• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I will say. It could easily be misinterpreted as a noose. But come on, they work in these garages every single day. They had to walk by that rope hundreds of times. Why is it an issue now suddenly

They needed the headlines and the spotlight to boost a dying series. Seems they got it thanks to all this racial :bs:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Don't buy into the BLM bull:poop:. Don't even give them the narrative.

Anyone that has ever dealt with cordage enough to learn more than the overhand and granny knot knows how to tie the versatile "noose knot." One of the better aspects of the knot is that it uses the cordage to build on itself a solid four layer secure pull handle. Duh...?

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    They needed the headlines and the spotlight to boost a dying series. Seems they got it thanks to all this racial :bs:
    Yep. They can prolong their death, but their new “fans” will be gone the second the nfl starts back up, and the long time fans will be long gone. They was already having sponsor problems, Lowe’s saw the downfall coming and wouldn’t sponsor a 7 time champion. That should tell you something, when a guy wins 7 championships with your name on his car, and you pull out of the sport, you know it’s dying.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep. They can prolong their death, but their new “fans” will be gone the second the nfl starts back up, and the long time fans will be long gone. They was already having sponsor problems, Lowe’s saw the downfall coming and wouldn’t sponsor a 7 time champion. That should tell you something, when a guy wins 7 championships with your name on his car, and you pull out of the sport, you know it’s dying.

In truth the big money from sponsors is what killed it.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    In truth the big money from sponsors is what killed it.
    You’re exactly right. That’s why in a way I’m glad this is all happening. Let the sponsors leave when the fans stop watching, and hopefully it will collapse and someone else can take it over or start a new series. That new series needs to get back to what racing really is. Teams have to have sponsors, I understand that, but there has to be some way to keep them from controlling the sport. How to do that I don’t know, but drivers have no personality anymore. They’ve turned them into puppets, who can’t speak their mind without fear of a sponsor dropping them or nascar fining them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You’re exactly right. That’s why in a way I’m glad this is all happening. Let the sponsors leave when the fans stop watching, and hopefully it will collapse and someone else can take it over or start a new series. That new series needs to get back to what racing really is. Teams have to have sponsors, I understand that, but there has to be some way to keep them from controlling the sport. How to do that I don’t know, but drivers have no personality anymore. They’ve turned them into puppets, who can’t speak their mind without fear of a sponsor dropping them or nascar fining them.

There was a day when men found a way to get to the track. Sponsors were on the car but nowhere near what they pay today. The huge shops and slick haulers be damned. Lets get back to racing with out all the strings and manipulations attached.

But alas I am dreaming.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    There was a day when men found a way to get to the track. Sponsors were on the car but nowhere near what they pay today. The huge shops and slick haulers be damned. Lets get back to racing with out all the strings and manipulations attached.

But alas I am dreaming.

I would love to see a racing series where guys are pulling their own cars to the track with a truck full of their buddies to work on the car. Open trailer with a tire rack, a local business sponsoring their car, and climbing thru the window with grease on their face from turning wrenches. That’s what nascar is missing. It’s a bunch of spoiled kids that’s never turned a wrench.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    When I was a kid (mid '60's) my dad raced trotting ponies. Pay your entry fee and if you won you got a trophy. Then they went to entry fee and percentage payback. Dad said then, "this will kill this fun". I couldn't understand because for a couple o years man were the races full. I finally realized, they were full of cheaters. Guys that would fight if they lost, abused ponies trying to get that last little bit out of them, to tall of ponies made sore so the hunkered down and made the height limit, etc. Yep a few years and the track closed, now it is gone, wouldn't even know there was a track there. Money is surely the root of all evil.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    When I was a kid (mid '60's) my dad raced trotting ponies. Pay your entry fee and if you won you got a trophy. Then they went to entry fee and percentage payback. Dad said then, "this will kill this fun". I couldn't understand because for a couple o years man were the races full. I finally realized, they were full of cheaters. Guys that would fight if they lost, abused ponies trying to get that last little bit out of them, to tall of ponies made sore so the hunkered down and made the height limit, etc. Yep a few years and the track closed, now it is gone, wouldn't even know there was a track there. Money is surely the root of all evil.

Ive never been a fan of horse racing. Not that I don’t like it, I’ve just never watched a race. I could probably see myself watching a race if i came across it on tv, I’d watch kids race big wheels if it were on. And you’re right, money is killing every form of racing. Even the local tracks we go to usually has the same group of guys running top 5 unless something happens to them. Hard to compete with a guy that has deep pockets. That’s why dad got out of it. Work in the garage all week long to go get beat by a guy that pulls his car to a shop on Sunday and picks it up on Friday ready to race.

I still love it tho. Racing isn’t a regular sport. I’ve seen people with a half track lead on white flag blow a tire and not finish. Hell I remember the 500 when the leader hit the wall out of 4 on the last lap. Great sport, **** poor sanctioning bodies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I was 1st aware of anything racing I had an uncle that raced hill climbs and drag raced. We are talking late 50's early 60's when I became aware of what he did.
    We lived outside the back gates of the speedway so yeah I was very aware of that but to watch my uncle and his buddys work there buts off all week and load out to do battle for a trophy. Nothing more except bragging rights which he earned more often than not. He ran insanely hot rodded Harley's on frames they made in the garage shop behind his house. There was 4 guys that ran together both drags and climbs. They became wizards at fuel mixing when I was in my teens. The engine failures were catastrophic and sometimes broke things outside the engines like legs etc but they never faltered. Still racing for trophys.

That is what racing is supposed to be. I get the payout thing and when we ran our cars and placed in the money we never refused the check. Try keeping fresh shoes on one of these.......
    PCF9zsE.jpg

And fuel and oil and parts and pieces. But we did it for the love of the sport. Thats Gary Bettenhausen in the saddle. Me on the right in the yellow shirt. The Hoosier dome invitational. We ran it every year we had that car. But we did it out of our passion to just be there. That's what's missing. Not at the grass roots but in the big shows.
    Our last racing endeavor was a 2 car drag race team. We spent a hell of a lot more than we won but you could see the look on the guys that were there for the money and pushed to win it. Even at the sportsman level. Not saying we did not want to win because keeping rear shoes on 2 cars and fuel and oil and travel and rooms and entry fee's and on and on and on.......But we loved it.
    Scatter an engine at a Friday night test and tune on one of the cars (Yeah it has happened) so you run the other car all weekend and get home Sunday night. Unload the gear and go inside to shower and die.
    Monday you are home from work and the car is rolled out of the trailer and the engine is out in about 2 hours. On the stand an autopsied by 10:00 PM. Lists are made. Money's are moved around and parts are ordered on Tuesday. It takes about 2 weeks depending on how bad you hurt it maybe 3 but its back in the car and you are making laps in the area in a full blown drag car breaking in the engine. No issues its back in the trailer and gear up for the weekend.

All done from the heart and personal finances. We had some fuel sponsors for a few big shows but it was mainly all us. All the time.

That's what's missing. The passion.

Ray Skillman was on the midget at the H. Dome.

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I would love to see a racing series where guys are pulling their own cars to the track with a truck full of their buddies to work on the car. Open trailer with a tire rack, a local business sponsoring their car, and climbing thru the window with grease on their face from turning wrenches. That’s what nascar is missing. It’s a bunch of spoiled kids that’s never turned a wrench.

Damn, that sounds like going to sprint car racing with my dad. We used to ride from our shop in Monrovia to IRP on the open trailer taking turns sitting in dad’s sprint car. Oh, what memories!

and for y’all who don’t know, my dad was Gary Bettenhausen. Thanks for the pic, churchmouse.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Damn, that sounds like going to sprint car racing with my dad. We used to ride from our shop in Monroe via to IRP on the open trailer taking turns sitting in dad’s sprint car. Oh, what memories!

No one will ever do these things again. Not in this current lawsuit happy environment.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Here’s that sprint car now, fully restored and still in the family at Autobahn Country Club in Joliet Illinois. The last major project dad did before he passed in 2014.

How the hell anyone could love a stock car after seeing a machine like this I simply will never understand.

Attachments

• 24F9F716-F41D-462B-AFA1-B6A522E93C02.jpeg
      24F9F716-F41D-462B-AFA1-B6A522E93C02.jpeg
      64.7 KB · Views: 22

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Here’s that sprint car now, fully restored and still in the family at Autobahn Country Club in Joliet Illinois. The last major project dad did before he passed in 2014.

How the hell anyone could love a stock car after seeing a machine like this I simply will never understand.

How many drivers could actually get up on the wheel in that car and make it dance.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    How many drivers could actually get up on the wheel in that car and make it dance.

I know of one, he raised me and my brother... and the dirt ace Bubby Jones called it the best handling sprint car he’d ever driven. Not like today where you can order everything from a catalog. We whittled on every bracket on that frame and even the way all the pumps were driven and mounted was custom. If something broke and you didn’t have a spare it went on the trailer, you couldn’t borrow anything from someone else. But it was stupid fast. Absolutely trounced the field on the Phoenix mile in the 1983 Copper World Classic with a handful of hotlaps and back to the motel for margaritas on practice day. Not a wrench turned before qualifying, on pole and gone when the green rag hit the breeze and home again on the open flatbed. Those were the days.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

Lol, see I grew up pulling a late model to the track with dad, so they have the sentimental love that you have for sprint cars. I love sprint cars, hell I love anything with an engine, but my heart belongs to dirt late models and modifieds lol.

But you and CM’s stories are so fun to read. Growing up in Indiana and being around tracks my whole life your name is very common. So it’s fun to read the memories everyone has about them times and remember how awesome real racing really is. People that only watch nascar or f1 will never know how awesome of a sport it truly is without all the rules and corporations running it. I miss it.

Love remembering being a kid hanging in the garage while dad was trying to figure out what he could do to get a smidge more speed somewhere.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Lol, see I grew up pulling a late model to the track with dad, so they have the sentimental love that you have for sprint cars. I love sprint cars, hell I love anything with an engine, but my heart belongs to dirt late models and modifieds lol.

But you and CM’s stories are so fun to read. Growing up in Indiana and being around tracks my whole life your name is very common. So it’s fun to read the memories everyone has about them times and remember how awesome real racing really is. People that only watch nascar or f1 will never know how awesome of a sport it truly is without all the rules and corporations running it. I miss it.

Love remembering being a kid hanging in the garage while dad was trying to figure out what he could do to get a smidge more speed somewhere.

The brainstorming we used to do around any of our projects was epic. We called it Budweiser engineering because it took a real brain session and some adult beverages to figure out how to make this......fit there......with the equipment we had and the tooling/materials on hand or what ever we could borrow are trade into.
    And we always made it work. And it was usually fast. Or fast enough anyway. All the lessons learned racing got passed along to our personal street pieces. Especially the bikes.

Race day......just hanging in the pits waiting to go hot. The fellow center with the beard is also in the pic with the midget. We logged many many hours in the pro series together.
    B5Ytre2.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom