Not open for further replies.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I just came back to see Jetta's response.....I doubt not that jetta knows exactly who's driving the train...

Is VJ saying the Catholic church is the men with modern thought, or is it Paul, or reformers or ... ? Who is he accusing of trying to change the Lord's truth?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    ... the Catholic church is the men with modern thought...
    Not only is this the first time I've seen that phrase on INGO, I think its the first time in human history those words have been strung together in that order. :)

(George Carlin had a great bit about that. Saw him live in Vegas once when he did that schtick and I was laughing so hard my sides hurt.)

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I'm saying that Christianity of many sects has evolved as men have changed their own morality, their own ideas of what's right and wrong. It's hard for me to believe that those changes are being made by God and not by people that think their church should "get with the times" or become more popular by accepting compromise. Seems to me men are telling God what to do and not the other way around. Is church a club or a set of eternal truths?

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I'm saying that Christianity of many sects has evolved as men have changed their own morality, their own ideas of what's right and wrong. It's hard for me to believe that those changes are being made by God and not by people that think their church should "get with the times" or become more popular by accepting compromise. Seems to me men are telling God what to do and not the other way around. Is church a club or a set of eternal truths?

QFT

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    inquisition.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So...my Latin friends...we are taking a minication to Louisville Good Friday. We are thinking about hitting up a Catholic service while there.

How long are your Good Friday services and what can we expect?
    Its nice. :)

About an hour, depending on the homily. Which, they tend to have some good themes to work with there, so getting carried away can happen. :)

This is kinda awkward, but I'm not sure I'd suggest a Holy Week mass to give a real "flavor" for Catholicism. I mean, there is more tradition than usual, but if that's the only taste, then it might suggest that tradition is heavier than it really is (which, admittedly, is pretty heavy).

Of course, if taken in context, it might be really neat as a first experience.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    :D

I kinda like tradition...and it would be a good learning experience for my kids and my wife has always wanted to go to a Catholic service (If I could find a Latin Rite service, that would be the best! :woot: )
    I'll be at a joint service at Blackhawk (who planted our church); so not very traditional.

If it's like last year, there will be ice cream sandwiches afterwards. :scratch:

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    Its nice. :)

About an hour, depending on the homily. Which, they tend to have some good themes to work with there, so getting carried away can happen. :)

This is kinda awkward, but I'm not sure I'd suggest a Holy Week mass to give a real "flavor" for Catholicism. I mean, there is more tradition than usual, but if that's the only taste, then it might suggest that tradition is heavier than it really is (which, admittedly, is pretty heavy).

Of course, if taken in context, it might be really neat as a first experience.

That's the thing. I like the tradition, so I figure it would be a good experience. Plus, I live in context, so I think it would be enjoyable.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom