• ...and so much more!
  • Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    OK, try this.

1. Make NO sudden moves. You are obviously dealing with a dangerous, possibly unstable, individual.

2. Do exactly what the officer tells you to do.

3. If you have to take your hands off the steering wheel, speak slowly, clearly, and soothingly, and tell the officer what you are doing.
    Example: "Yes, Officer, I will reach for my wallet to retrieve my drivers license." or "May I get my registration from my glove box?"
    REMEMBER, NO SUDDEN MOVES.

4. Answer all questions, volunteer nothing. As long as his gun is pointed at you, you are in reasonable fear for your life. You can make the case that any admissions by you were coerced by threat of death.

5. Contact an attorney asap. If necessary, write letters to the editor of the local paper to inform all citizens that they should expect to be held at gunpoint during any contact with the police.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Well this is why I never post on here because I have an honest question, my PTSD makes me extremely paranoid, and frankly I cant trust someone who is treating me like I just robbed a gas station, by pointing a gun at me I take that highly offensive and had training to handle firearms, explosives and such, and just because of that I show everyone respect and try to be kind. Weither or not the officer such as them to conduct themselves in a professional manner and the cop is having a bad day that act is something I find dangerous and reckless and I expect a highly trained professional to conduct themselves with morals and merit. I hear all the time that Cops have a dangerous job and they have to deal with criminals on a day to day basis. I just ask for some mutial respect, and I will not excuse someones reckless actions that endangers my saftey. I guess you have your cliques and I dont fit the mold and think differently so again flame away
    This thread started out pretty vague, no big deal, it happens, don't let it run you away from INGO. Like others have said, talk to an attorney.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Well this is why I never post on here because I have an honest question, my PTSD makes me extremely paranoid, and frankly I cant trust someone who is treating me like I just robbed a gas station, by pointing a gun at me I take that highly offensive and had training to handle firearms, explosives and such, and just because of that I show everyone respect and try to be kind. Weither or not the officer such as them to conduct themselves in a professional manner and the cop is having a bad day that act is something I find dangerous and reckless and I expect a highly trained professional to conduct themselves with morals and merit. I hear all the time that Cops have a dangerous job and they have to deal with criminals on a day to day basis. I just ask for some mutial respect, and I will not excuse someones reckless actions that endangers my saftey. I guess you have your cliques and I dont fit the mold and think differently so again flame away

Based on this post it sound more like it's a PTSD issue than a cop point a gun at you issue, if that's the case, go talk to someone about the PTSD and get help for it, you aren't already, and if you are ASK these questions of those individuals. Your questions really do come across as best suited for lawyers, doctors and psychologists not an internet forum.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Based on this post it sound more like it's a PTSD issue than a cop point a gun at you issue, if that's the case, go talk to someone about the PTSD and get help for it, you aren't already, and if you are ASK these questions of those individuals. Your questions really do come across as best suited for lawyers, doctors and psychologists not an internet forum.

Big +1

PTSD is serious, and talking to someone about it might be best.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Well this is why I never post on here...

...I guess you have your cliques and I dont fit the mold and think differently so again flame away

Nobody is saying that pointing a gun at you is acceptable for simply carrying or having a license to do so... it isn't.

They're just saying that you can't really do anything about it until it's over.

If you think it honestly warrants a gunfight at that moment in time, then yes, you will find some disagreement here.
    Most would opt to live through it and then hold them accountable via complaint or court.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    Nobody is saying that pointing a gun at you is acceptable for simply carrying or having a license to do so... it isn't.

They're just saying that you can't really do anything about it until it's over.

If you think it honestly warrants a gunfight at that moment in time, then yes, you will find some disagreement here.
    Most would opt to live through it and then hold them accountable via complaint or court.

This sounds like it might be a good answer - but quite frankly, most of this gave me a headache trying to understand his question. However, since this answer is from ATM it is suspect to me...

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    That's when it's time to play the game of "do what the man with the gun tells you". I had it happen once when my brakes went out & the cop thought I was some kind of crackhead, driving like that. We sorted it out ok, though.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Um, not sure but wouldn't a diagnosed mental issue like PTSD render your LTCH and legal ability to possess a gun invalid? Just sayin'

I certainly hope not.

I would hope it would take a little more...like the person must be deemed an actual danger to others in a court of law before we should take away a basic human Right.

Once we start going down the road that says all forms of diagnosed "mental illness" is grounds for removing your Right to arms then it makes it easy for every single one of us to easily & conveniently having our Rights srtipped away.

I mean, have you ever looked at the size of the DSM-IV. If you try hard enough, there isn't a SINGLE PERSON who couldn't be diagnosed with some form of "mental illness".

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I certainly hope not.

I would hope it would take a little more...like the person must be deemed an actual danger to others in a court of law before we should take away a basic human Right.

Once we start going down the road that says all forms of diagnosed "mental illness" is grounds for removing your Right to arms then it makes it easy for every single one of us to easily & conveniently having our Rights srtipped away.

I mean, have you ever looked at the size of the DSM-IV. If you try hard enough, there isn't a SINGLE PERSON who couldn't be diagnosed with some form of "mental illness".

Ain't THAT the truth! Why, I, myself, happen to be heterosexual.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Ok I must have really upset someone and maybe I need to reword what I was asking. OK!!!!

If I get pulled over and the cop freaks out and pulls his gun and points it at me, what should I do, I am not trying to **** anyone off so if I did I apologize, not my intensions. And just to let you know this happens alot here in Fort Wayne, with the cops. 4 of my friends has had this happen. I am Iraq veteran and I am kinda jumpy when someone pulls and points a gun at me, because I have a Carry liscence????? Ok Flame away

You do as you are instructed to do.

Well I have had some crazy stuff happen here in Fort Wayne. Once the cop pulled us over for speeding my friend Tracy had his permit on him but no gun that night. the cop whipped out his gun and pointed it at me and my friend. I have been taught that you dont point a gun at something unless you intend to pull the trigger. and in CQB that is deemed a hostile. I just dont want anyone to be hurt and I dont feel like getting shot from a civilian who is on a power trip. Do I request to see their supervisor.

Why did he draw down on you? I think you are leaving out key points in the story.

PTSB is no excuse for being paranoid and questioning if you can pull your gun on a cop. I'm getting the impression that you are always half cocked when it comes to LEO confrontations. If I am wrong and you feel you are being treeted wrong by the FWPD you need to file a complaint asap.

I have a few questions for you:

1. What are you doing to get this much attention from the police?

2. What kind of company do you keep?

3. Do you think you should be carrying a firearm if you admit you are suffering from PTSD, you have paranoia and you are questioning if you can pull your gun on an LEO ?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Well, I asked the officer not to point the gun at me. It just made him madder.:D

Once he points the gun at you, you are under arrest. Comply and live to see the morning.

If he is pointing a gun at you he better have probable cause to arrest you. If not, then you need to take administrative and civil measures.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I cant trust someone who is treating me like I just robbed a gas station

Weither or not the officer such as them to conduct themselves in a professional manner

I expect a highly trained professional to conduct themselves with morals and merit.

Just a quick question... what the heck are you doing that's continually getting you pulled over?
    Maybe you should find out what they're alerting to and sort of...I dunno...knock it off? :dunno:

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Just a quick question... what the heck are you doing that's continually getting you pulled over?
    Maybe you should find out what they're alerting to and sort of...I dunno...knock it off? :dunno:

OP said his friend was pulled over, while he was riding with said friend, one time and they both had a gun pointed at them.
    OP also said 4 of his friends had had guns pointed at them by FWPD.
    Based on the information given, it sounds like the question should be, "Why are the Fort Wayne Police so paranoid?"

My advice stands: assume the officer is a dangerous paranoid and try you best to calm him down and make him feel safe and in complete control.
    Unless you're willing to risk instant death, do not demand your rights while an officer is pointing a gun at you.

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    The first thing you do is follow the officers commands.This prevents an ugly situation from getting uglier.
    After the situation has ended, (hopefully for the best) you file a formal complaint against the officer(s) involved with their Department. Try to get a complaint number etc. for your records.
    Contact an attorney and follow his advice. :ingo:

mavisky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Greater Atlanta Area
    I've been pulled over twice in Fort Wayne since I've had my CCW and both times had the weapon on me. I didn't tell the officer, and he didn't ask. No guns were pointed at anyone and I went on about my day both times without so much as a written warning. Use lots of yes sirs, I'm sorry sirs, I'll do that sir, and you'll probably be just fine.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I once had a cop "draw" his gun on me. And by Draw, he had his gun out and was crouched down walk up on the back of the vehicle I was in.

Me and a friend were driving to indy, from CA. We were in this little town in New mexico. I pulled out from a gas station, only to realize i was in the wrong lane, meaning I was in the lane of opposing traffic (it was dark, the road was weird) So I decided it would be best to run the red light to get out of the lane. The moment I was in the intersection I saw a cop sitting in a parking lot. He pulled out and I just pulled over bc i knew he had me. My friend. decides to start frantically digging in his over stuffed jeep for his military id. The windows were rolled down. I look in my mirror and see the cop gun out (pointed at the ground) creeping up on the jeep. I then started yelling (no at the top of my lungs) at my friend. "stop looking for your id, he will ask for it when he wants it. You are going to get us both shot looking around like that just chill the **** out!" he sat up straight the cop was holstering his gun as he got to the window and with a half smirk he said "You boys alright?" I said "yes were fine, Im sorry about that red light, i was in the wrong lane and wanted to get out of it." his reply was "yea, I saw that. where you boys heading?" "Indiana, just picked him up from 29 palms we're headin home"

"Have a good night boys, drive safe"

and that was the end of it we drove home with out any more issues.

Top Bottom