Classic Car Pics. Yours not yours, all things cool or not so cool.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I honestly don’t know what it is. My daughter is 17 and my son just turned 20 both grew up going to car shows and being in the garage with me always working on something. My son isn’t really into muscle cars. Drives a 01 lowered Silverado. Not one of his friends is into cars either.
    When my son got his first car, it was a Ford Focus. I put a Borla exhaust on it, some nice wheels and detailed it out pretty good. It was a 5-speed. He seemed to enjoy it until he had a bad wreck in it. After that, he said he didn't see any point in spending money beyond the initial purchase. He is not into cars. Transportation, period.

I took him for a ride in my neighbors SS Camaro one day and I got on it pitching the ass end sideways(until all that computer crap kicked in and straightened it out) pinning us back in the seat a little. His comment was; "I don't need all this" or something to that effect.

I failed at raising my kids, lol.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    This pic was taken mid-May 1970. These were very popular at the time. It’s the 1st SB I ever built in total. Under the watchful eye of the owner and good friend/mentor.
    His last Name was Moon hence the Moon eyes. Older guys will know what that is.
    +.030 327 fuely heads Duntov 50-50 solid cam.
    I was 20.
    The field across the street is the north 40 for the Speedway just west of my house.
    View attachment 193313
    I have a neighbor that lives diagonally from me a couple houses down that has one of those old buckets. I've never seen his with a top on it though. I don't know all the specifics but it's a SBC with a blower of some sort on it and it has some pretty serious meats on the back. It's black and lime green with plenty of chrome. He has another hot ros in his garage but I have only seen glances of it when driving by and his garage was open. But he frequently has other white haired guys over with their hot rods and work on them. I approached the guy once but he kinda had that get off my lawn attitude lol.
    Mom & dad live just up the street and around the corner from me. There's some railroad tracks along their property line in the back yard. Anyway just on the other side of the tracks is a little hot rod/customs shop that I think is called Hot Rod Specialties. At different times my uncle and I worked in a Ford dealer with one of the fabricators years ago.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It is so different now. I drive by my old High School and the parking lot is near empty. In my day it was full to over flow and then streets were curbs full of cars.
    Maids were driving at 14 if they could get away with it.
    Do you think the green movement has anything to do in brainwashing these young skulls full of mush.
    I do think there are a few reasons why so many younger people don't get a DL at the first chance like so many of us did.
    They have been bombarded with climate change blamed on cars, too many had over protective parents that didn't prepare them for life, too addicted to being on the phone and video games, far too many educators/indoctrinators that constantly push the 4+ year schools to find a career because you don't want to be a plumber, mechanic etc etc by degrading anyone who makes a living with their hands as just getting by or selling themselves short. Oh and costs now make it seriously hard to get someone involved in this stuff. For most, the days of sourcing used parts from a yard to build a car are gone. They think the only way to do it is places like Jegs or Summit unless you can afford a custom shop.
    My step son (23yo) has been around it since he was 2 and has absolutely no interest in cars. I know a guy that was an instructor at Lincoln Tech and he says it's amazing how many kids just out of high school show up and want to work on cars for a living but don't have a license. Problem is most want to be the guy just plugging in a laptop and being the "tuner" without ever getting their hands dirty.

I hate to say it be we really could be a dying breed

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I do think there are a few reasons why so many younger people don't get a DL at the first chance like so many of us did.
    They have been bombarded with climate change blamed on cars, too many had over protective parents that didn't prepare them for life, too addicted to being on the phone and video games, far too many educators/indoctrinators that constantly push the 4+ year schools to find a career because you don't want to be a plumber, mechanic etc etc by degrading anyone who makes a living with their hands as just getting by or selling themselves short. Oh and costs now make it seriously hard to get someone involved in this stuff. For most, the days of sourcing used parts from a yard to build a car are gone. They think the only way to do it is places like Jegs or Summit unless you can afford a custom shop.
    My step son (23yo) has been around it since he was 2 and has absolutely no interest in cars. I know a guy that was an instructor at Lincoln Tech and he says it's amazing how many kids just out of high school show up and want to work on cars for a living but don't have a license. Problem is most want to be the guy just plugging in a laptop and being the "tuner" without ever getting their hands dirty.

I would say that most people that I have mentioned that I bought a worn out vehicle to rebuild/restore can't even conceptualize why someone would do that, let alone have the skillset to do it.

Even one of our tooling guys who has been in the mold making business his whole life said, he wouldn't ever change ball joints on a car. And he can machine about anything.

mikek

What, Me Worry??
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 24, 2019
    mooresville

We are a dying breed. When you go to James Dean, the Duck Tail or the Hot Rod Reunion or any other car show the majority of the guys there are 50+

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    We are a dying breed. When you go to James Dean, the Duck Tail or the Hot Rod Reunion or any other car show the majority of the guys there are 50+
    lol, go to the Frog Follies in Haubstadt. I don't think I've seen that many mobility carts in one place. I felt young and I'm 62!

Top Bottom