foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    If they were predestined to they would.

God must mean for you guys to be last.

Just remember, the last will be first and the first will be last.

Not only backsliders, but ones that make it to the restaurants sooner!

They could at least hold alter calls! That would add a few minutes of singing Just as I Am!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    They could at least hold alter calls! That would add a few minutes of singing Just as I Am!
    First good LOL of the day! :laugh:

Whereas an Orthodox trying to tell a Calvinist joke...
    If they were predestined to they would.

God must mean for you guys to be last.

Just remember, the last will be first and the first will be last.
    article-2234405-1615CEC5000005DC-421_634x419.jpg

;)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Or Huss? Or Knox? Wycliffe - you gotta respect Wycliffe, right? ... [Jetta's heart starts palpitating and getting light headed]... Tyndale... Bullinger... Zwingli...

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Ok.

There is a resource called "Christ in the Psalms" by Fr Patrick Henry Reardon. Its on Kindle for 9.99 and I highly recommend it. I have it though and for your next psalm I was going to post from it.

He is a good writer and speaker. Was Episcopalian (Priest I think, Orthodox now after the Episcopalians swung from the via media to the road to who knows where :))

He knows his Greek and History but what is interesting about him is his command of Hebrew and Latin since his seminary background is western. When listening to him speak, he quotes more Lating and Hebrew than he does Greek at times :)

On vacation this week. Only get a few minutes a day to check in. When I get a few minutes to compose some thoughts, I'm thinking of probing that other post of yours with you.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    From the Islam thread:
    This is part of a parable that Jesus was telling. You cannot just take a scripture out of context and say what you want it to mean. Here is the full context:
    Luke 19:11-28 New Living Translation

The crowd was listening to everything Jesus said. And because he was nearing Jerusalem, he told them a story to correct the impression that the Kingdom of God would begin right away.
    He said, "A nobleman was called away to a distant empire to be crowned king and then return.
    Before he left, he called together ten of his servants and divided among them ten pounds of silver, saying, 'Invest this for me while I am gone.'
    But his people hated him and sent a delegation after him to say, 'We do not want him to be our king.'
    "After he was crowned king, he returned and called in the servants to whom he had given the money. He wanted to find out what their profits were.
    The first came before him, saying, ‘Lord, your mina has made ten minas more.’
    "'Well done!' the king exclaimed. 'You are a good servant. You have been faithful with the little I entrusted to you, so you will be governor of ten cities as your reward.'
    "The next servant reported, 'Master, I invested your money and made five times the original amount.'
    "'Well done!' the king said. 'You will be governor over five cities.'
    "But the third servant brought back only the original amount of money and said, 'Master, I hid your money and kept it safe.
    I was afraid because you are a hard man to deal with, taking what isn't yours and harvesting crops you didn't plant.'
    "'You wicked servant!' the king roared. 'Your own words condemn you. If you knew that I'm a hard man who takes what isn't mine and harvests crops I didn't plant,
    why didn't you deposit my money in the bank? At least I could have gotten some interest on it.'
    "Then, turning to the others standing nearby, the king ordered, 'Take the money from this servant, and give it to the one who has ten pounds.'
    "'But, master,' they said, 'he already has ten pounds!'
    "'Yes,' the king replied, 'and to those who use well what they are given, even more will be given. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away.
    And as for these enemies of mine who didn't want me to be their king--bring them in and execute them right here in front of me.'"
    After telling this story, Jesus went on toward Jerusalem, walking ahead of his disciples.

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

Jesus did not say that as a commandment. In that passage Jesus is telling a parable about resources given to workers by a nobleman and what they did with it. It's the nobleman who makes that statement, not Jesus.

Non-confrontational question: if the point of the parable was that the king properly rebuked the servant who did nothing with what was given to him, how is that last part - the violent part - not also what Jesus wanted to convey?

In context, it seems that Jesus was issuing a very specific threat to a very specific audience.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    From the Islam thread:

Non-confrontational question: if the point of the parable was that the king properly rebuked the servant who did nothing with what was given to him, how is that last part - the violent part - not also what Jesus wanted to convey?

In context, it seems that Jesus was issuing a very specific threat to a very specific audience.

That's exactly what I was saying.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    The ruler is representative of the Godhead. Not the followers. I'll put a few cut and paste's from commentaries. While I don't think it necessary for the bible to be read only in the presence of a commentary to grasp the intent, it certainly is helpful in fully understanding the text. Remember, people can spend an entire lifetime studying small parts of the bible and still come to the end of their life wishing they had the time to learn more. Hopefully, as you decide which of these to read you find the answer you look for.

...here rendered slay them, properly signifies, slay them with the sword, and seems first to refer to the dreadful slaughter of the impenitent Jews, by the sword of each other and of the Romans. But that does not seem to be the chief design of the passage; it more especially relates to the far more terrible execution which shall be done on all impenitent sinners in the great day, when the faithful servants of Christ shall be rewarded.
    Verse 27. - But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me. An obvious reference to the Lord's dealings with the chosen people, and an unmistakable reference to the awful ruin and disaster which was so soon to overwhelm the city and temple and the whole nationality. But behind this temporal reference there looms in the background the vast shadow of a terrible eternal doom reserved for the enemies of the Redeemer.

...referring to the awful destruction of Jerusalem, but pointing to the final destruction of all that are found in open rebellion against Christ.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The ruler is representative of the Godhead. Not the followers. I'll put a few cut and paste's from commentaries. While I don't think it necessary for the bible to be read only in the presence of a commentary to grasp the intent, it certainly is helpful in fully understanding the text. Remember, people can spend an entire lifetime studying small parts of the bible and still come to the end of their life wishing they had the time to learn more. Hopefully, as you decide which of these to read you find the answer you look for.
    But, what do you think?

Again, keep in mind the context. I don't know where those commentaries derive, but I find those passages lacking in recognizing the context of WHEN and WHERE Jesus was speaking.

To put it another way, his audience was not limited to the people in front of him, but the people that would hear the parable from those people... all the way to Jerusalem.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom