• ...and so much more!
  • mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    You do as you are instructed to do.

Why did he draw down on you? I think you are leaving out key points in the story.

PTSB is no excuse for being paranoid and questioning if you can pull your gun on a cop. I'm getting the impression that you are always half cocked when it comes to LEO confrontations. If I am wrong and you feel you are being treeted wrong by the FWPD you need to file a complaint asap.

I have a few questions for you:

1. What are you doing to get this much attention from the police?

2. What kind of company do you keep?

3. Do you think you should be carrying a firearm if you admit you are suffering from PTSD, you have paranoia and you are questioning if you can pull your gun on an LEO ?

maybe its just me, but i dont recall him asking if he can pull his gun on the LEO

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Protocol is you are suppose to inform the officer that you are armed.

Define "protocol".

If by that you mean we are under a legal obligation to inform in INDIANA then you are COMPLETELY wrong.

If you mean that YOU think it's best to inform & that LEO's would LIKE you to inform then OK, that's definitely your (& their) opinion. Do what you want but don't pass on incorrect information as fact.

I got to do this a couple months ago so I'll share the story.

My son is on I74 and the engine blows, there is a resulting grass fire in the ditch. He calls me and I tell him to call 911 and tell them about what mile maker he is at and that there is a fire in the ditch. It's about 10:30pm so I grab my sidearm, 1.5million candle power flashlight and a fire extinguisher. By the time I get there the fire is being put out and we check out the car. State trooper pulls up behind the car and has all the lights on us, I'm on the other side of the car and the hood is open. My carry is pretty much covered by my coat.

I took about 3 steps to the left, this gave the officer a good view of me. My hands were in plain sight. The conversation went like this.

Me: "Officer, I understand that I have to inform you that I am armed"
    Trooper: "Do you have the weapon on you?"
    Me: "Yes"
    Trooper: "Where is it and is it loaded?"
    Me: "My right hip and yes."
    Trooper: "Ok, would you mind turning your back to me and placing your hands on your head?"
    Me: "No mam that is not a problem"
    Trooper: "Now remove the weapon for the holster and hold it out to the side"
    Me: I take the weapon from the holster and extend my right are to its full length. Making sure my hand was in no threatening position on the weapon.

Trooper takes the gun drops the clip and clears the chamber and tells me I can put my hands down and turn around if I'd like. Trooper calls the gun in blah blah blah, we have a nice chat about things. Then she asks me if I was told or taught that was how to handle that kind of situation. I told her no, but I did read the rules and the do's and don't of the of carrying a gun. And it just seems to be a bit of common sense. At the conclusion of business I get my gun back.

That whole scenario was a steaming load of :poop:.

So, you did what you felt was the "right" thing & were subsequently treated like a criminal who was a danger to the cop. Wow.

In this case you weren't even being pulled over for even a traffic violation so there is no PC AT ALL for the cop to think that you were a danger to ANYONE aside from the fact that you were legally carrying a gun.

And you're OK with how this all went down? :rolleyes:

You're even so PROUD of what happened to you, you are boasting about it on this forum. :rolleyes:

If that would have been me I would have been pissed. Heck, I'm even pissed about it happening to you. There was NO call to do that to you.

If cops want people to inform them of a gun then maybe they should do a better job of treating people with respect when they do. I will tell you that there is NO WAY I'm informing just to be treated like a common thug criminal. NO WAY.

linkinpark9812

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lake County, Town of Munster
    Well, if you are on a traffic stop and a cop just gets out of his car and points a gun and instructs you to do whatever (see hands, open door, etc.) Especially if you see multiple police vehicles, it is NOT because they saw you have a LTCH.

Most likely a high-risk traffic stop ("felony traffic stop"), probably because your vehicle happened to match the description of a vehicle leaving the scene of a crime. It has happened before.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom