• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The problem with viewing the constitution as a living document, where we interpret it according to today's meaning, is that no one ratified today's meaning. They ratified the meaning it had back then. If the people think the constitution needs updating there's a way to do that.

I define 'living document' as that there is a procedure to change it.
    Amendments.

NOT that someone can just change definitions willy nilly

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Amendments.

The words “living constitution” have a specific meaning and there are hundreds of articles out there espousing this. It definitely is not your former point and you latter point is spot on what is happening.

The Living Constitution, or judicial pragmatism, is the viewpoint that the U.S. constitution holds a dynamic meaning even if the document is not formally amended. The Constitution is said to develop alongside society's needs and provide a more malleable tool for governments. The idea is associated with views that contemporary society should be considered in the constitutional interpretation of phrases.”

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The problem with viewing the constitution as a living document, where we interpret it according to today's meaning, is that no one ratified today's meaning. They ratified the meaning it had back then. If the people think the constitution needs updating there's a way to do that.
    Precisely. Look at the 2nd. On its face in today's linguistics "well regulated" means laws and rules. But back then the context was "practiced, and in good working order". Many have challenged those words trying to contort the original meaning and justify infringing via anti gun laws. "regulations" by today's language.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Amendments.

Like Mike said, there’s usually a specific meaning when they claim the constitution is a living document. They don’t mean to update it in the prescribed way. They mean to alter the meaning without changing it, because it’s too hard to impose their will if they have to change it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Are they ever going to decide? Or are the bribes coming in late?
    If its taking this long,we are in trouble!
    I mean its a simple case/decision,so easy that a caveman can do it.
    WTF are you guys talking about? Matters of this level of gravity usually take years to get through the courts, this thing is on a rocket sled on rails compared to normal cases. That said the decision likely will come next week…

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    WTF are you guys talking about? Matters of this level of gravity usually take years to get through the courts, this thing is on a rocket sled on rails compared to normal cases. That said the decision likely will come next week…
    I can see many cases taking years to get to SCOTUS. But this is not the case, as it has already arrived. But guess I never looked up stats, looks like it can take months for a decision to get handed down. Especially if some judges are not aligned.

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Besides, I doubt it is the decision itself that is taking most of the time, it takes time to draft a strong and properly cited opinion.

Top Bottom