• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah....when it comes to salvation, I'd be pretty concerned about being right. Eternity is a long time.

Keep in mind, of course, that if your view of salvation doesn't match the Bible, then the most loving thing that we can do is tell you that you're wrong. We're not being argumentative. We don't get any enjoyment out of being "right" and seeing souls go to hell.

These discussions do lend themselves to being very serious talks. I enjoy hearing different perspectives and different beliefs and I feel that I would call most everybody in here a friend. But I have to be blunt: our common beliefs don't mean jack if we die and go to hell. Would you not agree with that? Our perspective has to be outside of this world. We can all hold hands and get along in a giant ecumenical praise session, but that isn't love. The Bible is very clear that there is only one way to heaven.

“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”
    **John‬ *14:6‬ *KJV

If someone's house is on fire and you're trying to get the occupants out before it is too late, your conversation might not be all lovey-dovey.

Look, this isn't the Civil Proselytizing Thread or Civil Conversion thread. You've posted SEVERAL things that suggest you do NOT like discussion, but rather imposition of your view.

I should not be judged by you or any other.1 And it is not for you to judge another.2

So, with all respect, my house is not on fire and you are not capable of saving me.

1. 1 Corinthians 4:3
    2. 1 Samuel 24:12; Matthew 7:1
    T.Lex,

Do you know for sure that if you died right now that you would go to Heaven.

Edit: Add verse.
    So, before we begin in earnest, I have a suggestion and a request.

The suggestion: https://www.biblegateway.com/ is a very good online resource. The search engine is robust, and you can display parallel texts. I'm using, unless I remember to note otherwise, the New Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition.

The request: as a sign of mutual respect and good faith (pardon the pun), let us concede that the other may be correct on matters of dogma/structured belief. I can, with honesty and humility, admit that there is a chance contemporary Catholic dogma is wrong. I can accept a non-zero chance that your interpretation is correct.

Would you do me the same courtesy? I am not asking for you to admit contemporary Catholic teachings ARE correct. You are free to believe that there is less than 1/10 of 1 percent chance it is correct, and I would accept that for purposes of this discussion.

To put it another way, we will likely agree easily on what Jesus said. It is the interpretation and application that become problematic. Reasonable people can disagree on the latter items. We should start with acknowledging that we are each reasonable people.

Oh, and if you haven't noticed, I can only address the Catholic church that I know - the post-Vatican II, relatively modern version.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I can not be disingenuous on this point. I can not in good faith say that there is any chance that works salvation will get anyone to heaven.

If you can do anything to improve on the Saviours work then you are placing yourself above Him.

Either you must pay for your sins or you must accept his payment.

A one on one on the terms that I must deny my faith is unthinkable.

As CP said earlier, a saved sinner takes no joy in unsaved sinner spending eternity in Hell. A saved sinner will try to extend God's gift to anyone who may need it, especially someone who is not sure they have it. That is the criteria. If a person says they are trusting Christ and nothing else for salvation and are sure that He is faithful to keep His promise to take them to Heaven then we must trust that they are saved.

On the other hand if they indicate that they don't have eternal life it is our responsibility to try to bring them to a saving knowledge of God's FREE GIFT.

Salvation is not a reward for the righteous, but a gift for sinners.

I do not judge you, there is only one just judge. If you are saved you are saved, if not... Only you and God know. If you don't know then I challenge you to make sure.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I can not be disingenuous on this point. I can not in good faith say that there is any chance that works salvation will get anyone to heaven.
    That is an answer to a different question.

You've already labelled and categorized and judged contemporary Catholicism.

If you can do anything to improve on the Saviours work then you are placing yourself above Him.
    Something else we agree on, and you seem to be applying improperly to Catholicism.

Either you must pay for your sins or you must accept his payment.
    Really not sure how to take this - general "you" or directed at me, or both? :)

A one on one on the terms that I must deny my faith is unthinkable.
    I thought I emphasized that I'm NOT asking you to deny your faith. Your faith is your faith. I'm interested in exploring it as peers.

As CP said earlier, a saved sinner takes no joy in unsaved sinner spending eternity in Hell. A saved sinner will try to extend God's gift to anyone who may need it, especially someone who is not sure they have it. That is the criteria. If a person says they are trusting Christ and nothing else for salvation and are sure that He is faithful to keep His promise to take them to Heaven then we must trust that they are saved.

On the other hand if they indicate that they don't have eternal life it is our responsibility to try to bring them to a saving knowledge of God's FREE GIFT.
    There are many gradations between trust in Christ and absolute knowledge.

I trust Christ. I have faith. Yet, I am a philosophical descendant of the original Doubting Thomas, a natural born skeptic.

I do not judge you, there is only one just judge. If you are saved you are saved, if not... Only you and God know. If you don't know then I challenge you to make sure.
    One of my recurring sins is envy for people who are binary absolutists.

But if you cannot agree that contemporary Catholicism might be correct, even a negligible chance, that suggests that you believe you have the absolute truth - that your interpretation excludes every non-conforming interpretation. I know you say you do not judge, but how can both of those things be true?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    No judgement from me (even though it's allowed in scripture)
    Then the same deal? Do you allow a non-zero chance that contemporary Catholicism may be right? Or at least acceptable to God?

How does one have their sins remitted in order to live eternally in heaven?
    I'm not sure I understand the question.

Christ died for our sins. (I don't need to cite that, do I?)

Eternal life for any individual soul requires more than Christ's death. Taken in absolute terms, Christ's death would absolve even unbelievers of their sin, even those who refused to believe at the moment of judgment.

Along those same lines, there does appear to be an at least one unforgivable sin: blaspheming against the Holy Spirit.

Mark3:28-30 said:
    28 “Truly I tell you, people will be forgiven for their sins and whatever blasphemies they utter; 29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit can never have forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin”— 30 for they had said, “He has an unclean spirit.”

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I guess I'm confused. Are you saying there are many ways to heaven? Or there are a thousand different ways to interpret scripture?
    For purposes of my request, the latter.

The former would need some clarification of the question.

Are you open to the discussion?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The First Day of Great Lent: The Canon of St Andrew of Crete

It is a dogma of the Church that God is the initiator of Grace and the Call to Salvation thus ensuring that all can be saved. But what is Salvation? Salvation is a vision and a reality of what it is to be human. What are the first two steps to salvation? The first is to realize that one is lost and that one has lost what one has been called unto for only once one realizes this can one begin to repent as Christ and Saint John the Baptist both said as their first word "Repent" uttered in the 2nd person plural command imperative mirrored in English by "Don't you ever play in the road" means to our children not now not ever. Repentance has a beginning.

During Lent, the call of the Church is to Repent and be Ready for Christ is coming! But first we must realize we are lost and the Canon of St Andrew is the service that the Church has chosen to drive the point home. When we read the Bible, we should constantly ask how are we like the characters? How are we like Adam? Judas? Joseph? etc. The Canon uses this method of reading to inquire of us just how repentant are we? Do we realize we are in trouble? So I thought I would place the 1st part of the Canon here for you to read and meditate upon. Bonus, no prostrations for you. Just read it prayerfully and ask yourself, where do I see myself? What should I be doing?

GREAT COMPLINE

We assemble in church at the ninth hour of the day (three-four o’clock in the afternoon). After the opening blessing by the priest, Blessed is our God …, the reader says: Amen. Glory to Thee, our God, glory to Thee. O heavenly King …; Holy God …, etc., and the Lord’s Prayer. Then Kyrie eleison (twelve times); Glory be to the Father …, Both now …; O come, let us worship …, and Psalm 69.
    Then follows the first section of the Great Canon of St. Andrew of Crete. Before each troparion of the Canon, we make the sign of the Cross and prostrate ourselves, and we sing: Have mercy upon me, O God, have mercy upon me. The irmoi are sung twice.

TONE SIX

CANTICLE ONE

(Irmos) He is for me unto salvation Helper and Protector. He is my God and I glorify Him, God of my fathers is He and I exalt Him, for He is greatly glorified.
    Where shall I begin to weep for the actions of my wretched life? What first-fruit shall I offer, O Christ, in this my lamentation? But in Thy compassion grant me forgiveness of sins.Come, wretched soul, with thy flesh to the Creator of all. Make confession to Him, and abstain henceforth from thy past brutishness; and offer to God tears of repentance.
    I have rivalled in transgression Adam the first-formed man, and I have found myself stripped naked of God, of the eternal Kingdom and its joy, because of my sins.
    Woe, to thee, miserable soul! How like thou art to the first Eve! For thou hast looked in wickedness and wast grievously wounded; thou hast touched the tree and rashly tasted the deceptive food.
    Instead of the visible Eve, I have the Eve of the mind: the passionate thought in my flesh, showing me what seems sweet; yet whenever I taste from it, I find it bitter.
    Adam was justly banished from Eden because he disobeyed one commandment of Thine, O Saviour. What then shall I suffer, for I am always rejecting Thy words of life?
    Glory be to the Father.…
    Trinity beyond all being, worshipped in Unity, take from me the heavy yoke of sin, and in Thy compassion grant me tears of compunction.
    Both now.…

Theotokion
    O Theotokos, the hope and protection of those who sing thy praises, take from me the heavy yoke of sin and, pure Lady, accept me in repentance.

CANTICLE TWO

(Irmos) Attend, O heaven, and I shall speak and sing in praise of Christ, who took flesh from a Virgin and came to dwell among us.
    Attend, O heaven, and I shall speak; give ear, O earth, to the voice of one who repents before God and sings His praise.
    Look upon me, God my Saviour, with Thy merciful eye, and accept my fervent confession.
    More than all men have I sinned; I alone have sinned against Thee. But as God take pity on Thy creation, O Saviour.
    With my lustful desires I have formed within myself the deformity of the passions and disfigured the beauty of my mind.
    I am surrounded by the storm of sin, O compassionate Lord. But stretch out Thine hand to me, as once Thou hast to Peter.
    I have stained the garment of my flesh, O Saviour, and defiled that which was made in Thine image and likeness.
    With the lusts of passion I have darkened the beauty of my soul, and turned my whole mind entirely into dust.
    I have torn the first garment that the Creator wove for me in the beginning, and now I lie naked.
    I have clothed myself in the torn coat that the serpent wove for me by his counsel, and I am ashamed.
    I offer to Thee, O merciful Lord, the tears of the Harlot. Take pity on me, O Saviour, in Thy compassion.
    I looked upon the beauty of the tree and my mind was deceived; and now I lie naked and ashamed.
    All the ruling passions have ploughed upon my back, making long furrows of wickedness.
    Glory be to the Father.…
    I sing Thy praises, One in Three Persons, God of all, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
    Both now.…

Theotokion
    O Theotokos undefiled, Virgin alone worthy of all praise, intercede fervently for our salvation.

CANTICLE THREE

(Irmos) Upon the unshaken rock of Thy commandments, O Christ, make firm Thy Church.
    The Lord once rained down fire from heaven and consumed the land of Sodom.
    O my soul, flee like Lot to the mountain, and take refuge in Zoar before it is too late.
    Flee from the flames, my soul, flee from the burning heat of Sodom, flee from destruction by the fire of God.
    I alone have sinned against Thee, I have sinned more than all men; reject me not, O Christ my Saviour.
    Thou art the Good Shepherd: seek me, the lamb that has strayed, and do not forget me.
    Thou art my beloved Jesus, Thou art my Creator; in Thee shall I be justified, O Saviour.
    I confess to Thee, O Saviour: I have sinned against Thee without measure. But in Thy compassion absolve and forgive me.
    Glory be to the Father.…
    O God, Trinity in Unity, save us from error and temptation and distress.
    Both now.…

Theotokion
    Hail, Womb that held God! Hail, Throne of the Lord! Hail, Mother of our Life!

CANTICLE FOUR

(Irmos) The prophet heard of Thy coming, O Lord, and he was afraid: how Thou wast to be born of a Virgin and revealed to men, and he said: ‘I have heard the report of Thee and I was afraid.’ Glory to Thy power, O Lord.
    O righteous Judge, despise not Thy works; forsake not Thy creation. I have sinned as a man, I alone, more than any other man, O Thou who lovest mankind. But as Lord of all Thou hast the power to pardon sins.
    The end draws near, my soul, the end draws near; yet thou dost not care or make ready. The time grows short, rise up: the Judge is at the door. The days of our life pass swiftly, as a dream, as a flower. Why do we trouble ourselves in vain?
    Awake, my soul, consider the actions which thou hast done; set them before thine eyes, and let the drops of thy tears fall. With boldness tell Christ of thy deeds and thoughts, and so be justified.
    No sin has there been in life, no evil deed, no wickedness, that I have not committed, O Saviour. I have sinned as no one ever before, in mind, word and intent, in disposition, thought and act.
    For this I am condemned in my misery, for this I am convicted by the verdict of my own conscience, which is more compelling than all else in the world. O my Judge and Redeemer, who knowest my heart, spare and deliver and save me in my wretchedness.
    The ladder which the great Patriarch Jacob saw of old is an example, O my soul, of approach through action and of ascent in knowledge. If then thou dost wish to live rightly in action and knowledge and contemplation, be thou made new.
    In privation Jacob the Patriarch endured the burning heat by day and the frost by night, making daily gains of sheep and cattle, shepherding, wrestling and serving, to win his two wives.
    By the two wives, understand action and knowledge in contemplation. Leah is action, for she had many children; and Rachel is knowledge, for she endured great toil. For without toil, O my soul, neither action nor contemplation will succeed.
    Glory be to the Father.…
    Undivided in Essence, unconfused in Persons, I confess Thee as God: Triune Deity, one in kingship and throne; and to Thee I raise the great thrice-holy hymn that is sung on high.
    Both now.…

Theotokion
    Thou givest birth and art a virgin, and in both thou remainest by nature inviolate. He who is born makes new the laws of nature, and the womb brings forth without travail. When God so wills, the natural order is overcome; for He does whatever He wishes.

CANTICLE FIVE

(Irmos) From the night I seek Thee early, O Lover of mankind: give me light, I pray Thee, and guide me in Thy commandments, and teach me, O Saviour, to do Thy will.
    In night have I passed all my life: for the night of sin has covered me with darkness and thick mist. But make me, O Saviour, a son of the day.
    In my misery I have followed Reuben’s example, and have devised a wicked and unlawful plan against the most high God, defiling my bed as he defiled his father’s.
    I confess to Thee, O Christ my King: I have sinned, I have sinned like the brethren of Joseph, who once sold the fruit of purity and chastity.
    As a figure of the Lord, O my soul, the righteous and gentle Joseph was sold into bondage by his brethren; but thou hast sold thyself entirely to thy sins.
    O miserable and wicked soul, imitate the righteous and pure mind of Joseph; and do not live in wantonness, sinfully indulging thy disordered desires.
    Once Joseph was cast into a pit, O Lord and Master, as a figure of Thy Burial and Resurrection. But what offering such as this shall I ever make to Thee?
    Glory be to the Father.…
    We glorify Thee, O Trinity, the one God. Holy, holy, holy, art Thou: Father, Son and Spirit, simple Essence and Unity, worshipped for ever.
    Both now.…

Theotokion
    O Virgin inviolate and Mother who hast not known man, from thee has God, the Creator of the ages, taken human flesh, uniting to Himself the nature of men.

CANTICLE SIX

(Irmos) With my whole heart I cried to the all-compassionate God: and He heard me from the lowest depths of hell, and brought my life out of corruption.
    I offer to Thee in purity, O Saviour, the tears of mine eyes and groanings from the depths of my heart, crying: ‘I have sinned against Thee, O God; be merciful to me.’
    Like Dathan and Abiram, O my soul, thou hast become a stranger to thy Lord; but from the lowest depth of hell cry out, ‘Spare me’, that the earth may not open and swallow thee up.
    Raging as a maddened heifer, O my soul, thou art become like Ephraim. As a hart from the nets rescue then thy life, gaining wings through action and the mind’s contemplation.
    O my soul, the hand of Moses shall be our assurance, proving how God can cleanse a life full of leprosy and make it white as snow. So do not despair of thyself, though thou art leprous.
    Glory be to the Father.…
    ‘I am the Trinity, simple and undivided, yet divided in Persons, and I am the Unity, by Nature one’, says the Father and the Son and the divine Spirit.
    Both now.…

Theotokion
    Thy womb bore God for us, fashioned in our shape. O Theotokos, pray to Him as the Creator of all, that we may be justified through thine intercessions.

Kontakion

TONE SIX
    My soul, O my soul, rise up! Why art thou sleeping? The end draws near and soon thou shalt be troubled. Watch, then, that Christ thy God may spare thee, for He is everywhere present and fills all things.

CANTICLE SEVEN

(Irmos) We have sinned, we have transgressed, we have done evil in Thy sight; we have not kept or followed Thy commandments. But reject us not utterly, O God of our fathers.
    I have sinned, I have offended, and I have set aside Thy commandments, for in sins have I progressed, and to my sores I have added wounds. But in Thy compassion have mercy upon me, O God of our fathers.
    The secrets of my heart have I confessed to Thee, my Judge. See my abasement, see my affliction, and attend to my judgement now; and in Thy compassion have mercy upon me, O God of our fathers.
    When Saul once lost his father’s asses, in searching for them he found himself proclaimed as king. But watch, my soul, lest unknown to thyself thou prefer thine animal appetites to the Kingdom of Christ.
    David, the forefather of God, once sinned doubly, pierced with the arrow of adultery and the spear of murder. But thou, my soul, art more gravely sick than he, for worse than any acts are the impulses of thy will.
    David once joined sin to sin, adding murder to fornication; yet then he showed at once a twofold repentance. But thou, my soul, hast done worse things than he, yet thou hast not repented before God.
    David once composed a hymn, setting forth, as in an ikon, the action he had done; and he condemned it, crying: ‘Have mercy upon me, for against Thee only have I sinned, O God of all. Do Thou cleanse me.’
    Glory be to the Father.…
    O simple and undivided Trinity, O holy and consubstantial Unity: Thou art praised as Light and Lights, one Holy and three Holies. Sing, O my soul, and glorify Life and Lives, the God of all.
    Both now.…

Theotokion
    We praise thee, we bless thee, we venerate thee, O Mother of God: for thou hast given birth to One of the undivided Trinity, thy Son and God; and thou hast opened the heavenly places to us on earth.

CANTICLE EIGHT

(Irmos) The hosts of heaven give Him glory; before Him tremble cherubim and seraphim; let everything that has breath and all creation praise Him, bless Him, and exalt Him above all for ever.
    I have sinned, O Saviour, have mercy on me. Awaken my mind and turn me back; accept me in repentance and take pity on me as I cry: I have sinned against Thee, save me; I have done evil, have mercy on me.
    Riding in the chariot of the virtues, Elijah was lifted up to heaven, high above earthly things. Reflect, O my soul, on his ascent.
    Elisha once took up the mantle of Elijah, and received a double portion of grace from the Lord: but in this grace, my soul, thou hast no share, by reason of thy greed and uncontrolled desires.
    With the mantle of Elijah, Elisha made the stream of Jordan stand still on either side: but in this grace, my soul, thou hast no share, by reason of thy greed and uncontrolled desires.
    The Shunammite woman gladly entertained the righteous Prophet: but in thy house, my soul, thou hast not welcomed stranger or traveller; and so thou shalt be cast out weeping from the bridal chamber.
    O wretched soul, always thou hast imitated the unclean thoughts of Gehazi. Cast from thee, at least in thine old age, his love of money. Flee from the fire of hell, turning away from thy wickedness.
    We bless the Lord, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
    Father without beginning, coeternal Son, and loving Comforter, the Spirit of righteousness; Begetter of the Word of God, Word of the eternal Father, Spirit living and creative: O Trinity in Unity, have mercy on me.
    Both now.…

Theotokion
    As from purple silk, O undefiled Virgin, the spiritual robe of Emmanuel, His flesh, was woven in thy womb. Therefore we honour thee as Theotokos in very truth.

CANTICLE NINE

(Irmos) Conception without seed; nativity past understanding, from a Mother who never knew a man; childbearing undefiled. For the birth of God makes both natures new. Therefore, as Bride and Mother of God, with true worship all generations magnify thee.
    My mind is wounded, my body has grown feeble, my spirit is sick, my speech has lost its power, my life is dead; the end is at the door. What shalt thou do, then, miserable soul, when the Judge comes to examine thy deeds?
    I have put before thee, my soul, Moses’ account of the creation of the world, and after that all the recognized Scriptures that tell thee the story of the righteous and the wicked. But thou, my soul, hast followed the second of these, not the first, and hast sinned against God.
    The Law is powerless, the Gospel of no effect, and the whole of Scripture is ignored by thee; the prophets and all the words of the righteous are useless. Thy wounds, my soul, have been multiplied, and there is no physician to heal thee.
    I bring thee, O my soul, examples from the New Testament, to lead thee to compunction. Follow the example of the righteous, turn away from the sinful, and through prayers and fasting, through chastity and reverence, win back Christ’s mercy.
    Christ became man, calling to repentance thieves and harlots. Repent, my soul: the door of the Kingdom is already open, and pharisees and publicans and adulterers pass through it before thee, changing their life.
    Christ became man and shared in my flesh; and willingly He performed all that belongs to my nature, only without sin. He set before thee, my soul, an example and image of His condescension.
    Christ saved the Wise Men and called the Shepherds; He revealed as martyrs a multitude of young children; He glorified the Elder and the aged Widow. But thou, my soul, hast not followed their lives and actions. Woe to thee when thou art judged!
    The Lord fasted forty days in the wilderness, and at the end of them He was hungry, thus showing that He is man. Do not be dismayed, my soul! If the enemy attacks thee, through prayer and fasting drive him away.
    Glory be to the Father.…
    Let us glorify the Father, let us exalt the Son, and with faith let us worship the Spirit of God, undivided Trinity and Unity in essence. Let us adore Light and Lights, Life and Lives, giving light and life to the ends of the earth.
    Both now.…

Theotokion
    Watch over thy City, all-pure Mother of God. For by thee she reigns in faith, by thee she is made strong; by thee she is victorious, putting to flight every temptation, despoiling the enemy and ruling her subjects.
    Holy Father Andrew, pray to God for us.
    Venerable Andrew, father thrice-blessed, shepherd of Crete, cease not to offer prayer for us who sing thy praises; that we may be delivered from all danger and distress, from corruption and sin, who honour thy memory with faith.
    And then again the irmos, Conception without seed.…
    We continue with Psalm 4 and the rest of Great Compline.

Orthodox Church. (2002). The Lenten Triodion. (K. Ware with Mother Mary, Trans.) (pp. 198–209). South Canaan, PA: St. Tikhon’s Seminary Press.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Lent: Make a Good Beginning!

To those who begin the Lenten journey today I want you to know you are in my prayers that you may have a blessed Lenten journey.

This past Monday, our first day of Lent is known as Clean Monday. It is often a day were an Orthodox Parish will give a retreat as we begin a time of year that most Protestants would call a revival. Multiple services throughout the week and even some 2 a days.

I wanted to post my notes from such a retreat in the hopes that someone might find them edifying and practical for a deeper Christian walk. I converted these notes from outline to paragraph form rather quickly today so that is why the capitalization may seem wierd. I do hope they are legible for those who wish to read them.

So here they are:

When does our Christian Life Begin? The Christian life is one of many beginnings. We don't always know what to do. One thing many Christians will say though is “I want a deeper Christian Life than I have now.” But what does that mean? Better morally? More honest? More just? However, Moral improvement is not the goal of the Christian Life. We don't go to Church to learn how to live a good life

The Church is our Hospital and Jesus is the physician. The point of the Christian life is the healing of soul and body. The goal is to be holy not right or good. We find Freedom and Peace within the Church. Freedom from sin. It may take 20 years to conquer a single sin, another conquered in just a moment.
    Often it begins with meeting someone holy. We want what they have.

This brings us to the first step in our journey. We must recognize that something is lost. Abba Dorotheos in his Discourses and Sayings On Renunciation said concerning man in his initial creation that man was in prayer and contemplation, healthy, and perfect in his nature, having the power to act freely in all his virtues, but Paradise is Lost, all is not well, life is not as it should be. Intimacy with God is gone and this loss is not only cosmic but personal.

In this first step we recognize God created Paradise and Heaven for mankind. That Creation falls with man that Creation is restored by Holiness. Who created Hell? God. For Whom? Satan and his demons.

We must recognize that something is lost. We act contrary to our true nature. The Christian life can not begin until we recognize this.

The Church has a positive anthropology. "Only Human" not a Christian statement. Our mission is restoration and recovery. John 10:10: …have life, and have it more abundantly..". That is why in our churches on opposite sides of soleia are the Icons of the Crucifixion and Resurrection. In the Resurrection Icon, Adam is yanked from the grave by the hand of Christ and the sleeve of Adam is a bright color where Christ touches him while the rest of the garment is still subdued.

Man is supposed to free, immortal, clothed in virtue, from one of the hymns of Lent.

In my wretchedness I have cast off the robe woven by God, disobeying Thy divine command, O Lord, at the counsel of the enemy; and I am clothed now in fig leaves and in garments of skin. I am condemned to eat the bread of toil in the sweat of my brow, and the earth has been cursed so that it bears thorns and thistles for me. But, Lord, who in the last times wast made flesh of a Virgin, call me back again and bring me into Paradise.

Orthodox Church. (2002). The Lenten Triodion. (K. Ware with Mother Mary, Trans.) (p. 168). South Canaan, PA: St. Tikhon’s Seminary Press.

As we age, if we are a slave to the passions, we become more and more enslaved. Romans 5:12-14, but from repentance great things come. David commits adultery and the baby from this act dies. He writes the great psalm of repentance, Psalm 50, and his second son from this union is Solomon from whom Mary descends. Sin becomse enshrined in our daily lives. We Hide it and protect it. If left, it festers and infects.
    On a pilgrimage, a Monk asked by an Alcoholic and how to overcome Alcoholism by a man who had kept it hidden from the priest, family and fellow parishoners but who now laid bare his sin in front of them all.
    Do you believe in angels and demons? Yes
    How about the fall from grace? The loss of paradise? Yes
    Heaven and Hell, God and the devil? Yes
    The day of judgement? Spiritual warfare, a war for your soul? Yes
    Sin and Death? Yes
    If you had answered no to any of these, I would have nothing to say to you.

The Church's answers are directed towards you personally. We are saving a soul, a person, who is living a life. Christ’s answers are given in the context of a relationship. Mark 10: Rich Young Ruler
    1st Answer: Keep the commandments. Kept since youth
    2nd Answer: What do I still lack?
    Jesus looks at him.
    Jesus loves him.
    Jesus answers him.

Who Touched me? Jesus sought out the woman

The second step in our Christian journey is repentance. Repentance precedes Confession. Repent is the 1st public word by both John and Jesus. In the Greek construction is in command imperative, 2nd person plural: A command that has no end. This is similar to the English construction: "Don't you ever run into the street again" A command that continues.

However, repentance should be joyful not sorrowful. There is joy in heaven over repentance. The time of sinning is the time for shame and sorrow.

Consider the story of the Prodigal Son. Story begins with Father giving son his inheritance. The Son Journeys afar off. And Blows the inheritance in usual manner. He becomes poor and a famine comes. The son Joins himself to new father, Hoping to eat what the pigs are eating. But then, He Comes to his senses. He returns and admits sin and wishes to be treated just as a servant. He faces his father. All is forgiven with joy and celebration.

The Purpose of the Church is to get you ready to die. A family was denied an open casket funeral. In western culture, death is avoided. Corpses are not to be seen especially by little children. Cremation is now ok with 74% of Christians which roughly corresponds to the number of Christians who do not believe in a bodily resurrection. However the Church teaches that we are all going to die. Seeing a corpse reminds us that we all will die. This is why in the Orthodox Church we kiss the cold body, the corpse at a funeral. Young and old alike. It is a moment of goodbye, it is a moment of realization

How the Church shows this during Lent. During the 3 Sundays leading up to Lent, we first hear the story of Publican and the Pharisee to shake us to the reality that something is not right that something has been lost. The second Sunday, we hear the story of the Prodigal Son. The Father is ready to receive us back if we repent. Finally on the third Sunday, we hear the Parable of the Last Judgement, the sheep and the goats. We need to be prepared for our death.

So where do we go from here? We begin our spiritual warfare. We recognize that prior to the fall the order of things was soul, mind, body. After the fall, this became body, mind, soul.

The Mystical Start of our Life in Christ begins in our Baptism. It Begins in the Narthex (Outside the Church). We Reject Satan, Spit upon him, and Turn and enter the Church. 9 times we are asked if we accept Christ. The Baptistry is 8 sided to recognize the dawn of the eighth day. The service is future looking! Phrases such as

That he may grow in and become….
    Form the image of your Christ in him….
    Build him on the foundation

We are Clothed in Grace, Robed in Grace, and robed in a white garment. Through sin, Adam lost his robe. We too, through sin lose our robes but through repentance we are weaving a new garment. A second baptism through tears of repentance. Baptism is Illumination. Psalm 19:8: Illumination through keeping the commandments of Christ. The Fibers of our garment are the virtues. We weave from now until the time we die. How much of the garment do I need? The thief on the cross needed a single thread. The answer to this question is not known nor necessary.

Before The Fall, We were Created in Image and Likeness of God. We were naked and unashamed. We were Clothed in Righteousness. Then a commandment was given, disobedience, shame, hiding, denial and blame all resulting in the loss of paradise. After Christ Baptism, the First Temptation to Eat. The Devil has no new Tricks.

The story of Josepth is familiar. Joseph is the favorite, he is thrown in to a pit, he is stripped of his robe. His brothers sell him to the Ishmaelites and he ends up a steward in Potiphar’s house where the wife tries to seduce him. But Joseph flees, leaving behind his clothing. Naked and unashamed because he is clothed in virtue.

From the Bridegroom Service hymns of Holy Week.

The serpent finding the eqyptian woman as a second eve hastens through words of flattery to cause the downfall of joseph, but he leaving his garment fled from sin and being naked felt unashamed. Even as the first created before the disobedience. By his intercessions have mercy on us.

The Gateway texts to Holy Week are Matthew 22:1-14: Parable of the Wedding Banquet. The man with no garment is cast out. Matthew 25:1-13: Parable of the 10 Virgins. The Greek parallels of Eleion/Eleios: Oil/Mercy. Get the oil in this life through acts of mercy. Be prepared. And finally, Matthew 25:31-46: The Parable of the Last Judgement. Sheep on the Right. This is why when we stand and walk on the right on the priest. We stand to the right during confession. When we make our prayer list for the living and the dead, the list of the Dead is written on the Right. The Sheep don't recognize themselves as sheep. Good deeds are the fruit of the Christian however, not recognizing one’s good deeds as good deeds is the mark of a Christian. If we do good in the hopes of gaining a benefit or recognition, then, as St John Chrysostom says, our reward will be in this life and not the next.

Just as Adam gains color in the Icon of the Resurrection, in the Icon of the Mystical (Last) Supper, Judas is turned in Profile, skin discolored and darkened clothing.

The Christian is to be following the commandments of Christ. John 14:15-17, 21, 23. John 15:9,10.

Read Matthew thru John and write down the commandments of Christ and keep them. In John 5:14: Sin no more. It must be possible because Jesus said to do it. In Matthew 5: cast out your eyes, cut off your hand. Take off your glasses to keep from judgement of others we see. Quit looking that things you "want". Sweat, cry and weep. It is Possible through Christ. Galatians 2:20. Romans 6:3-7: Our Baptismal Text. John 6:52-56

So now if we have the resolve to begin, what are some Practical Steps to Transforming our Life in Christ?
    Become familiar with the spiritual tools of the Church. Decide how much of a spiritual athlete I want to be and how much fight is in me? Can I do become better at anything in life by only doing it 30-40 minutes per week.

True Repentance begins by Coming to terms with who I really am and Not looking or judging others to better myself. It is a Continuous Process and I should Get better with time/practice/integrity. God’s Grace is always there, but just like the sun if I only present my profile to receive it, I am not receiving the full benefit of it. As I turn towards God, I receive more grace. Be a solar farm!

Practice Self Accusation. Jesus: Judge not that ye be not judged. Paul: Condemn myself that I might not be condemned. Do we know/recognize our sins? Can I name them? Name and Claim them!

Overcome Sins one by one. It is necessary to Make a Beginning. St John of the Ladder: Have to apply force of equal strength to the attacking force. And victory is achieved in accordance with the inclination of one's own heart. Not overpowering but equal. Victory comes when the heart desires it. Kingdom is taken by violence.

Read the Bible. All the time. Know the text. Start with the Gospels. The Language of the Bible becomes our language. Follow Bible Studies online. Listen in the car. Memorize. Just Start.

Pray. How much? Unceasing! My Prayers or the Church's? Both

Read the Classical Literature of the Church. Not "The Shack", "Heaven is Real" Even protestants are starting to use the Fathers in their Commentaries!

Providence. Live Providentially. Recognize that everything that occurs in my live is under Divine Providence. God allows not God decrees because of our Freedom. Peace comes from living Providentially. The Two Thieves. Thief on the Right: Accepts his lot in life. Thief on the Left: Protests his lot in life.

Story of Father John from Albania. Imprisoned for his faith. Escaped over the Alps. Became a student at Holy Cross. Never Spoke, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Asked before he left for Albania to say a word "You guys complain a lot, I've been here for 2 1/2 years and I sit here at the table with you and all you do is complain". He is Now a Bishop in Albania.

Deacon Paul in Africa at a small village. No food water shelter for 12 hours. After 4 hours of preaching the Gospel, were asked not to stop No one Complained

Mother Theresa: America is the poorest country because we have everything and we have nothing. Stop Complaining!

Ask for Humility and accept the humiliation when it comes.

Live by the rules of the Fathers. Be Strict with yourself, Be merciful to others, Be Clear about the truth

Realize that Pride is manifested in only 3 ways: I want to be first, I want what I want to be all mine. I want to enjoy myself and have fun.

Live in the Present. Christ’s title in the bible and on his icon is I AM: not I WAS or I WILL BE. Because of this Demons can not live in the present, but in the past and in the future. They give us answers to questions such as: What I should have said, What I should have done, If only I can have.. Demons always flee from Christ in the present that is why Now is the day of Salvation.

Practice Charity by giving Alms to the Poor

Refuse to Judge your neighbor: No anger, hatred, or animosity towards anyone. Confession is not blaming others.

Be Thankful, Live Eucharistically. Not normative for us. Be thankful Even for tribulation. Begin with job, wife, home, pets, journal this, food, weather, simple things but make a beginning!

Practicing the Commandments. We are called to Obedience, Humility, and Accountability. Start by Picking 1 commandment that battles a specific personal passion. Apply it relentlessly. When successful, add another. The Fathers say that When you get to 10 that you can keep, the rest will fall into place. Finally add reminders everywhere, refrigerator, car, computer, desk, table.

Go to Confession Weekly if Possible. Will not get well in the spiritual life without confession. Go with Humility and Obedience. Realize Jesus expanded the commandments. Seek advice.

Recognize How Temptation becomes a habitual sin and don’t let it happen. Provocation, Curiosity. Involvement. Participation and finally Captivity.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    During the Sundays of Lent, the Orthodox Churches of Central Indiana meet as one. This Sunday, at 1700, the Sunday of Orthodoxy will be celebrated at Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church in Carmel IN. If you would like to attend, PM me. A meal will be provided after this celebration of the Triumph of Orthodoxy. Also on March 18th at 0900 is the Lenten retreat for this year which is also at Holy Trinity in Carmel, IN. Meals are also provided. PM if interested in this.

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Are you closer to Christ than you were last week?
    Are you more Christ like than you were last week?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This seemed like the topic to share this.

My Dad passed over into eternity yesterday. His faith was real to him and that made it real to me. I know that he has gone to meet his Savior. Because of my Dad's guiding and example, this is a temporary separation.

I would appreciate prayer for my Mom as she is entering a new phase of life. They were married for 54 years, a true matched pair.

David Hough: Child of the King, Husband, Father, Grandfather, Engineer, Inventor, Veteran.

[video=youtube;LhnXMCqZrdg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhnXMCqZrdg[/video]

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Prayers of comfort for all those who will miss him here in this tiny subset of reality ...for a little while.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Prayers for your Mom and your family.

1 Corinthians 15:55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

I am so glad that you know.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sorry for your loss Hough......Kingdom just got a new craftsman....When I first got on here six years ago and asked about your INGO handle you explained what "Hough Made" means and why it's important to you......The heart, love and skills he passed lives on in the projects and lives of you and your boys.....

You all are in our prayers and peace for your mother as she grieves the lost of her best friend and husband....I am truly sorry sir...

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom