• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Glad you like your chosen vehicle, the rest of us will continue to enjoy our dino powered vehicles.

I don't think we'll be seeing electric Cat D600's, electric semi tractors and many other heavy types of industrial equipment anytime soon.
    I doubt we'll see widespread electric personal watercraft anytime soon either and besides, water + electricity + lithium is a nasty, dangerous, explosive combination.

There are already many problems for emergency crews to handle electric vehicle accidents. It can take many hours for batteries to stop burning before the accidents can be cleaned up and there are currently no methods to stop that from happening, you can't squirt water at a lithium fire it only makes it burn more vigorously.

We will likely never see EV planes, the space requirements and weight of enough batteries to fly with any significant payload unless there happens to be a battery density technology several magnitudes of order greater than we currently have now is developed, which is unlikey in any of our lifetimes.

My 430 HP Corvette gets near 30mpg and that's fine for me even if gas gets double the cost it is now.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Glad you like your chosen vehicle, the rest of us will continue to enjoy our dino powered vehicles.

I don't think we'll be seeing electric Cat D600's, electric semi tractors and many other heavy types of industrial equipment anytime soon.
    I doubt we'll see widespread electric personal watercraft anytime soon either and besides, water + electricity + lithium is a nasty, dangerous, explosive combination.

There are already many problems for emergency crews to handle electric vehicle accidents. It can take many hours for batteries to stop burning before the accidents can be cleaned up and there are currently no methods to stop that from happening, you can't squirt water at a lithium fire it only makes it burn more vigorously.

We will likely never see EV planes, the space requirements and weight of enough batteries to fly with any significant payload unless there happens to be a battery density technology several magnitudes of order greater than we currently have now is developed, which is unlikey in any of our lifetimes.

My 430 HP Corvette gets near 30mpg and that's fine for me even if gas gets double the cost it is now.
    But what about feelings???

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Have you heard that Corvette is pushing towards a Hybrid and then an extension cord only system in the next few years.
    Like going all front wheel drive it saved the manf millions in assembly/parts production. I see the same Bravo Sierra in electric over fossil.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Have you heard that Corvette is pushing towards a Hybrid and then an extension cord only system in the next few years.
    Like going all front wheel drive it saved the manf millions in assembly/parts production. I see the same Bravo Sierra in electric over fossil.
    Yeah, that's why I got this one when I did. Mine is a manual which has also been dropped (f'n computer controlled, paddle shitfed POS only in the new ones). RIP to one of the most iconic marques ever. GM is shooting their foot on this one for sure.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Tying a couple of our points together. Actually it might be fun to see a second Indy 500 each year run on a car with a single battery. The rules would be super simple, fit in the box, use X size tire, and have usual safety equipment. Otherwise run what you brung...

Anyone grow up hearing some people use brung rather than brought? LOL

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yeah, that's why I got this one when I did. Mine is a manual which has also been dropped (f'n computer controlled, paddle shitfed POS only in the new ones). RIP to one of the most iconic marques ever. GM is shooting their foot on this one for sure.
    GM is doing what the uniparty in government wants, because they bail out the executives when they fail and now own them...

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis

Tesla semi might have something to say about that. The only problem with putting it into production right now is battery production constraints. Hence why it’s coming after the cyber truck.
    Yes gasoline is super dense energy wise but long term it’s not great for the environment and it’s a finite resource. Do gas cars still have a place? Yes without a doubt. Does every single car owner need a gas burner? No. Many families could get one electric and one gas burner and have zero constraints in the next 10 years. https://www.google.com/amp/s/insideevs.com/news/485965/fresh-tesla-semi-sneak-peak-videos/amp/

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Tying a couple of our points together. Actually it might be fun to see a second Indy 500 each year run on a car with a single battery. The rules would be super simple, fit in the box, use X size tire, and have usual safety equipment. Otherwise run what you brung...

Anyone grow up hearing some people use brung rather than brought? LOL
    They have been doing it for a few years in formula E. Some of the early years were the best racing I’ve seen in a long time. Each team and manufacturer builds their own gearbox/motor/ brake controllers if I remember right. Like nascar in the good ol days

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    They have been doing it for a few years in formula E. Some of the early years were the best racing I’ve seen in a long time. Each team and manufacturer builds their own gearbox/motor/ brake controllers if I remember right. Like nascar in the good ol days

Just my thoughts and opinions on racing.

We used to attend the Thunder boat races on the Ohio. Madison Regatta.
    Allison and Rolls Royce power that made a real mans heart flutter at full song.

Then came the Allied van lines Turbine powered boat. They stepped up from the Merlin when it was obvious the Miss Budweiser was the mark of the piston powered boats in class. It was "Kind of cool" to watch the 1st year it ran. But just kind of cool no way near really cool. Here came the thunder and the woosh woosh of the Turbine.

Next year there were several boats with the Turbine power. The Miss Bud stayed with the griffon engines but if you got close you could see the power adders in the hull. Blue bottles all nice and neat. When she would clear the corner the momentary stack smoke was an indicter the pilot was on the button. The thunder was less. The turbines took over the next year. That was it for us. No thunder......not a thunder boat race. The Evansville Regatta was so named. Thunder on the Ohio. Not sure it is still named such or if they even have it these days. My point here is that without the high winding sounds of a fossil fuel burning fire breather you guys can have it. The sound runs in lock step with the big show. Electric car racing is like an NFL game that they are piping in the crowd noise. What ta yawn.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Wow, a whopping 250 mile range. And I don't know a trucker that wants to wait that long to charge, they barley want to take the time to sleep much less wait for a charge.
    True. Lets compare the numbers again next year.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Wow, a whopping 250 mile range. And I don't know a trucker that wants to wait that long to charge, they barley want to take the time to sleep much less wait for a charge.
    This is where the Tesla charging tech comes in. A Tesla v3 supercharger will charge 250 miles in minutes not hours.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Central planning the power grid, along with central planning the power that vehicles can use, will all end in failure.

All central planning in the past has been an abject failure and so to will be central planning in the future.

The error in believing that centrally planned anything is better is that if ignores the distributed knowledge possessed by the masses.

A small group of central planners will never be able to make complex decisions as well millions of self-interested humans. The outcomes of central planning will always be worse, will cost more, and will impoverish people.

Yet here we are again.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    This is where the Tesla charging tech comes in. A Tesla v3 supercharger will charge 250 miles in minutes not hours.

I’ll believe it when I see it.

That new eCascadia takes more than 90 minutes to charge and that’s assuming one doesn’t have to wait on the other trucks charging.

There’s no way our current electric grid can keep up with it on any mass scale.

The main point is, we are being forced into technologies that do not yet feaseably exist yet. Technical innovation cannot be forced, it comes in it 's own time. R&D takes alot of time and $$ an we're not there yet. Not for probably decades.

How long has nuclear fusion been only 50 years away? Almost 100 years now.

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Solar baby!

ISedPEP.jpg

Bright and sunny future!

Just not for this last week...
    F9kVUXA.jpg

Just taken a few minutes ago today... Just look at all the clean power it's not producing!

Power for home, industry and the future!!

10 days and the field looks the same...
    100% 0 clean energy collected!

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    If the internet existed in 1903, I have no doubt that there would have been "Wow, a whole 12 seconds" posts about the Wright brothers.
    Nobody was forcing anyone to build and buy planes then either. It took a long time to evolve to the point the average citizen could buy a ticket to fly.

Top Bottom