Not open for further replies.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Nothing to debunk yet, right now it's all wishful preliminary democrat projections.

Right! Since the 2019 numbers are not even official yet, it will be at least a year from now before there are any real numbers to talk about. There might be preliminary numbers tossed out there but it is getting so you can't trust a f****** thing anymore (except stuff on INGO, of course).

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    One interesting thing will be how many 2021 deaths 2020 "stole".

The quantum of proof appears to be a "credible claim." Once a "credible claim" of theft has been made, the burden shifts to the other side to prove there wasn't a theft.

Sorry, wrong thread.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm sure we'll see videos of bodies under tables.

GIF-OMG-shocked-spit-take-wow-GIF.gif

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Covid must be getting worse in my area. On my way into town this morning I saw two refrigerated trucks waiting in a vacant lot. One was disguised as a Miller Lite hauler and the other had Dewig Meats on the side. I was not fooled. Cancel Christmas, New Years and hide in your homes people! :ingo:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Covid must be getting worse in my area. On my way into town this morning I saw two refrigerated trucks waiting in a vacant lot. One was disguised as a Miller Lite hauler and the other had Dewig Meats on the side. I was not fooled. Cancel Christmas, New Years and hide in your homes people! :ingo:
    Yeah. Just heard 3 died from COVID-19 In the same immediate family last week. 4th died driving to the funeral.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I skipped a bunch of posts, so apologies if this was covered. Can someone explain to me how a mutation can be 70%/50%/xx% "more transmissible"?

Does that mean that it takes 50% less viral load to infect someone? Or that instead of 6 ft. away, we should be 12 ft. away? (Or is it 9 ft.?)

I understand the R-factor is probably where they're getting that calculation, but that signals how fast the virus is spreading overall. It doesn't speak to the changes in the virus itself.

To put it another way, there may be a correlation/causation problem. This mutated strain is being transmitted across the population at a higher rate (50% faster), but it may not actually be due to the mutation.

Last night on the news, they asked the in-house science-y guy about it and he basically gave the verbal equivalent of a shrug, along with something along the lines about how we need to do more research on it. Not helpful.

The way I understand it is there were a couple of mutations in the spike proteins that enhanced their ability to bind with human ACE2. I'm not sure if the 70% just is a quantification of this increased affinity relative to the previously dominant strain or if it is some sort of measure of the enhanced likelihood of an infection. They are unclear, and if the latter I would be curious how they derived such a result. I will see if I can find the source I was using

Edit:
    https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...om-sets-alarms-its-importance-remains-unclear
    Mutant coronavirus in the United Kingdom sets off alarms, but its importance remains unclear

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    All I know is that I've never seen so many of my friends who describe themselves as "conservative" complaining about not getting a bigger check from the government.

Since the government kinda got people into some of the predicaments they're in, I'm okay with helping out the people who lost their jobs or businesses because of shutdowns. Instead of giving everyone a check, just target people who need help.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Since the government kinda got people into some of the predicaments they're in, I'm okay with helping out the people who lost their jobs or businesses because of shutdowns. Instead of giving everyone a check, just target people who need help.

They are trying to do that with enhanced and extended unemployment benefits as well as small business aid and paycheck protection plans and otherwise just handing out money to favorite businesses.

I think it is beyond their abilities to do it very well though.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

It's really, really hard to target like that (i.e. you spend time and money on the bureaucracy). Obama's administration tried a more targeted approach and many economist agree now that the best course is just money out into the economy quickly.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom