• ...and so much more!
  • ZurokSlayer7X9

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    If you want to understand the philosophical reasoning for our founding documents, I'd recommend perusing The Federalist Papers.
    And the Anti-Federalist Papers. Even though there wasn't a unified collection like the Federalist Papers, the Anti-Federalists had a lot to do with the inception of the Bill of Rights.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't do papers.
    why-have-rules.gif

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Hm, that's a good suggestion. Ill look into it.
    One thing that might be helpful to keep in mind is a great many discussions taking place here in the GP are centered around the context of historical documentation. Especially all aspects of the Constitution. I think you are probably starting to get that picture.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    One thing that might be helpful to keep in mind is a great many discussions taking place here in the GP are centered around the context of historical documentation. Especially all aspects of the Constitution. I think you are probably starting to get that picture.

Imagine arguing which religion was superior, without having read anything about any religion. In short you would be arguing someone else's opinion. You were taught somewhere along the line to have that opinion or you would not even have a thought to even present on the topic, because you yourself are clueless about religion. In other words you would be a perfect little drone repeating what you are told without even realizing it.

History matters. Understanding how something came to be the way it is matters. It may not be as simple as repeating what you are told, but understanding the history gives you the knowledge to form your own opinion rather that making you a mouth piece to repeat someone else's. I also advise looking at different perspectives of history to have a more concrete knowledge base. It only improves the quality of your opinion. Without understanding the history of a topic, you are just a drone who thinks they know something, when all you actually understand is what you are told to think. Some love being a drone.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Imagine arguing which religion was superior, without having read anything about any religion. In short you would be arguing someone else's opinion. You were taught somewhere along the line to have that opinion or you would not even have a thought to even present on the topic, because you yourself are clueless about religion. In other words you would be a perfect little drone repeating what you are told without even realizing it.

History matters. Understanding how something came to be the way it is matters. It may not be as simple as repeating what you are told, but understanding the history gives you the knowledge to form your own opinion rather that making you a mouth piece to repeat someone else's. I also advise looking at different perspectives of history to have a more concrete knowledge base. It only improves the quality of your opinion. Without understanding the history of a topic, you are just a drone who thinks they know something, when all you actually understand is what you are told to think. Some love being a drone.

Yeah, one can easily get steamrolled here in the GP if they don't familiarize themselves with historical context. I'm not saying that I know everything but I do know that, so I try to do the research needed to participate.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This quote seems off and it is wrong.

If Colorado's ruling is upheld, removing Trump from the ballot, then, Roberts speculated, "In very quick order, I would expect, although my predictions have never been correct, I would expect that a goodly number of states will say whoever the Democratic candidate is, you're off the ballot, and others for the Republican candidate, you're off the ballot."

“If this were to occur, then the presidential election would be determined by "just a handful of states," Roberts said. "That's a pretty daunting consequence," he added.

No, “a handful of states” would not make a determination. Per the constitution it would be thrown to the house of representatives for the president and senate for the VP.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

If Colorado's ruling is upheld, removing Trump from the ballot, then, Roberts speculated, "In very quick order, I would expect, although my predictions have never been correct, I would expect that a goodly number of states will say whoever the Democratic candidate is, you're off the ballot, and others for the Republican candidate, you're off the ballot."

“If this were to occur, then the presidential election would be determined by "just a handful of states," Roberts said. "That's a pretty daunting consequence," he added.

No, “a handful of states” would not make a determination. Per the constitution it would be thrown to the house of representatives for the president and senate for the VP.

Correct, assuming one candidate failed to achieve 270 EVs.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The further this goes along the more I see the end being elections as an illusion. Davosians see the election of Trump as some sort of great loss in power and money even though he was in office for four years previously. To defeat him they will do anything within their considerable economic power to stop him. This election seems totally focused on one man, Donald Trump, but as I've said before, is it the man or the message.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    And it will be the newly elected house and senate post election, not the current versions. So the balance could change…
    In a contested election, the House votes by State delegations. So, perhaps it wouldn't change as much as otherwise expected.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

If the Constitution says the Presidential Election would be thrown to the House of Representatives how is the quote wrong?

Top Bottom