• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Not so much because they can't, but because they won't. Harry Reid has stated he does not want a budget to pass the senate.

Why do I hear crickets when his constituents are confronted with the question of why they are going to allow him a free pass on refusing to do his job because he just doesn't want to?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Why do I hear crickets when his constituents are confronted with the question of why they are going to allow him a free pass on refusing to do his job because he just doesn't want to?

Same reason you hear crickets from republican voters when republicans implement liberal policies.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Nope. I know, we're a Republic but...

A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

• From bondage to spiritual faith;
    • From spiritual faith to great courage;
    • From courage to liberty;
    • From liberty to abundance;
    • From abundance to complacency;
    • From complacency to apathy;
    • From apathy to dependence;
    • From dependence back into bondage.
    Considering that close to 50% of Americans no longer pay a dime in income tax, and we have things like earned income tax credit that pays you a refund for the taxes you didn't pay, I'd say say we are really close to dependence.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Preferring a Republic because it's not a Democracy is kinda like preferring lite beer because it's not regular beer. Either way, it's killing you.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    May God have mercy on our souls for what we have squandered and the position in which we are putting our children and grandchildren.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    I said yes, because I believe in America. But those fools who vote Democrat in the name of Political Correctness, and handouts, practice divisive politics and it makes me sick. Our only hope is that PC becomes a bad word, and we start focusing on reality and treating all races/religions the same.
    IMO, this attitude is a major cause of our nation's current problem. You are very naive, my friend, if you think only Democrats have brought us to where we are.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    This country survived a civil war, the stock market crash, a "great" depression, two world wars, fake oil crisis, and a host of other things. We will survive this, but it won't be pretty, and it won't be over night.

The problem with the "I want it now" mentality is that we can't have it now. It will take a while to weed out those in our government who hate this country. We just need the intelligent voters to get out and vote, otherwise we will continue pandering to those who don't want to raise a finger to help themselves.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    ^^^This. There's little functional difference between republicanism and democracy. Both are rule by the masses.

I would argue that the problem is that our republic is acting as a de facto democracy when the two are supposed to be two entirely different things, with the republic having a government functioning with limited power under the rule of law and the democracy doing whatever the hell 51% of the people want at any given moment.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    i think the republic can be saved, but it is going to take the work of a lot of people to make it happen. people are apathetic, dont care, and think their one vote does not count enough to get off their tails and cast it. i was one of those people, not long ago. i have opened my eyes and am just starting to wake up. the pendulum will swing one direction or the other, and when it does, it will not be pretty at first. we will either end with liberty and going back to what the constitution says or we will swing the other direction into tyranny and dictatorship. if the rest of the country could just wake up, and vote. if everyone would come out to the polls and vote for someone besides all who are currently in office, in 6 years time we could have an entirely new .gov in place. might not be the best strategy, but it would send a message to those that are in after those 6 years.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I'd say even odds. The good news is that the pendulum among the young seems to be swinging back toward conservative principles - as far as they can understand them. And I heard today from a couple sources that illegals seem to be leaving the country in about the same numbers as are coming in lately. It will still take a major shift in mindset among a large section of the population to bring us back even close to the original Constitutional representative republic envisioned by the Founders. Instead of 50 years of Democrat-controlled Congress and the education system, we're going to need 60 years of Tea Party or Libertarian - controlled Congress and a vast shift in what is taught in our schools and universities.

cqcn88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    This country survived a civil war, the stock market crash, a "great" depression, two world wars, fake oil crisis, and a host of other things. We will survive this, but it won't be pretty, and it won't be over night.

The problem with the "I want it now" mentality is that we can't have it now. It will take a while to weed out those in our government who hate this country. We just need the intelligent voters to get out and vote, otherwise we will continue pandering to those who don't want to raise a finger to help themselves.

Surviving a fake oil crisis is easy. Wait for the real one. Quite a few very scholarly people have put peak oil behind us by a few years. You don't have to be a super scientist to understand oil is not an infinite resource and you also don't have to be a super scientist to understand there are no energy sources or storage methods that will even come close to replacing oil. The technology just isn't even close yet and it costs oil to advance technology. There are also very scholarly people who put peak oil out in front of us somewhere but they all agree its coming. Think our current way of doing things in politics is going to survive that mess when it happens?

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    And I heard today from a couple sources that illegals seem to be leaving the country in about the same numbers as are coming in lately.

i've heard this, but i dont know if i believe it. i wonder if its not just BS to try and convince us things are better..... a smoke screen if you will

jake

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    As much as I wanted to vote yes and hope with all my heart that Liberty will continue to mean something here; I had to vote with what I truly feel and that is no. Not in the current form the Republic's in. Too many things need to change; and too few people are awake and aware.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    I am almost scared to comment on this, or vote.
    I didn't read what the other members had to write about this...
    Frankly, it will take quite a bit of real change, and a change that is going to hurt. Its going to have to feel like your digging out a splinter in your nipple kinda hurt (dont ask questions about the splinter and nipple). Alot of "convenience" things will have to change. And there would have to be some out landish taxes, for a while, but that are guaranteed to be repealed after X date, No ifs and or buts, This would be money above and beyond. Budgets for fancy widgets for the police and fire departments will have to be slashed, school freebies will have to be slashed, Health care would have to be slashed for the poor, Spending on crap the citizens don't need would have to be slashed, etc.. and of course worthless government jobs agencys would have to be slashed. Infact. it would take a major restructuring, and cost billions to test all current gov workers and create real agencies that actually are benifital to the citizens not some hokey pokey crap.. Okay i look like a heart less bastard, but a heartless bastard is going to have to lead.. if saving the republic is what the people want.. Wouldn't be popular because more than 50 percent of the voting population get back more than they pay in taxes.. Okay I will go craw in my hole.. Unfortunately i would never get elected president..

Last edited:
    Top Bottom