• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Does it seem strange that the NFL is still not at all willing to take the side of the fans?Is it not strange that Goodell will probably got another 5 year contract, considering he increased revenues by 8 billion over 10 years?Is it not strange that after 14 months,the NFL still does not know why fans are turning away?Who is setting the narrative,the NFL or the fans or Trump?I truly think this is a " look,there is a squirrel" moment.Is the NFL trying to bring in the SJWs into the fan base?Again,I wonder if this is a moment in which the NFL can renegotiate contracts?With the brain trauma lawsuits on the horizon,I can't seem to make ANY sense of any of it.One thing for sure,is the arguing will never stop...........have a good day.

I think the NFL knows exactly what they're doing. They're walking a tightrope right down the middle of the issue. They want to keep their employees satisfied so the product keeps on rolling out, and they also want their fan base happy so the cash keeps rolling in.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Does it seem strange that the NFL is still not at all willing to take the side of the fans? Is it not strange that Goodell will probably got another 5 year contract, considering he increased revenues by 8 billion over 10 years?Is it not strange that after 14 months,the NFL still does not know why fans are turning away?Who is setting the narrative,the NFL or the fans or Trump?I truly think this is a " look,there is a squirrel" moment.Is the NFL trying to bring in the SJWs into the fan base?Again,I wonder if this is a moment in which the NFL can renegotiate contracts?With the brain trauma lawsuits on the horizon,I can't seem to make ANY sense of any of it.One thing for sure,is the arguing will never stop...........have a good day.

It doesn't seem strange. Noting that there are "fans" on both sides of the issue, the fans that oppose the protests haven't proven themselves able to stop watching the sport. At least not in large enough numbers to really care enough to stop the protesting. They're waiting everyone out. The NFL players will either stop kneeling, or those who oppose them will stop caring. As of now the question is left to the individual owners (as it probably should be). One thing is for certain though, if the NFL ever made a ban like that, they would never see the end of protesting. They'd have to deal with nationwide boycotts, endless speeches, players making symbolic kneels at their last games.... just on, and on, and on.... the NFL has enough money that they can wait it out. No one is going to go broke, and talent is always going to be funneled into the league.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I it probably best that this issue finally chased me off. I was too bothered by other stuff going on anyway. I didn't like the celebrating and taunting that was going on. I remember the Lombardi quote about when you get in the end zone, act like you have been there before and plan to be there again.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I think the NFL knows exactly what they're doing. They're walking a tightrope right down the middle of the issue. They want to keep their employees satisfied so the product keeps on rolling out, and they also want their fan base happy so the cash keeps rolling in.
    The NFL has to walk a tightrope with the player's union and the NFL's contract with that union. Push on it too hard and the union could sue the NFL, possibly prevailing as it's not in the contract regarding player behavior on the field (or while representing the team). Nevertheless the NFL has an obligation to do more than it has to press for respectful behavior of its players.

As far as I'm concerned the spineless NFL can put it somewhere north of the Arctic Circle (where the sun doesn't shine). I'm completely boycotting them, their products and anything about them on TV. Need to check with Comcast to see what I can excise off my cable package regarding the NFL without cutting out anything else I want. I'm finished with the NFL.

John

Last edited:

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    I it probably best that this issue finally chased me off. I was too bothered by other stuff going on anyway. I didn't like the celebrating and taunting that was going on. I remember the Lombardi quote about when you get in the end zone, act like you have been there before and plan to be there again.

Frankly I got tired of hearing how many athletes get treated so special especially when it comes to investigations or allegations getting covered up by universities and the like. Things like Penn State. The baseball Ped stories. The allegations against Peyton Manning. This may have been going on since way back but I just got tired of the whole thing. I haven’t followed any sports for a good number of years now.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Frankly I got tired of hearing how many athletes get treated so special especially when it comes to investigations or allegations getting covered up by universities and the like. Things like Penn State. The baseball Ped stories. The allegations against Peyton Manning. This may have been going on since way back but I just got tired of the whole thing. I haven’t followed any sports for a good number of years now.

Ummmm. The Penn State fiasco was due to having a pedophile coach while other coaches and administration covered it up. Athletes were not involved.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Ummmm. The Penn State fiasco was due to having a pedophile coach while other coaches and administration covered it up. Athletes were not involved.

It was covered up so the program could be successful. It was covered up because the success of the team and money was more important than turning in the defensive coordinator for molesting kids. Same reasons why athletes bad dead’s are covered up by universities.

The motivations are the same. Somehow sports is so important or the money actually is so important we put that ahead of everything else to include covering up criminal activities.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The NFL has to walk a tightrope with the player's union and the NFL's contract with that union. Push on it too hard and the union could sue the NFL, possibly prevailing as it's not in the contract regarding player behavior on the field (or while representing the team). Nevertheless the NFL has an obligation to do more than it has to press for respectful behavior of its players.

As far as I'm concerned the spineless NFL can put it somewhere north of the Arctic Circle (where the sun doesn't shine). I'm completely boycotting them, their products and anything about them on TV. Need to check with Comcast to see what I can excise off my cable package regarding the NFL without cutting out anything else I want. I'm finished with the NFL.

John

The NFL has no such obligation to determine for it's viewing public what is "respectful" or "disrespectful," when there is no consensus amongst the public one way or the other.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The NFL has no such obligation to determine for it's viewing public what is "respectful" or "disrespectful," when there is no consensus amongst the public one way or the other.

This is pretty much true. The nation is divided on the issue. It’s the NFL’s duty to do what most benefits the NFL. With a divided nation that is pretty much what it’s doing, trying to balance the walk along the thin line.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    This is pretty much true. The nation is divided on the issue. It’s the NFL’s duty to do what most benefits the NFL. With a divided nation that is pretty much what it’s doing, trying to balance the walk along the thin line.

Yep, basically it sounds like they are screwed.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yep, basically it sounds like they are screwed.

No, the NFL isn't screwed. I have the utmost confidence that those the vast majority who say they will "never watch the NFL again," will almost certainty watch the NFL again.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    No, the NFL isn't screwed. I have the utmost confidence that those the vast majority who say they will "never watch the NFL again," will almost certainty watch the NFL again.

Well they really do have that fanatic following. Just like baseball rebounding after the strike in the 90s. However it does seem they are screwed in the sense that there is no good answer with regards to which side they should take. Personally as I said I think the outrage is ridiculous. I don’t like to see the flag burn but it doesn’t get me all worked up.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yeah, same feeling here.

Rob is actually a pretty well grounded guy. He's certainly not like some other folk. Play it even with him, and I'm pretty sure he'll do the same. I think it's wise, given our particular points of view, that we recognize those who seem to at least consider opposing viewpoints rather that dismiss them out of hand.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom