Classic Car Pics. Yours not yours, all things cool or not so cool.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I need to find where I can get a copy of this or stream it.... Have not seen it for years.

ETA: Just found it in DVD on Amazon for $6!
    Buy it. We did.
    And the Hollywood Knights.
    Original Cannonball run. The opening scenes when they cut loose through New York down Wall Street. If that mechanical music does not move you nothing will.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Buy it. We did.
    And the Hollywood Knights.
    Original Cannonball run. The opening scenes when they cut loose through New York down Wall Street. If that mechanical music does not move you nothing will.
    Ok confession time. You know I'm obviously a serious car guy/gear head. Believe it or not I have only ever seen short clips of American Graffiti and Hollywood Knights. I've never seen either in their entirety.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    IMO, Hollywood Knights was not the caliber of movie that American Graffiti was.

That said, I haven't watched either in a very long time and suspect that they may be a little hokey now a days. But I could be mistaken.

I have watched AG many times and I do remember there are a couple of times during the movie where it drags a bit. After all, the whole movie covered less than 24 hours.

You should still watch them though!

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    IMO, Hollywood Knights was not the caliber of movie that American Graffiti was.

That said, I haven't watched either in a very long time and suspect that they may be a little hokey now a days. But I could be mistaken.

I have watched AG many times and I do remember there are a couple of times during the movie where it drags a bit. After all, the whole movie covered less than 24 hours.

You should still watch them though!
    So would it be as hokey as Two Lane Blacktop?
    The cars in it were great but otherwise I thought it was kind of hokey. Maybe some of it is that I'm young enough I can't relate to what the street scene was like in those days

Reactions: Leo

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So would it be as hokey as Two Lane Blacktop?
    The cars in it were great but otherwise I thought it was kind of hokey. Maybe some of it is that I'm young enough I can't relate to what the street scene was like in those days
    You just hit the nail on the head. Many favorite movies, songs, stories, etc. are vehicles to transport people to a different place in time. Sometimes the viewer thinks back to experiences they enjoyed, or maybe experiences they wish they had. You can see that when someone finds some old 8mm home movie reels. You can look around the room, some are transported back, some very curious, and some just can't relate.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    We all have grail cars. Our most desirable cars. I have a few.
    1 is a 1967 Corvette coupe. 427 3 pots and 3 peddles. Side pipes maybe. Dark jade with a white stinger black guts.
    I have never drove or ridden in anything more visceral. Inside the cab of that fiberglass body suit you experience every bit of the mechanical madness that BB chevy delivers. Every noise/vibration and its the full experience. Roll on 1st gear foot on the mat, when it hooks you are planted. When the tach shows time to shift the music is amazing. Pull 2nd gear and it only gets better.....and faster. Push 2nd hard up the 3rd and you are driving in the zone. Seldom if ever could you push it yhis hard on a regular street. No room.

The next one on that list for the E-ticket ride is a mid 60's AC Cobra SC. You loose some effect with no top but that adds another element to the brutal acceleration that big Ford gives you. Head to head the AC has the advantage in weight.
    I have never experienced that Corvette, I'll bet it was great. I was just about to post about a Shelby Cobra when BigRed posted his picture. I was given a "spirited" ride in one. The driver tossed it around pretty violently. No comfort in the seat, road and drive train vibrations all make it to the seat and anything you can grab hold of. Loud, not just the pipes, the wind, tires, everything. The acceleration, cornering and breaking were all extreme, while the harsh passenger compartment did not buffer anything. Terrifying, and that is coming from a man that spent 20 years on big bore Kawaski's and enjoys skydiving. When he stopped and I got out I was shaking and wondering if I was having a heart attack. It was the most exciting ride I ever had.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have never experienced that Corvette, I'll bet it was great. I was just about to post about a Shelby Cobra when BigRed posted his picture. I was given a "spirited" ride in one. The driver tossed it around pretty violently. No comfort in the seat, road and drive train vibrations all make it to the seat and anything you can grab hold of. Loud, not just the pipes, the wind, tires, everything. The acceleration, cornering and breaking were all extreme, while the harsh passenger compartment did not buffer anything. Terrifying, and that is coming from a man that spent 20 years on big bore Kawaski's and enjoys skydiving. When he stopped and I got out I was shaking and wondering if I was having a heart attack. It was the most exciting ride I ever had.
    About 20yrs ago, I knew an attorney whose father had purchased a Shelby Cobra new in 1967 from Ed Martin Ford with the 427. Well his dad only put about 6k miles on it and stored it on jack stands in his garage. When he passed on, he left it to his then new born grandson (so the kid would be @ 21 now). The attorney had a mechanic he knew come over once a month to start it, roll the drivetrain around to keep things lubed up and moving, maintenance it etc.
    Can you imagine growing up knowing you have an original Shelby Cobra just sitting there begging to be driven?

Top Bottom