Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    For smokingman...

a9DrjNf.jpg

I've never thought a meme needed to be in purple until now.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    It is overblown, but points in the right direction. There are actually a lot of negative events hammering food production around the world this year and as you may remember, last year wasn't exactly farmer-friendly, so stocks are down. You don't need to be self-sufficient by any means in the US, but any food production you can add to the situation relieves a little pressure on the food systems. Here are some of the pain points for producing food this year:

I'd encourage anyone who has an interest to try their hand at a garden or some other food production, even if it is just a couple of tomato plants in pots.

Here is a video on making some of the simplest self-watering 5-gal bucket planters I've seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8aE9nd8D4s

If the economy is so bad and people are out of work, can we replace the migrant workers with Americans? Will they stoop that low? Literally and figuratively? I doubt it, but it's part of the big reset plan I see could happen. Along with making the government smaller, as discussed above a little.

Growing your own food is awesome.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    EUmNf_lX0AI9NLF

https://twitter.com/StateHealthIN/status/1245682552993656832

We know you have been home awhile for a few weeks,but here is an idea. Watch tv....sigh.

How about do everything you never had time to get done instead?

Work outside around your house,instead of being stuck in it?

Maybe become better organized.

Sort through clothing and things you do not need.

Make masks.

Build something.

Call old friends you rarely talk to.

Talk to family not living with you.

Find productive projects you would like done.

Learn about a topic that interest you.

The just sit and watch tv is really not going to help anything.
    :twocents:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    If the economy is so bad and people are out of work, can we replace the migrant workers with Americans? Will they stoop that low? Literally and figuratively? I doubt it, but it's part of the big reset plan I see could happen. Along with making the government smaller, as discussed above a little.

Growing your own food is awesome.

I doubt it. It didn't even come close in 2009 with 10% unemployment. Planet Money did an interesting episode recently on the topic: https://www.npr.org/2020/03/25/821593542/episode-984-food-and-farmworkers

In North Carolina alone farmers needed 6,500 workers for jobs that had been done by migrant laborers. Only 163 Americans applied, and only 7 did the job for the whole season.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Today I have finally become inconvenienced by this stuff. It is beautiful out today and Mikes Carwash and The Tube carwash are closed. What the ****. :)

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    An article about where we are at concerning antivirals for covid-19.
    https://first10em.com/antivirals-for-covid19-not-ready-for-clinical-use/

The latest study, which has not been peer-reviewed by other scientists yet or published in a scientific journal, took samples from 11 patients' rooms after they had been placed in isolation following a diagnosis.
    The researchers found viral particles in the air both inside the rooms and in the hallways outside of the rooms.
    Their finding suggests people may be able to contract the bug without ever being in direct close proximity to an infected person.

Lead author James Lawler, an infectious diseases expert at the Nebraska University, said in a statement: 'Our team was already taking airborne precautions with the initial patients we cared for.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...r-lingers-rooms-long-patients-left-study.html

The study is not out yet,but they are sharing what they learned. Why through the media I am not sure.
    When the study does hit even in preprint I will post it so we can see what methods where used,but I do not doubt the basic premis.

That you can get this without being near someone who has it,and that it lingers after an infected person leaves. It does match with the cdc/nih study showing it remained aerosolized for 3+ hours(at 3 hours it had reduced by 50%)
    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2004973

Last edited:

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Today I have finally become inconvenienced by this stuff. It is beautiful out today and Mikes Carwash and The Tube carwash are closed. What the ****. :)

Soft cloth, car wash detergent and elbow grease.

Now we have descended into barbarism!

This is a small reminder of the economic impact. We have several cars with the Crew Car Wash (formerly part of Mike's) unlimited monthly pass. I am surprised they stayed open as long as they did, and I respect the (mostly) young men and women who work there. We got an email last week, they were temporarily closing and would not charge our monthly fees until well after they reopened.

That is a lot of revenue lost and several people out of work. Car washes are clearly not essential, but they keep the cars pretty nice, and blasting off the salt in winter and Indiana grunge in the summer extends the life and appearance of the vehicles.

Another small impact. But a bunch of small impacts add up to bigger impacts.

It will not hurt me to lovingly and gently hand wash my cars. But I appreciated the service provided by Mike's/Crew, and look forward to them returning.

ETA: while drafting this post, I could see Ballstater's post on the Chicago convention center. It all adds up. :(

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Dirt busters did also here. They could’ve easily closed off the detailing area and never interacted with anyone. I don’t even roll my window down with the membership. Frankly, in terms of the economic factor, all jobs are essential.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    An article about where we are at concerning antivirals for covid-19.
    https://first10em.com/antivirals-for-covid19-not-ready-for-clinical-use/

The latest study, which has not been peer-reviewed by other scientists yet or published in a scientific journal, took samples from 11 patients' rooms after they had been placed in isolation following a diagnosis.
    The researchers found viral particles in the air both inside the rooms and in the hallways outside of the rooms.
    Their finding suggests people may be able to contract the bug without ever being in direct close proximity to an infected person.

Lead author James Lawler, an infectious diseases expert at the Nebraska University, said in a statement: 'Our team was already taking airborne precautions with the initial patients we cared for.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...r-lingers-rooms-long-patients-left-study.html

The study is not out yet,but they are sharing what they learned. Why through the media I am not sure.
    When the study does hit even in preprint I will post it so we can see what methods where used,but I do not doubt the basic premis.

That you can get this without being near someone who has it,and that it lingers after an infected person leaves. It does match with the cdc/nih study showing it remained aerosolized for 3+ hours(at 3 hours it had reduced by 50%)
    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2004973
    Yeah but you have the government telling people they dont need to wear masks and that masks dont help and only healthcare workers need masks bla bla bla.
    Maybe that's why they are going to the media? The government is still lying to people about masks trying to hoard all of the masks.
    You go on Amazon to or any online major retailer and they all are holding sales of masks, gloves, sanitizer, wipes, to hospitals and government organizations only. THAT is bull****.

The government needs to start giving people, REGULAR people, N95 masks and make them wear them in public. If you dont have them, you get fined period.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah but you have the government telling people they dont need to wear masks and that masks dont help and only healthcare workers need masks bla bla bla.
    Maybe that's why they are going to the media? The government is still lying to people about masks trying to hoard all of the masks.
    You go on Amazon to or any online major retailer and they all are holding sales of masks, gloves, sanitizer, wipes, to hospitals and government organizations only. THAT is bull****.

The government needs to start giving people, REGULAR people, N95 masks and make them wear them in public. If you dont have them, you get fined period.

Yes it is.

It is not nearly as bad as what some hospitals with PPE are doing. Lets say locking PPE up,while telling doctors and nurses they have to wear the same N95 for a week,not because of supply but because of the cost. It has already happened in NY.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Make them wear them?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Just saw a FB post where the Nashville, TN mayor’s office is advertising a new service where you can report “stay at home” violators. It will be interesting to see how far and wide this idea spreads. (I mentioned earlier the state of KY already has one too).

Here’s the link.

https://hub.nashville.gov/s/request-type/a0ut0000000vgMUAAY/covid19-report-violations?language=en_US

What are the rules down there? I assume they must be much more restrictive than here.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I wonder how many hospitals and doctors groups will go bankrupt due to lack of patients over this.

I think there's a misconception that everyone is slammed right now.

it may very well be what leads to socialized medicine when .gov bailout comes. fortunately repubs have Senate a d WH otherwise I suspect it would be an open attempt to nationalize

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    What are the rules down there? I assume they must be much more restrictive than here.

I don’t know. But people love to snitch on others. By reading some of the comments in these CV threads, I’d say a surprising number of INGOers would avail themselves of this too, if/when Holcomb creates one.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom