Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Some rando on Reddit preppers sub.

Opinions? Or just doomspeak?

Don't eat all your non-perishable food right now. FAO: "We risk a looming food crisis". START GROWING FOOD.

The worst effect of the pandemic is to come. For sure there is an economic crisis on the works, but also the FAO (The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations) warns of a possible food crisis in the horizon (Q&A: COVID-19 pandemic ? impact on food and agriculture | FAO | Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations question 1).

Because of total quarantines in several countries, crops won't be tended, and convalescent agricultural workers won't be able to do their jobs properly. Lots of crops this year will be lost, and many for the next just won't be planted.

Your country may be spared of the worst of the disease, yet not many are self sufficient, food wise. Food may become too expensive or rare.

In the middle of a crisis, our options are limited, but, though coronavirus may have a 3% death rate, famine can have a 100%, so we need to act nonetheless.

What to do:

The best small scale solution, if you can, is to start growing your own food. When the worst of the health crisis passes, start farming. There are lots of resources online on urban farming.

The vegetables you plant may be ready to eat before the crisis comes next year, yet it will allow you to save the non-perishables. Eat a potato today, save that rice for later.

Even if the crisis doesn't hit your country, you'll get some farming experience.

I live in a small house in a third world country, and I've managed to make a small orchard in my backyard in the last week. Also we're going to plant my cousin's backyard (when the corona lessens), beause it's so much larger (like 500 m2). I think it will do.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    So they are saying that they expect 1/3 of the checks resulted in a no-go? As I said previously, that's alarming for a good few reasons.

They said the same thing for last month too, but by about 1/2.

No. A number of states (like Illinois & California) are using background checks for buying ammo and other non-gun purchase events.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010

I expect that migrant agricultural workers are going to have a hard time getting into the U.S. and moving around. But that's an issue for fruits and vegetables more than most of the farming in our area.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some shortages in produce, but I would be very surprised to see overall food shortages in this country. Never hurts to be prepared, though.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011

It is overblown, but points in the right direction. There are actually a lot of negative events hammering food production around the world this year and as you may remember, last year wasn't exactly farmer-friendly, so stocks are down. You don't need to be self-sufficient by any means in the US, but any food production you can add to the situation relieves a little pressure on the food systems. Here are some of the pain points for producing food this year:

I'd encourage anyone who has an interest to try their hand at a garden or some other food production, even if it is just a couple of tomato plants in pots.

Here is a video on making some of the simplest self-watering 5-gal bucket planters I've seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8aE9nd8D4s

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Earlier in the thread, someone asked about travel and Constitutionality.
    Then he was attacked for trying to be irresponsible.

I could be wrong. But I'm on my phone and don't really feel like hunting down posts.
    But I don't remember him saying to run around for no reason.
    I just remember him asking the question.
    I do remember one of our LEOs answering the question, or at least giving his opinion, with no insults.

Just because someone has a question on law, doesn't mean that person wants to infect people.
    But there is legitimate questions of "how much power", "how long", and "how do we take the power back, once granted".

In Seattle, a police chief just told residents to call 911 for hate crimes and racist speech.
    I don't like crime, or racism.
    But there is supposed to be free speech.
    But it seems that once given the chance, various people will try to greatly expand power.

That is what some are worried about.

Maybe this can be discussed, without assuming the person asking questions wants to run around coughing on people.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I created a couple maps that show the Change in Confirmed Cases and Change in Death for Indiana. It shows the Number of Change and the County.

Confirmed Cases: https://api.mapbox.com/styles/v1/qw...b3czbnMwbnI2dmxza2gifQ.-xTCW6DSefyAoClSHoVt_A

Deaths: https://api.mapbox.com/styles/v1/qw...b3czbnMwbnI2dmxza2gifQ.-xTCW6DSefyAoClSHoVt_A

There is also a printed list available here: https://twnwi.com/
    Allen Country, for having the 3rd highest population, is doing surprisingly well. Either they’re doing well at social distancing, or they’re not testing. Hamilton co has fewer people and 4x the cases.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

It is a real issue and though does not appear to be a problem for most now it most likely will be.

The USA did away with our grain reserves in 1996. At a federal level there is nothing,no back stop no back up.

That leaves the private sector.

So many places that package and manufacture food are shutting down across the USA.

Prepare.

Not like this will be over in June or July. It does not matter.

You can look at the numbers,you can guess when restrictions will be lifted. Honestly it does not matter at this point.

What does then?

The impact on exports and imports(we should stop exporting so much food it would buy us time).The manufacturing base failing.

Go grab a can from your pantry. Look at it. No really look at it.

Where did the materials for the can come from? Where was it made into a can? Where did the coating inside come from? Now where did everything in it come from? Where was it processed and put in the can? Where did the label come from? Where did the inks come from?

Hopefully you are starting to understand what I mean. The just in time supply system is not tight,it shattered.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    https://abc7.com/officials-engineer...8MkFGtLvvyxGT4hf3MMXWM_DRJAX8o2rTx29mtzfQJeKg
    Prosecutors: Engineer deliberately ran train off tracks in attempt to smash the USNS Mercy

What the actual F?

Just saw that. :nuts:

Attacking a navy hospital ship would be a war crime, even a foreign enemy combatant wouldn't do that, too bad that guy will be trialed as a civilian.

That's despicable.

And attacking a ship with a train ... yeah that's a solid plan.I wonder why this tactic wasn't used more often during WW2. :facepalm:

Apparently the ship stopped 250 yards away from the ship.Turns out you need tracks for a train to move ...

4edad19c-c6f7-47bb-9737-f003e25a4dc3-AP20092852490008.jpg

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Earlier in the thread, someone asked about travel and Constitutionality.
    Then he was attacked for trying to be irresponsible.

I could be wrong. But I'm on my phone and don't really feel like hunting down posts.
    But I don't remember him saying to run around for no reason.
    I just remember him asking the question.
    I do remember one of our LEOs answering the question, or at least giving his opinion, with no insults.

Just because someone has a question on law, doesn't mean that person wants to infect people.
    But there is legitimate questions of "how much power", "how long", and "how do we take the power back, once granted".

In Seattle, a police chief just told residents to call 911 for hate crimes and racist speech.
    I don't like crime, or racism.
    But there is supposed to be free speech.
    But it seems that once given the chance, various people will try to greatly expand power.

That is what some are worried about.

Maybe this can be discussed, without assuming the person asking questions wants to run around coughing on people.
    It's great to have that discussion, it's tough because so many are giving the virus priority. It's like good chance of death now vs some perceived inconvenience later, which I'm sure we'll regret to some degreee, but the first thing you do in a car wreck is hit the brakes, the load coming loose behind you is secondary even though it might be the bigger mess.

If you kept track off who it was, he jumps in here from time to time with a very resentful and snarky tone, never productive, sometimes responded to with sincerity and sometimes with name calling, but never reengages any of it. I'm still waiting for engagement of my sincere questions to him but don't figure its worth bringing it back up. Therefore I completely agree with the "don't be a dick" response. He's certainly free to engage and try to be a part of the solution but seems like he just wants to complain. Or drunk post, but doesn't have Vigilant's mad skills.

Anyway, there's lots of people who want to discuss this, but there were certainly more 2 or weeks or 2 months ago before they were convinced the virus was truly an impending wreck and not a hoax or whatever.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom