Classic Car Pics. Yours not yours, all things cool or not so cool.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My wife drove a '79 or '80(mind is slipping, can't remember for sure) Malibu wagon for several years. I yanked a 350 out of a '70 Chevelle, put roller rockers, mild cam, carb, TRW 10.5:1 forged pistons, and a few other "upgrades". Stock exhaust. Factory exterior with full hubcaps. It was a sleeper.

Ended up selling it to one of my customer auto shop mechanics. He put a cheap paint job on it and some Pontiac wheels. Looked a lot better.

When you opened the hood, you would swear it came from the factory like that. I even painted the engine GM corp blue, ugh. :)
    Mine was a ugly silver grey with the most God awful baby blue crappy interior known to man. Wow it was ugly.
    I ran an early Holley injection system on it with good results until the fuel pump went south. For some reason it was never right after that. A buddy gave me the cowel hood. I found some 4” Rally front wheels and 8” rears. Mickey Thompson street slicks.
    + .030 350 with world heads. Performer dual plane. Comp bump stick (solid) with 1.6 rockers. Same as you on compression. Hookers and 3 chamber FloMasters.
    Not a total sleeper but it would surprise the hell out of most people at the lights.
    We stripped everything out from the driver back for weight.
    Never made a pass at the track with it but it would run right with My sons Monti.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not doubting anything you experienced, but wasn't the rear end really tall in the luxury Polara model, like a 3:13 or something like that? We hunted down a Polara rear end for a gas hog Dodge when gas was hard to get in 1975. The hope was to get 13 or 14 mpg rather than the 9-10 mpg the car was getting with the 3.91.
    I ran a 4.30 behind the 383.
    4.10 behind the Hemi.
    This car was a factory 4 speed. Another reason I bought it.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Leo

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   1
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Mine was a ugly silver grey with the most God awful baby blue crappy interior known to man. Wow it was ugly.
    I ran an early Holley injection system on it with good results until the fuel pump went south. For some reason it was never right after that. A buddy gave me the cowel hood. I found some 4” Rally front wheels and 8” rears. Mickey Thompson street slicks.
    + .030 350 with world heads. Performer dual plane. Comp bump stick (solid) with 1.6 rockers. Same as you on compression. Hookers and 3 chamber FloMasters.
    Not a total sleeper but it would surprise the hell out of most people at the lights.
    We stripped everything out from the driver back for weight.
    Never made a pass at the track with it but it would run right with MyMy sons Monti.
    We had one in the same colors.
    The C , H and the LET were missing from the Chevrolet emblem.
    We called it EVRO.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When these threads startup it brings back a flood of memories. I was emersed in the car world. My uncles were car guys. Think 1950 Olds business coup with a Caddy engine 3 dueces. Lakes discs for hub caps and lakes side pipes with easy open dumps. 1st car I ever drove sitting on Uncle Easton's lap in the lot of the A&P grocery store down the street from the house.
    I must have made 20 laps. A very early memory. I was hooked.
    I was blessed to live in the area we grew up in. Hot rods/race cars everywhere.
    It formed my young mind of mush into a serious car guy. My buddy's and I would have 6 to 8 cars at any given time buying and selling them. It was a magic time for me.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    When these threads startup it brings back a flood of memories. I was emersed in the car world. My uncles were car guys. Think 1950 Olds business coup with a Caddy engine 3 dueces. Lakes discs for hub caps and lakes side pipes with easy open dumps. 1st car I ever drove sitting on Uncle Easton's lap in the lot of the A&P grocery store down the street from the house.
    I must have made 20 laps. A very early memory. I was hooked.
    I was blessed to live in the area we grew up in. Hot rods/race cars everywhere.
    It formed my young mind of mush into a serious car guy. My buddy's and I would have 6 to 8 cars at any given time buying and selling them. It was a magic time for me.
    I was just talking to my wife the other day, looking at how screwed up this country is and the people in it that I am so happy that I got to experience America when it was still great. True, I kinda came in on the tail end, but I was old enough to remember some pretty amazing times and people who could truly be called "salt of the earth."

It's too bad that these younger generations will not experience that. But then again, like my son says, "dad, we won't know what we don't know."

The Greatest Generation is very appropriate in my opinion.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This pic was taken mid-May 1970. These were very popular at the time. It’s the 1st SB I ever built in total. Under the watchful eye of the owner and good friend/mentor.
    His last Name was Moon hence the Moon eyes. Older guys will know what that is.
    +.030 327 fuely heads Duntov 50-50 solid cam.
    I was 20.
    The field across the street is the north 40 for the Speedway just west of my house.
    5AD807B0-3F6B-4BE4-A745-EA69BC62A3D0.jpeg

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    on churchmouses' life observation.

Maybe it was from growing up in the stench of the of the chemical plants, refineries and steel mills in da'region, but every boy got his drivers license the day after he was old enough. Most already had a car of some sort, mangy as it may have been. We all worked on them, and made our feeble attempts of hot rod improvements. The kid whose dad owned the chevy dealer always drove a new camaro demo, but no one else had a new car. We drove those cars to after school jobs so we could get a more desirable (muscle) car, and we worked on those too. Some got pretty good at engines and tuning. We quickly learned how to replace the clutches we were abusing. Most learned about life and women in their cars.

At least in Lafayette, the current interest is not wide spread among 18 year old men. If you look at the local car shows, cruise nights and parades, 90% of the car owners have hair as white as my beard, if they have any hair at all. I see a few young guys will new factory high performance Mustangs, Camaro's and chargers. I also saw 4 or 5 cars at a cruise night that were professionally built by Kenny Bell, Hennessey and other pro tuners driven by young men.

I also know at least a dozen high school graduates that don't even own a car, they use their mothers car, or call uber. I know probably twice that many high school boys that never even got a license. Things are a lot different.

Ironhippie

Go Navy
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Avon
    Y
    My 1st “X” took all my pics prayer to about 1979. Big chunk missing.
    I love that car brother.
    Thanks, It was a Sweetie. Sold it to a Couple guys outta Tenn who were going to do a complete resto and flip it. That was a few years ago, but have lost track of it since then. Would like to know what happened to it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    on churchmouses' life observation.

Maybe it was from growing up in the stench of the of the chemical plants, refineries and steel mills in da'region, but every boy got his drivers license the day after he was old enough. Most already had a car of some sort, mangy as it may have been. We all worked on them, and made our feeble attempts of hot rod improvements. The kid whose dad owned the chevy dealer always drove a new camaro demo, but no one else had a new car. We drove those cars to after school jobs so we could get a more desirable (muscle) car, and we worked on those too. Some got pretty good at engines and tuning. We quickly learned how to replace the clutches we were abusing. Most learned about life and women in their cars.

At least in Lafayette, the current interest is not wide spread among 18 year old men. If you look at the local car shows, cruise nights and parades, 90% of the car owners have hair as white as my beard, if they have any hair at all. I see a few young guys will new factory high performance Mustangs, Camaro's and chargers. I also saw 4 or 5 cars at a cruise night that were professionally built by Kenny Bell, Hennessey and other pro tuners driven by young men.

I also know at least a dozen high school graduates that don't even own a car, they use their mothers car, or call uber. I know probably twice that many high school boys that never even got a license. Things are a lot different.
    It is so different now. I drive by my old High School and the parking lot is near empty. In my day it was full to over flow and then streets were curbs full of cars.
    Maids were driving at 14 if they could get away with it.
    Do you think the green movement has anything to do in brainwashing these young skulls full of mush.

Doug28450

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    Hobart
    A few days back I was reading through some historic corvette literature. One of the pieces was an order form for a '69. Apparently you could order a '69 L-88 with a TH400 and 2.73 gears. It'll go fast, but take a while to get there.

Reactions: Leo

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    We have a 20-something kid working here that rides to work everyday with another guy. I heard the kid telling the office lady yesterday that he was going after work to get his DL. She was like, get it renewed? He was like, no. Get it. Like for the first time in his life.

This morning, the guy in the office next door to mine told me about his drive in. He was stuck for miles behind a car going 5-10 under the 35MPH speed limit through town.

Guess who it was?:D

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A few days back I was reading through some historic corvette literature. One of the pieces was an order form for a '69. Apparently you could order a '69 L-88 with a TH400 and 2.73 gears. It'll go fast, but take a while to get there.
    Dodge used to let you order that with 4 speed Darts. With a really tall rear end 3rd gear felt like high, and 4th felt like overdrive. With the 225 slant six, they returned great fuel mileage numbers, but an athlete on a bicycle could best you for the first 100 feet. They did not go fast, the emission controlled slant would start wheezing pretty hard by 85mph. They would go faster in 3rd.

Ironhippie

Go Navy
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Avon
    Barrett-Jackson from Palm Beach is coming on now on the FYI channel. Love the early day cars. They need to cover the sold sticker girl applying the SS the way they used to. Viewership would go up by 1M viewers, but someone decided they couldnt do that no more either.

Last edited:

mikek

What, Me Worry??
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 24, 2019
    mooresville
    It is so different now. I drive by my old High School and the parking lot is near empty. In my day it was full to over flow and then streets were curbs full of cars.
    Maids were driving at 14 if they could get away with it.
    Do you think the green movement has anything to do in brainwashing these young skulls full of mush.
    I honestly don’t know what it is. My daughter is 17 and my son just turned 20 both grew up going to car shows and being in the garage with me always working on something. My son isn’t really into muscle cars. Drives a 01 lowered Silverado. Not one of his friends is into cars either.

Top Bottom