Black man shot in Kenosha, riots starting all over again...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The basic rule of gun safety is to never handle a firearm when intoxicated. You know that.

Apparently Wisconsin statutes make it a punishable Class A misdemeanor.

Well, I’m safe, I don’t drink alcohol at all. I have to agree though, that I’ve never seen a working crystal ball that predicts when one will need his/her gun.

Will a prosecutor who is anti-gun go out of his way to attempt to show irresponsibility on the part of the defender? Without a doubt. My father used to say “it can be very expensive to be right.”

That said, is it your argument that a person loses his right to defend his life and safety, or those of his family, because he has been drinking alcohol-containing beverages?

Blessings,
    Bill

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    No. Of course the right of self defense is basic.

But, do it drunk and there could be serious legal consequences. Did the drunkenness contribute to an escalating conflict that might have been avoided if sober? Was the drunk mentally impaired in his assessment of the situation and saw a threat where a sober individual might not? Do the facts support an actual threat of great bodily harm to the man? There are so many possibilities that could come about that might mitigate the "right" to self defense because of intoxication. A prosecutor's field day, if you will.

In this circumstance, there was no immediate threat of entry by the protesters afaik. The man had been arrested on the prior day for disorderly conduct and a threat with a deadly weapon. Within 24 hours, he is apparently drunk again with another deadly weapon in hand. Was it appropriate to separate this man from another deadly weapon?

I think it's reasonable.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The basic rule of gun safety is to never handle a firearm when intoxicated. You know that.

Never be intoxicated even at home. You never know when you might need to protect yourself from angry racist democrats.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I find it curious. Any reasonable person who viewed the cop's video of the shoot knows it was a good shoot. Yet, some here defend a drunk gun owner with an apparent series of "problems" to the nth degree.

Stupid exists on both sides of the argument. I attempt to never align with morons.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I find it curious. Any reasonable person who viewed the cop's video of the shoot knows it was a good shoot. Yet, some here defend a drunk gun owner with an apparent series of "problems" to the nth degree.

Stupid exists on both sides of the argument. I attempt to never align with morons.
    More than one thing can be true at the same time. People have a right to defend themselves. One should have a reasonable expectation that one’s own home should be safe enough to be intoxicated, without needing a firearm to defend oneself. But if such trouble should arise, being intoxicated should not prohibit self protection. But, being intoxicated will impede judgement. So if you bring firearms into the context you better be right, and when you’re intoxicated there’s a good chance you’ll judge wrongly.

I look at it this way. If it would be reasonable for a sober person to fear for his life and bring the firearm into the event, it’s reasonable even if drunk. He never pointed it at anyone in any of the videos I saw. So what about you? Let’s say you’re completely sober and an angry mob is outside harassing you. I’d call the police. And I’d have a firearm at the ready. I would not position myself in the window though. That’s ****ing creepy as hell.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Really that case goes to show you that you should own a bullhorn. You get a an angry crowd like that you have to heckle them.

Start talking about the way they’re dressed. Insult their manhood. Say a bunch of “yo mama” jokes.

Ooh. Here’s a good one. Correct their grammar when they chant stuff.

Maybe start reciting the preamble to the constitution. Sing the star spangled banner off key.

If you want to put them to sleep, start reading Atlas Shrugged over the bullhorn.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Really that case goes to show you that you should own a bullhorn. You get a an angry crowd like that you have to heckle them.

Start talking about the way they’re dressed. Insult their manhood. Say a bunch of “yo mama” jokes.

Ooh. Here’s a good one. Correct their grammar when they chant stuff.

Maybe start reciting the preamble to the constitution. Sing the star spangled banner off key.

If you want to put them to sleep, start reading Atlas Shrugged over the bullhorn.

I can pull out my Fender Amp and give them a rendition of Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    At least I didn't reference plugging in the amp to the wall after first checking with your multimeter that the voltage/frequency were in the proper range!

Some people understood the context already, Foz. But, I'll make sure I mansplain it for you next time.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I'm half Jewish blood (Christian by faith) but I wonder if there would be a big stink if was was killed.. rhetorical question.. no need to answer, I already know there wouldnt.. it would probably be celebrated as just another dead jew

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Which is why I leave mine at home. There's always at least a modicum of alcohol (and cheese curds) in my bloodstream when I'm in WI. :40oz:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Well, I’m safe, I don’t drink alcohol at all. I have to agree though, that I’ve never seen a working crystal ball that predicts when one will need his/her gun.

Will a prosecutor who is anti-gun go out of his way to attempt to show irresponsibility on the part of the defender? Without a doubt. My father used to say “it can be very expensive to be right.”

That said, is it your argument that a person loses his right to defend his life and safety, or those of his family, because he has been drinking alcohol-containing beverages?

Blessings,
    Bill

Your father was a wise man.:yesway:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

It reeks of selective prosecution. The moron with the bullhorn in the video was alluding to the fact that the mob was armed, which of course cannot be seen in the video clips I've seen because they are focused on the homeowner. One wonders if intimidation is breaking the law in WI

Also your laddlaw cite has this to say:

In addition to prohibited locations, possessing a weapon in various circumstances can lead to weapons charges. For example, a person carrying a firearm can be charged with endangering safety by use of a dangerous weapon when operating or carrying a firearm while he or she is under the influence of an intoxicant or has a detectable controlled substance in their blood.

Is leaf a controlled substance in WI? One wonder's how INGO would react (or progressives, for that matter) if he was charged due to being 'intoxicated' with Mary Jane

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Larsonboys78
    Top Bottom