• ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    I’m planning to restore an SBR to its pistol configuration. The ATF tells that removing the stock is all I have to do, and it can be sold as a pistol.
    Alternatively I hear that one should remove the engraved name and city from the receiver as well. Is there anyone with INGO who can help with this procedure?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Unlike Kirk, I am not a lawyer, but here is my understanding.

The ATF recommends removing it from the registry, but not required.

There are several variables.

IF it BEGAN life as a pistol, you can remove the stock and it becomes a pistol again. IF it BEGAN life as a rifle, you can put a 16”+ upper on it and it becomes a rifle again.

An individual could then buy and sell these as desired.

I am not sure how this works with a form 1 lower build, but it likely depends on how the lower was classified on the original 4473.

If the item is on a trust, it could be a little more complicated to sell, depending on how the trust is written and your role on the trust.

I see no reason why the engraving would need to be removed.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

The ATF recommends removing it from the registry, but not required.

There are several variables.

IF it BEGAN life as a pistol, you can remove the stock and it becomes a pistol again. IF it BEGAN life as a rifle, you can put a 16”+ upper on it and it becomes a rifle again.

An individual could then buy and sell these as desired.

I am not sure how this works with a form 1 lower build, but it likely depends on how the lower was classified on the original 4473.

If the item is on a trust, it could be a little more complicated to sell, depending on how the trust is written and your role on the trust.

I see no reason why the engraving would need to be removed.

To add a finer point to Chez's take, if the lower started as a bare lower, it can be whatever you want. Pistol or rifle.

I'm sure @Squirt239 could take care of removing the etch and refinishing. @AllenM as well.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    More than one lawyer in this thread.

Cob, you can take a Morgan County Speed Wrench to it or convert it to a pistol. Notify F Troop f the change of status, save copies of letter, re-do trust if you did one, don't ask me about the $200 refund.

Going to include this in my new CLE seminar. Thanks for idea. (Topic not covered enough)

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    A while back, I sbs'd a Vepr 12 shotgun.
    I had an approved form 1 on file.
    Before I cut the barrel, I changed my mind and chose NOT do it and notified the ATF to remove it from the data base as a sbs as I was not going to follow through with it.
    I got a letter ftom them that it was removed and no longer an considered an sbs.
    I did NOT get a refund of my $200.
    That's the only experience I have along those lines.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I went down this road once, years ago. Paper Form 1, SBR’d the rifle, and turned it back into a pistol to sell it. Called the ATF, and followed orders. Sent a letter to the ATF requesting it be removed and asked for a written response acknowledging it.

Years went by….. and I finally got the letter. I couldn’t believe how long it took, and I had totally forgotten about it by the time it was received. Ridiculous.

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I went down this road once, years ago. Paper Form 1, SBR’d the rifle, and turned it back into a pistol to sell it. Called the ATF, and followed orders. Sent a letter to the ATF requesting it be removed and asked for a written response acknowledging it.

Years went by….. and I finally got the letter. I couldn’t believe how long it took, and I had totally forgotten about it by the time it was received. Ridiculous.
    My return letter took about 2 months.

ktk120

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2024
    Columbus
    I have done this 3 times and never get a letter back but I have called an sometimes its removed within days. I had a buddy just re register one in fact.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    391   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I’m planning to restore an SBR to its pistol configuration. The ATF tells that removing the stock is all I have to do, and it can be sold as a pistol.
    Alternatively I hear that one should remove the engraved name and city from the receiver as well. Is there anyone with INGO who can help with this procedure?
    Technically and legally, removing the stock does bring the item back to a pistol status, assuming it's the lower receiver that's registered, and not the upper or sear pack. You do not need to remove the engraving as that becomes ancillary after removal and reverting back to the original condition. But to make it official:

The proper procedure for removing an item from the registry is to write a letter to the ATF stating the following:

Original Manufacturer
    Model Number
    Serial Number
    Caliber
    Status (SBR, SBS, MG, DD)
    Date of Manufacture (if you have it)

and state you want it removed from the NFA registry. You can send this letter to:

BATFE
    NFA Division
    244 Needy Road
    Martinsburg, WV 25405

Or you can email a PDF to nfafax@atf.gov.

If emailing, print a copy to keep for your records. If mailing, send it registered mail. Once that green ticket has been post marked, it's an official document and you're in the clear. You may get a reply in 2-5 months, or you may never, but you have proof that it's a legal delisting at that point.

Last edited:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    A while back, I sbs'd a Vepr 12 shotgun.
    I had an approved form 1 on file.
    Before I cut the barrel, I changed my mind and chose NOT do it and notified the ATF to remove it from the data base as a sbs as I was not going to follow through with it.
    I got a letter ftom them that it was removed and no longer an considered an sbs.
    I did NOT get a refund of my $200.
    That's the only experience I have along those lines.
    Did I see this thing at Copper?

Top Bottom