• Status
    Not open for further replies.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I would not call it a puff piece,given it had one of 6 of the CDC's officially trained contact trace teams. I am certain their was a death of an employee at the facility. I remember reading about them. I believe they where 50 years old. I did not look at the one case and think oh this is the most tragic thing ever.

I looked at what it meant for the over 300 nursing homes in the USA that have at least one confirmed case,and thought about what this study likely meant for them.The science for the study was sound. Can you find any flaw in the study? Any flaw in the methods used to gather information and relate it? Short of a few pieces of language I can over look i did not find a flaw in it.

It was not bad science,and calling it a puff piece? Why? Because so many died,so many where infected? Or is it the language used? I am just trying to understand your point of view.It also took over a month to complete,not sure where you got one week from.The CDC was involved with people on the ground from2/17/2020 The study was released 3/31/2020 well over a month.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2005412

I will add it was probably the preprint of this study that stopped visitors from being allowed in nursing homes and changed nursing home measures to counter covid-19

In the scientific world this kind of low rent observational study offers the lowest scientific merit so yes it is a puff piece lol and not typically worthy of a high impact journal like NEJM. This officially trained contact trace team couldn't even determine the direction of infection from facility to facility not that I fault them for that. According to Table 1. at the time of publication there had not been any employee deaths but maybe it happened later in March? Once information started coming out about the danger to older adults, many nursing homes did start locking down entry and access earlier in March anyway (the CDC put out their report about this article on March 18). I wouldn't call it bad science just not particularly useful. Kudos to the authors though the NEJM is probably the highest impact factor journal out there at 70.6, even beating JAMA at 51.3! It didn't take over a month to complete, the data they used was over a month, in the manuscript they are still citing data from as late as March 18 so they couldn't have finished a manuscript any earlier than that. The e-publication date is March 27 so it was submitted and accepted and published in a maximum of nine days. I'm sorry I wasn't as excited as you were over this study.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    yesterday was the slowest day I can recall ever at my ER. we had 3 patients at 10a. normal is 30. we are down 50% on volume. so many staff, so few patients

indiana hunkered down before it was bad here. let's hope it works

I know that is not good for you personally so please don't take this in a bad way.
    That sounds wonderful for the future of the population in that area. They must be taking preventative precautions to reduce the spread now which also means the ER will have future capacity should the need escalate.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Short answer: this isn't the time, IMHO.

Longer answer: don't be a dick.

Wait, I guess that's actually shorter.

Never mind, then.

Bingo! This is usually the best answer.
    Now if you happen to run into a cop that is a dick then your day could get worse than you had hoped. This possibility could make one wish they had reevaluated the "essentiality" of their reason for being there in the first place.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Freedom: we're not free, we never have been and never will be. In our Declaration, the language used is that of Liberty, not freedom. The word freedom never appears in the Declaration or Constitution; and the word free is only used a couple of times in broader context and not specific to rights. The Declaration talks of "Liberty and the pursuit of happiness" and the Constitution to the "Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity". Liberty is dependent on the external grant of society whereas true freedom is self sufficiency from that or any society and their rules.

To live in liberty in a free society means following the generally agreed upon rules. Demanding freedom to travel during a pandemic is the same as demanding to be able to drive as fast as you want no matter the speed limit, or demanding to be able to shoot your weapons off wherever/whenever regardless of the danger to others.

Your rights extend to where my (and the rest of societies) rights begin. So, protect your liberty and the rights granted you and follow the guidelines being put out or you may very much lose that liberty as you endanger others.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    O don't think it's that there's an excessive drive. People study data to understand the world better. As far as this goes, I'm pretty libertarian on letting people take what they personally, as long as it doesn't harm others. I think at least they should let people get what treatment they want when there's nothing else to lose.

And I don't think they're just waiting for all the bases to be covered. I don't think they think everything has to be perfect. I think Doctors can prescribe it now, but I'm not sure they will given the threat of litigation if things go wrong. I don't really know much about that angle.

ME ran a story about people with Lupus being unable to get the drugs they need, because of panic buying on the hope that it's effective against COVID-19.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Bingo! Because NNBD said Bingo is usually the best answer. So armed with that knowledge I can increase my correctness to “usually”. :):

Don’t just say no. Say “Bingo!”

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I am astounded at you law dogs in all this lockdown stuff. How is any of it constitutional?

Ok lets say you're driving through an area that is under lockdown but is riddled with all kinds of exceptions for essential this and essential that.

Now you get pulled over by police. What is the reasonable articulable suspicion for the initial detainment?

Police Officer comes up to your windows asks for DL and registration and proceeds to play 20 questions.

You decide to exercise your right not to self incriminate. You invoke your right to legal counsel.

Officer ends up deciding to arrest you for violation of this lockdown order.

Where is the evidence the prosecutor would present?

They cant prove or disprove you did or did not fall into one of the many exceptions for travel under the lockdown order.

(and thats assuming the governor or local officials have any authority to mandate a lockdown outside of declaring martial law anyways.)

And with so many issues why waste time on something that isn't happening here?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    A lot of people on Twitter whining at Holcomb, not for being too authoritarian, but not enough. Complaining that ice cream shops and coffee shops are still open. That he should have extended the "lockdown" at least until end of April.

And this is a result and response to national 24 hour news and the loss of local news, particularly radio news and talk. This isn't about the situation on the ground here, it most likely is a result of coverage of the situation on the ground in NY.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Go around and replace all family pictures with other pictures of your choice.

At the very least you can spend the day pretending no one in your house is a part of your family(and point to the "proof" on the wall).

I would not take the time to take frames down,but cut pictures to the frame size and use a piece of tape over the glass. Unless you want to go "all in" and spend loads of time.

Hmmm, should I print photos from the Girls with Guns thread or the Girls Fishin' thread.

Once my wife sees them there won't be any problem with Social Distancing in our house.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    ME ran a story about people with Lupus being unable to get the drugs they need, because of panic buying on the hope that it's effective against COVID-19.

I’ve heard about this panic buying. Chloroquine is a prescription drug, isn’t it? Who’s panic buying it? How could they be doing it if it is a prescription drug?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I may have missed it with the pace this thread rolls at. Has anyone expanded more on this? If so, where?
    I remember another post asking as well but didn't see anything after that.

Here's an example. Information that may actually be useful. Not much commentary on it, looks to be basically ignored. Don't know if the information is accurate, but I remember the post and saved the text, just for my own information. I'll repost it:

You need to go to the store and buy one of these: Pepcid, Tagamet, Adix, or Zantac.

Buy enough for you, xxxxx, xxx, and whoever you want to save, enough last 2 weeks.
    This covers your H2 antagonist drug.

Buy enough Prilosec, Prevacid. or Nexium to do the same as above.
    This covers the PPI Drugs. (Proton Pump Inhibitors)

Lastly, I'd buy a big ass bottle of benadryl or generic benadry. aka... diphenhydramine.
    This covers your need for a H1 antagonist.

You know what benadryl does. But the H2 drugs work in the same way except on different histamines. The PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor) stops monocytes from going into overdrive. (Monocytes = White Blood Cells)

The Coronavirus hits in a similar way to the flu. As it is a "Novel Virus" meaning the body has never seen anything like this... the body goes nuts, to the point that your own immune system kills you in something called a Cytokine Storm.

This is very similar to a "Peanut Allergy", in that it's the bodies response that damages the person not the peanuts.
    When to start this "therapy"? No need to take anything in advance. But at the first sign of "flu like symptoms" I'd start therapy. Take it as directed on the box.

Do not take the PPI and benadryl at the same time. It will be blocked. Take at least 2 hours apart

What makes this virus "The Perfect Storm" is that it:

1. Has up to a 14 day incubation period.
    2. The infected start shedding the virus in as little as 5 days after exposure.
    3. Is as adaptable as the common cold. Meaning that about after each 3rd generation, the virus mutates into something that would require a completely different vaccination.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Bingo! Because NNBD said Bingo is usually the best answer. So armed with that knowledge I can increase my correctness to “usually”. :):

Don’t just say no. Say “Bingo!”

Both the "Bingo" and the "best answer" comment are referring to the bold part in the quote above as is the common custom. Funny you didn't pick up on that.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I’ve heard about this panic buying. Chloroquine is a prescription drug, isn’t it? Who’s panic buying it? How could they be doing it if it is a prescription drug?
    Because there's a lot of shady doctors out there.

Here's the story: https://www.npr.org/2020/04/01/825056946/why-lupus-patients-find-hydroxychloroquine-in-short-supply

Don't forget, prescription opioids require a doctor's prescription...

You need to go to the store and buy one of these: Pepcid, Tagamet, Adix, or Zantac.

Buy enough for you, xxxxx, xxx, and whoever you want to save, enough last 2 weeks.
    This covers your H2 antagonist drug.

Buy enough Prilosec, Prevacid. or Nexium to do the same as above.
    This covers the PPI Drugs. (Proton Pump Inhibitors)
    Great. Now I won't be able to the drugs I need.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Because there's a lot of shady doctors out there.

Here's the story: https://www.npr.org/2020/04/01/825056946/why-lupus-patients-find-hydroxychloroquine-in-short-supply

Don't forget, prescription opioids require a doctor's prescription...

Great. Now I won't be able to the drugs I need.

I posted elsewhere that a few days ago I was listening to a NYC area doctor being interviewed and he said he was taking it as a preventative measure.

(Skip to about the 2:30+/- mark to hear the minimal amount of information they have for why it’s in short supply).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom