• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Charging your car from your solar hybrid system and laughing at all the gas guzzlers who are dependent on refineries who depend on the grid?
    Solar hybrid system? Dude, we aren't anywhere near that.

Now if you're talking about putting solar panels on your home's roof, and charging your Tesla in your garage from the solar power, yeah, I know a guy who does that now. But it's a daily driver and he doesn't take it on long trips. He has a big ass Suburban that gets maybe 15 mpg for that.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When Republicans are in power the military industrial complex gets richer. When Democrats are in power the green industrial complex gets richer. Both cronies. Different industries.
    Do you think when (and I think it's more likely "when" than "if") we get into another hot war, that the military industrial complex won't benefit?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Speaking of electric airplanes:

I mean. I think electric airplanes are a cool idea if it could ever work. But today? Sweden can kiss my ass. I'll fly if I ***damn well want to fly.

As the environmental impact of planes takes center stage, many passengers are becoming reluctant to fly. In Sweden, it’s known as flygskam, or flying shame. Frequent fliers are getting called out for their activities

:rolleyes:

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Some winters ago,a all electric Honda Insight would stop at gas station to get covfefe with his frosted up windows,he would climb out in his winter cloths and ice scrapper. Uh Uh

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Some were talking hydroelectric. In 2019,90 dams including some hydroelectrics were removed in 26 states. More are on the chopping block. It is all for the salmon and mussels.
    Hydro electric in the Pacific Northwest has destroyed countless millions of ton of potential salmon fisheries. The Hoover dam while a marvelous engineering feat destroyed the ecosystem of the Colorado river basin. Aldo leupold’s “a sand county almanac” recounts a lush vibrant river not the small trickle and desert that it is now.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Cause solar panels work so well in a snow storm.
    Well, a common setup is to have solar panels and a battery to store the energy above what you're using. So in the winter time, you get a lot less output from them because the days are shorter and the angle of the sun is a lot lower. And then if you live in a region like Indana, you often get snow covering the panels. So you have to keep it clean so it charges the batteries enough not to have to use the grid.

I have a friend who has solar panels. Lives in KY. The Ohio Valley is not a great place to have solar panels. After he got his I thought about it enough to do a little research. I found a site where you can put in your zip code and it gave a letter grade from A to F on how effective solar is in your region. We're like between a C and a D. So not all that great. Not enough sunny days throughout the year. I didn't research any further.

Now, if I moved back to Missippi when I retire, that's about a B+. That's good enough to make it worth thinking about. Almost never snows. A little steeper angle of the sun. More sunny days. I wouldn't mind telling the power company to **** off.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Some years ago,the Solar Impulse 2 airplane circumnavigated the earth. It was proven it can be done. It only costed 170 million dollars to do it.....dream on.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Solar hybrid system? Dude, we aren't anywhere near that.

Now if you're talking about putting solar panels on your home's roof, and charging your Tesla in your garage from the solar power, yeah, I know a guy who does that now. But it's a daily driver and he doesn't take it on long trips. He has a big ass Suburban that gets maybe 15 mpg for that.

Seen plenty of folks roadtrip teslas, and it doesn't seem like a significantly larger waste of time than a gasoline car. The car will automatically plot your trip to make sure you stay near rapid charging infrastructure, if you want.

Not to mention the mileage the cars are starting to achieve.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Seen plenty of folks roadtrip teslas, and it doesn't seem like a significantly larger waste of time than a gasoline car. The car will automatically plot your trip to make sure you stay near rapid charging infrastructure, if you want.

Not to mention the mileage the cars are starting to achieve.
    Sure. You can do road trips with Tesla's. A guy I know who has one drove it to Gulf Shores, about 600 miles. He said it did fine, but they had to plan to make the best use of time while charging. Tesla's route planner figures out where you need to charge along the way so that's a problem they easily solved with technology. He said the problem was that, unlike a gasoline car where you can fill up a gas tank, grab some snacks, and be back on the road in 10-15 minutes, you're not back on the road for over an hour, maybe up to 90 minutes. Tesla's V3 super charging was an improvement but it promised more than it actually delivered.

That's a problem that I think will soon be solved. Tesla announced V4 supercharging a few months back. That's supposed to be 350KW compared to V3's 250KW. Realistically they're probably over-promising that too. Not to be pessimistic though, I'm only pessimistic about what's promised vs what's actually delivered. In absolute terms, V3 was an improvement and V4 will be an improvement. And I don't think we're all that far from charging times that are at least competitive with gassing up. It's then a matter of rolling it out to make charging almost as convenient as filling up.

I think if I were a gas station owner I'd be trying to figure out where I could put charging stations so I could sell both gas and electric.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Some years ago,the Solar Impulse 2 airplane circumnavigated the earth. It was proven it can be done. It only costed 170 million dollars to do it.....dream on.
    Yeah, but that aircraft appears as if a good strong fart by a passenger would cause it structural issues

If you want to use electricity for flight, then I would say go dissociation of water into hydrogen and oxygen for fuel and SSTO to make most any long haul flight have essentially the same fuel burn and a maximum duration of about 90 minutes

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    For those talking of electric airplanes Elon just did another podcast and towards the last hour they breached the subject. Elon said people are working on it, that it was possible and he hoped they would solve the problem before he got to it.

Kinda like he said we would have electric cars everywhere by 2020 in 2006

Top Bottom