Classic Car Pics. Yours not yours, all things cool or not so cool.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have never experienced that Corvette, I'll bet it was great. I was just about to post about a Shelby Cobra when BigRed posted his picture. I was given a "spirited" ride in one. The driver tossed it around pretty violently. No comfort in the seat, road and drive train vibrations all make it to the seat and anything you can grab hold of. Loud, not just the pipes, the wind, tires, everything. The acceleration, cornering and breaking were all extreme, while the harsh passenger compartment did not buffer anything. Terrifying, and that is coming from a man that spent 20 years on big bore Kawaski's and enjoys skydiving. When he stopped and I got out I was shaking and wondering if I was having a heart attack. It was the most exciting ride I ever had.
    Bingo. You got the full E-Ticket experience.
    My memory of the Cobras was much the same save the heart attack. That was raw adrenaline my friend. You rode the lightning.
    I spent my share of time on Big Bore KZ’s. Brutal and fast.
    An ingo member and friend has owned a late 60’s BB vette and also a later model with a modified LS drive train.
    He says the LS is much faster and overall driving experience is nice by comparison.
    But for the full on seat of your pants hang on effect he preferred the old school BB car.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    About 20yrs ago, I knew an attorney whose father had purchased a Shelby Cobra new in 1967 from Ed Martin Ford with the 427. Well his dad only put about 6k miles on it and stored it on jack stands in his garage. When he passed on, he left it to his then new born grandson (so the kid would be @ 21 now). The attorney had a mechanic he knew come over once a month to start it, roll the drivetrain around to keep things lubed up and moving, maintenance it etc.
    Can you imagine growing up knowing you have an original Shelby Cobra just sitting there begging to be driven?
    :drool:

I will need a few moments alone fellas Ok.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    :drool:

I will need a few moments alone fellas Ok.
    To make you feel even more sick, the attorney had the car appraised for insurance and it appraised for like 135k. Again that was right at 20 years ago. Poor kid is going to have a tough life lol

I might would consider doing some things I wouldn't be proud of for a car like that....but I have limitations

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    To make you feel even more sick, the attorney had the car appraised for insurance and it appraised for like 135k. Again that was right at 20 years ago. Poor kid is going to have a tough life lol

I might would consider doing some things I wouldn't be proud of for a car like that....but I have limitations
    But those boundaries can be tested of course.
    Even the most died in the wool Bow Tie guy can feel the need for a true piece of history in a BB Ford.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Bingo. You got the full E-Ticket experience.
    My memory of the Cobras was much the same save the heart attack. That was raw adrenaline my friend. You rode the lightning.
    I spent my share of time on Big Bore KZ’s. Brutal and fast.
    An ingo member and friend has owned a late 60’s BB vette and also a later model with a modified LS drive train.
    He says the LS is much faster and overall driving experience is nice by comparison.
    But for the full on seat of your pants hang on effect he preferred the old school BB car.
    I know a guy who has a 1967 427 Vette. Scariest thing I've ever ridden in.

He also owns a Z06. I rode with him in that once. Fastest car I've even been in, but it lacks the constant fear of imminent death.:D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

He also owns a Z06. I rode with him in that once. Fastest car I've even been in, but it lacks the constant fear of imminent death.:D
    Bingo. The well padded and isolated cabin of the Z06 takes away from the brutality of the experience. But the Z06 is butter smooth by comparison to the 67.
    The 67 is an animal. The Z06 is a gentleman with wings.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Bingo. The well padded and isolated cabin of the Z06 takes away from the brutality of the experience. But the Z06 is butter smooth by comparison to the 67.
    The 67 is an animal. The Z06 is a gentleman with wings.
    Dude will occasionally drive the Z06 in light snow. Said he won't drive the '67 if it looks like a 10% of light rain.

Rick Mason

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2019
    Lake County
    My Honda S-600 Coupe that I had in Okinawa Japan in the mid-70s. Mine was dark blue, with the steering wheel on the correct side. It had four carburetors, one for each cylinder. Rear wheels were dual chain driven. Like driving the world's biggest and fastest go-cart. Loved that car.
    Honda_S600_Coupe.jpg

Rick Mason

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2019
    Lake County

In the early 70s my best friend got married to a young lady, Sandy Knepper. Her father was Junior Knepper. Junior was the cousin to Arnie Knepper, who for many years was a professional racer who ran anything on four wheels. Arnie was in five Indianapolis 500 races -- that is how good he was. Junior was his chief mechanic for all those years.

For a wedding present, he gave my buddy a 1968 'Vette that he personally restored. This was not an ordinary car. It was rebuilt from the ground up, including the engine, by a qualified Indy 500 chief mechanic. I rode in the car once and never again. We were doing 140 across the Popular Street Bridge from St. Louis into Illinois. John said he was barely touching the gas pedal. I really believe this was the fastest 'Vette in the nation at the time. I cannot imagine giving that kind of car to such a young man (who is marrying your only daughter.)

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    My Honda S-600 Coupe that I had in Okinawa Japan in the mid-70s. Mine was dark blue, with the steering wheel on the correct side. It had four carburetors, one for each cylinder. Rear wheels were dual chain driven. Like driving the world's biggest and fastest go-cart. Loved that car.
    View attachment 206437

Caught one of these on some auto show when I was traveling...very cool machines.

Top Bottom