Not open for further replies.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    If you agree with them:

What coaches that meet the standard were available midseason to run the team on an interim basis?

Any of the dozens of coaches on staff that have previous coaching experience at the professional level? As opposed to a guy who’s the owner’s buddy who’s never coached anything passed high school. That’s never happened in the history of the league. So literally anyone that has any experience at the professional level would’ve been a more qualified candidate.

Do you believe Irsay a ”meddling” owner?

Generally speaking, no. This year, yes. Owning a team does not qualify you to make personnel decisions. Is it Irsay’s right to hire and fire whoever he wants because he owns the team? Absolutely. Is it best practice? No.

Is it the owners right to order a GM and or coach to try other players when it has been proven their plan failed? Is this meddling? (a pejorative term IMHO)

See above. His right? Yes. Good idea? No.

Do you believe only pedigreed coaches can coach?

There’s a difference between “pedigreed” and “never coached at any level above high school”

Just trying to understand what is “objectively true”…

Answers above

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Generally speaking, no. This year, yes. Owning a team does not qualify you to make personnel decisions. Is it Irsay’s right to hire and fire whoever he wants because he owns the team? Absolutely. Is it best practice? No.
    Does the fact that Jim was the GM of the team previously have any bearing on this? To me it does. It was GM Jim Irsay that got Eric Dickerson here. I also respect the fact that as son as Jim had ownership control he handed off the GM role to Bill Poulian a guy really good at the position.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Any of the dozens of coaches on staff that have previous coaching experience at the professional level? As opposed to a guy who’s the owner’s buddy who’s never coached anything passed high school. That’s never happened in the history of the league. So literally anyone that has any experience at the professional level would’ve been a more qualified candidate.
    I still believe there is something going on in the background that we may never know if we have not heard it by now with staff. Irsay has not, to my recollection ever fired anyone mid season before. There is some trouble being covered up somewhere, which is why the first guy, with experience, would not take the OC job.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Does the fact that Jim was the GM of the team previously have any bearing on this? To me it does. It was GM Jim Irsay that got Eric Dickerson here. I also respect the fact that as son as Jim had ownership control he handed off the GM role to Bill Poulian a guy really good at the position.

To me, no. That was 30+ years ago and the team was garbage for his whole tenure. He got the job because he was the owner’s son not because he was good at it. He sucked at it.

Again, Irsay has every right to make whatever decision he wants to. He owns every single piece of that team.

What I’m saying is, as a matter of fact, him stepping in this season and going directly against his head coach’s and general manager’s decisions because of his “gut feelings” or whatever is NOT seen as a positive thing league wide to potential head coaching and/or general manager candidates.

Whether or not the rest of the league is correct or not about his actions is a whole other discussion. But Irsay’s behavior this year is not viewed in a good light. That is a fact.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I still believe there is something going on in the background that we may never know if we have not heard it by now with staff. Irsay has not, to my recollection ever fired anyone mid season before. There is some trouble being covered up somewhere, which is why the first guy, with experience, would not take the OC job.

Irsay hired Saturday because he’s a hopeless romantic and a dreamer who can’t let go of the past. That’s as deep as it goes.

The team was 3-3-1 when Irsay benched Ryan and told Reich and Ballard to start Sam Ehlinger.

Sam said himself in the preseason that wasn’t ready to play. He played exactly as expected and the season spiraled out of control.

Now, would Frank Reich and Matt Ryan have eventually figured it out and gotten the offense to a manageable level? Probably not, but given Reich’s history, there’s a slim chance he could have.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I'm not understanding why anyone would think the Texans would give up a bunch to get the number one pick from Chicago. All they had to do to get the number one pick was to not win yesterday. Why would they give up picks to get what they already had in their grasp?

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I'm not understanding why anyone would think the Texans would give up a bunch to get the number one pick from Chicago. All they had to do to get the number one pick was to not win yesterday. Why would they give up picks to get what they already had in their grasp?

I don’t think they would have to give up a lot to move up one spot.

Also, if you’ve got a QB in the draft you love, you do whatever it takes to get him. No matter what.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Neither Manning or Luck won a national title at the collegiate level, but they had in common that they elevated the play of the team that they were on.

Young worries me in that regard, he was on the best program in the country but failed to even win his own conference the last two years. Worse yet, they really weren't even a contender this year. He seems to be a great guy, but I don't know. I wouldn't trade up just to get him.

I think they need to find a guy that has the physical skills, but also has a record of making his team much better than it would be otherwise. I like Hooker in that regard even though the ACL is an issue.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    This is just BS from Bleacher Report.

“The organization dealt with a mid-season firing of its offensive coordinator, then its head coach. A meddling owner demanded the team's veteran quarterback be benched. He then hired an unproven entity in the coaching ranks to serve as the interim boss. The team spiraled into the abyss and won only four games after being projected as the favorite to win the AFC South.”

With a veteran QB and solid D everyone expected a lot of the 2022 Colts, including the Owner.

When it was clear (and it was to all of us here) that the coaching staff and veteran QB were failing and it was not being corrected, changes were made. Is that really meddling? No to me.

I wish they should list the coaches available midseason to run a team on an interim basis. They are just parroting the coaches fraternity BS that only those that have “paid their dues” should be given an opportunity, and they hate it when outsiders are given an opportunity. The GM fraternity believes they are special too. Neither are special.

After saying all that they imply that the team went downhill because of their complaints not that what they are whining about was caused by the team that “spiraled into the abyss”…
    The owner firing/hiring front office personnel (including coaches and coordinators) is not meddling. Those decisions belong to the owner.

The owner dictating which players start/play IS meddling. Those decisions belong to the front office personnel the owner hired.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I don’t think they would have to give up a lot to move up one spot.

Also, if you’ve got a QB in the draft you love, you do whatever it takes to get him. No matter what.
    The Bears have their QB and would very likely entertain trade offers for the #1 pick. The Seahawks have a QB, but could very easily consider an upgrade - and if not, then, like the Bears, would very likely entertain trade offers for the #3 pick.

The Colts WILL have to trade up to ensure they get either Young or Stroud. And their offer would have to win over other teams who might be willing to trade more for either of those two picks.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    The Colts WILL have to trade up to ensure they get either Young or Stroud. And their offer would have to win over other teams who might be willing to trade more for either of those two picks.

Add that to Ballard’s thoughts on the quarterback in general and we have a recipe for exactly what I predicted. “Their guy” will already be off the board at #4 and Ballard will trade back.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Add that to Ballard’s thoughts on the quarterback in general and we have a recipe for exactly what I predicted. “Their guy” will already be off the board at #4 and Ballard will trade back.
    This is my fear, also - and my biggest doubt about Ballard: he has shown zero willingness to take a chance on a RD1 QB, which is why we've been stuck on the vet-retread-QB carousel since Luck left.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Can't remember, was Luck on his watch or Polian's? Regardless how that turned out, they were fairly committed to him.

Ryan Grigson actually lol

Also, they already had the #1 pick. Also, Luck was a generational talent. Entirely different scenario.

They don’t have the #1 pick and there are no Luck’s or Burrow’s in this draft.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    Ryan Grigson actually lol

Also, they already had the #1 pick. Also, Luck was a generational talent. Entirely different scenario.

They don’t have the #1 pick and there are no Luck’s or Burrow’s in this draft.
    Completely forgot about that guy. Not saying there's anyone of that caliber this year, just that they stuck by him through a rough couple of seasons, if I remember right.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom