staggering AND we would be in the same place we are now, with people staying at home, by their own choice, out of fear of catching this.

Again, I know you're going through things during this time, but some sort of government intervention was appropriate. I am not sure what was too much, but I am pretty confident about what would not have been enough.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County

I have seen your posts in this thread. Many of those posts discuss how slow things have become in your area and how this has adversely effected your and your wife financially.

Just because you and many Americans have chosen to reject financial preparedness does not mean that people should be allowed / encouraged to die for your financial convenience.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of either NY or Cuomo, but they're accounting for about 1/4 of the US fatalities from this. Their desperation makes sense, so I can't really criticize their response.

(The rhetoric, though, pretty much sucks.)

They want the focus of all US efforts to be on them. I get that desire. But that doesn't make it the right thing for us, as a nation.

An interesting comparison showing trajectories of countries since their 10th CV death.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETyNy57WsAAVTAl?format=jpg&name=large

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yep I'm tired of them too Doc.
    The bad of govt is starting to outweigh the good.
    So much corruption and even the investigation into the corruption is corrupt

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom