• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I will grant you that I am in a particularly pessimistic mood today, but I would pose the question of whether or not the republic can be salvaged at this point. My doubts are founded on a short list of critical problems. First, and most critical, there are too many among us who have absolutely no understanding of the differences between a republic and a democracy, hence have no idea of the requirements to make a republic function correctly. They also do not understand that the federal budget does not work like playing Monopoly in which the bank never runs out of money. Second, we have far too many people whose thoughts never leave the realm of self-gratification and do not realize that short term immediate gratification may well create long term problems that act greatly to their detriment, and do not care about much of anything so long as they are warm, dry, fed, and, well, get serviced once in a while. Third, we have a significant portion of our population which is directly motivated to vote for a living in one way or another. This group would range from aid recipients to government contractors, politicians and staff, and the growing army of government employees of all description. I would also add those new categories of people who depend on government largess like the green energy manufacturers living on tax money because their products are not economically viable, yet the fearless leader deems them worthy of robbing the rest of us. Right-thinking candidates seem not to have a realistic chance of being elected anything other than butt of the collective national joke, and government expansion is going supernova. What are your thoughts on whether or not it can be done?

Let me emphasize from the beginning that this question is of our government succeeding at remaining viable as a constitutional republic of its own volition through the present political process. Suggestions pertaining to 'helping' the process along or suggesting 'corrective actions' outside the political process are not the subject of the question nor are they permissible both in terms of site rules and the law. I would not like to see anyone banned or demoted to inmate!

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...n/12952-posting_about_inciting_civil_war.html

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    The short answer is no.

The long answer is probably no still.

See USSR for what will happen to us. I would like to think it will be more like Ancient Greece and i would hope to be a Spartan.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Not likely.

That said, my greater concern resides with the well being of Liberty than it does with the republic.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Not likely.

That said, my greater concern resides with the well being of Liberty than it does with the republic.

Sorry for being ambiguous. As far as I am concerned, in order for the republic is defined by the Constitution, and therefore I would count the two as being, or not being, hand in hand.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    No, it can't be saved. You can't even have a garage sale without petty tyrants trying to regulate it. These tyrants make up at least 80% of the population.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Whether I believe it can be saved is irrelevant to my mission to save it.*

"Honor, justice, and humanity, forbid us tamely to surrender that freedom which we received from our gallant ancestors, and which our innocent posterity have a right to receive from us."
    ~TJ

*I voted yes. It is the reason I volunteer for Project Appleseed.

Last edited:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Those of us who support constitutional government as opposed to an authoritarian nanny state.

Then I suppose it depends on the constitution in question. If it's the one we've got, the answer is "no", because the document itself desperately needs revision.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Whether I believe it can be saved is irrelevant to my mission to save it.

I agree. I am just after your prognosis on the outcome. I am certainly not advocating that anyone should lie down and passively let things happen.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I don't think so. The establishment has left us with the choice of dying at 99mph or 100mph. Doesn't really make a lick of difference to me. We're entering into a age of neo-feudalist fascism. There won't be any return to freedom for any land under control of the Federal government. Welcome to the New World Order.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I really don't think there is anything we can do. I know where not supposed to talk about blah blah, but I don't think that would ever happen anyway.

I could see an economic collapse, as happened in Argentina, where there would be no checks for people to live off of going out. People would either learn to get by on their own or starve.

I listen to Alex Jones rail on every now and then about the gov't wanting everyone as an employee or on benefits.

We have to get control of the Congress and POTUS and start weaning people off of programs. Even if they continue to get benefits for a bit, put them to work doing whatever, showing them the value of work and earning a buck.

Think about it, today's society is built to try and game the system, from getting back as much back from our taxes as we can to

9781921667657.jpg

Gotta love that "free" money, don't ya?

We need to reform our gov't, simplify the hell out of our tax code, or go flat tax and abolish the IRS and just clean house. The problem is, without term limits, we have no way of removing these long time politician goofballs like Orrin Hatch or Dick Lugar from the power they've gained over the years.

Chris387

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Just south of Indy
    I said no.
    The schools, universities, media etc are all being used against us.
    But maybe something has hasn't been tried for 150 years will be tried again. Not that I condone that thing I will not mention...

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I said yes, because I believe in America. But those fools who vote Democrat in the name of Political Correctness, and handouts, practice divisive politics and it makes me sick. Our only hope is that PC becomes a bad word, and we start focusing on reality and treating all races/religions the same.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    "To take from one, because it is thought that his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, -the guarantee to every one of a free exercise of his industry, and the fruits acquired by it."
    -Jefferson

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I really don't think that it can be saved. This nation started down a slippery slope almost a century ago, which begs the question of how to get back up that slope? There are too many of those in government to serve themselves, not selfless service.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Current Democrats cant pass a budget, Congress can't get past steroids in baseball, and POTUS well i will keep my mouth shut on that plenty has been said about it.

Not so much because they can't, but because they won't. Harry Reid has stated he does not want a budget to pass the senate.

Top Bottom