Not open for further replies.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I shoot at Atterbury. I go just about every weekend during the warmer months since its close to home and is nice for load testing/development. I've gotten to know the range officers and staff. In comparison to the former management, and I'll use the term loosly, the new crew is a huge improvement. I didn't shell out the cash they did to operate the facility, so if they have rules to abide by while using the range, and I'm willing to pay to do so.... simply do what is asked or don't use the range. Seems simple and clear.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    I read the post, and I read it again, but I can't make sense with all the ,,,,,,,,,,,, and words I've never heard before, such as zins, my friend.

Please explain it for us shooters that are not as skilled as you, because we all haven't been shooting our entire lives or for countless years. :ingo:

dont your read American Rifleman??? hes made it in there every year for the past 7...

Brian Zins

Who is Brian Zins?

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    dont your read American Rifleman??? hes made it in there every year for the past 7...

Brian Zins

Who is Brian Zins?

Never heard of him...

I thought that you were implying that you could hit a silver dollar, one handed from 50 yards, time and time again...at least that's what I got from your reply to Kagnew. I now see that you can't and you are speaking of this Brian Zins fellow.

My thread interruption is over...carry on.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    I didn't shell out the cash they did to operate my facility

FIFY

its our range,,,theyre looking to make a profit off my facility...

and dont just talk in generalities,,,show how that rule makes sense and the traditional rule dont

everybody wants to duck that work and talk about everything but that

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    Never heard of him...

I thought that you were implying that you could hit a silver dollar, one handed from 50 yards, time and time again...at least that's what I got from your reply to Kagnew.

try reading the post next time so youll actually know whats being said

:noway:

never heard of zins??? real love of the sport you got...

:laugh:

lsitter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I went to Atterbury a week or so ago. Had a great time, price is definitely right. I like knowing that yahoos are not fiddling with their gear when I am downrange examining my shot groupings and how most of my bullets made it on my target (I think).

I have no idea who Brian Zims is nor do I care. I can't put 3 shots in a quarter size area at 7 yards with a pistol let alone at 50 yards. You can give me all day to aim and it ain't gonna happen. :dunno:

But I know this: I love shooting my handguns and my AR with the cheap scope. I do it for fun, I do it to spend time with my college age son :yesway:, I do it to spend time with my other friends that shoot. I do it because I enjoy it.

I wish I could fiddle with my gear when the range is cold, specifically, reload all of my magazines for the next hot range. But the rules say 'no', so I don't. There are more important things to get worked up over.

Flame all you want, I've said my piece (:twocents:). There are more important things to get worked up over.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Not everyone that goes to Atterbury are experienced shooters. There are a lot of novice and very young shooters that go to the range. If keeping everyone away from the benches keeps everyone safe, whats the issue? When they call for a cease fire, they ask for actions open and mags removed.... whats wrong with that? I've seen the range packed with two RO's working to verify everyone is safe.... it makes their job a little easier. They also tell everyone to get their targets, pasters and something to attach them with before moving away from the benches..... again... whats the issue?

Since you have the knowledge of how things should be done.... please share with the rest of us. Have you tried to convey the correct way to run a range to the staff at Atterbury? Wouldn't that be the thing to do?
    Again, I'm just asking...:dunno:

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    If keeping everyone away from the benches keeps everyone safe, whats the issue?

did you read the posts before responding??? evidently not... manners is knowing what the discussion is about before jumping in

When they call for a cease fire, they ask for actions open and mags removed.... whats wrong with that?

did you read the posts before responding??? evidently not... manners is knowing what the discussion is about before jumping in

They also tell everyone to get their targets, pasters and something to attach them with before moving away from the benches..... again... whats the issue?

when i shot there,,,they called the line cold,,,you put your guns down immediately,,,you backed away from the bench immediately,,,and you couldnt touch anything on the bench until the line went hot again

im tired of repeating myself

manners is knowing what the discussion is about before jumping in

Since you have the knowledge of how things should be done.... please share with the rest of us.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Guys guys guys, calm down a bit, the testosterone and ego-centrism in here is so thick we could all choke on it.

#1: BullsEye (2700) is an extreme accuracy competition that utilizes timed fire, sophisticated firearms and (relatively) long distance.

#2: BullsEye is merely one single discipline in the shooting sports. It is not the "end all, be all" of shooting, so please have more respect for fellow shooters, even if they prefer a different discipline than you.

#3: If you go to a range, especially a public range, and you don't like the rules then you should find somewhere else to shoot. Simple as that. If there are unsafe conditions, then those conditions should be reported to the management, that's what they are there for.

#4: I'm a bit miffed that MCFG is being portrayed as being lax in safety, this is not the case. It appears that several egos are clashing in here and getting in the way of the facts. Hell, it took two pages of arguing for everyone to realize that when talking about a "scope" half of you were thinking "weapon scope" and the other half were thinking "spotting scope".

Just calm down a bit and let cooler heads prevail. The discussion will go a whole lot smoother this way. :twocents: :mods: :ingo:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    OK

I went to Atterbury a week or so ago. Had a great time, price is definitely right. I like knowing that yahoos are not fiddling with their gear when I am downrange examining my shot groupings and how most of my bullets made it on my target (I think).

I have no idea who Brian Zims is nor do I care. I can't put 3 shots in a quarter size area at 7 yards with a pistol let alone at 50 yards. You can give me all day to aim and it ain't gonna happen. :dunno:

But I know this: I love shooting my handguns and my AR with the cheap scope. I do it for fun, I do it to spend time with my college age son :yesway:, I do it to spend time with my other friends that shoot. I do it because I enjoy it.

I wish I could fiddle with my gear when the range is cold, specifically, reload all of my magazines for the next hot range. But the rules say 'no', so I don't. There are more important things to get worked up over.

Flame all you want, I've said my piece (:twocents:). There are more important things to get worked up over.

I'm sure somebody will jump me about this but.........Good post! It's too bad that some geniuses here will take you to task for simply saying your piece. It's almost as if they own the thread and those who never heard of some guy (I've never heard of him, either) aren't allowed to post a reply. Apparently, you are required to go back and read all the inane blather which ends up in some of these threads before you can have or state an opinion. The thread is about the Atterbury Range. Your post is about Atterbury Range. Good enough!

Personally, I don't give a hoot what many guys on here have to say but I won't make a practice of jumping their butts about it! Some guys make a career of it! Another :twocents:.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    you probly thought I was gonna eat his children didnt you? :laugh:

Patriot Pride was standing right next to me when this happened. I think he saw my face change into different shades of red before I finally told the guy to "quit finger ****ing my ****!" there was no reason for it other than the fact he wanted to touch my rifle. i liked atterbury when it was just a dirt backstop and a wooden shack there.

I had given it about 5 more seconds of the RO being an idiot before I had to stop you from pulling his head off, punting it downrange, then taking a **** down his throat.

RO---"Sorry man, I was just checking to see if it was unloaded (as the RO keeps racking the slide and flipping the gun from side to side)" :n00b::n00b::n00b::n00b::n00b: Cold range, don't touch the bench my ass.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    :twocents:

I've been to Atterbury seveal times and I agree it's a nice place.:yesway: I have to say one RO I do not care for. His favorite phrase is "LISTEN UP"! Several times he has handled my firearm even though it was an H&R, broke open with the EMPTY breech in FULL view, pointing down range. One time he removed a flag from the breech of my HP carbine. I though that was the whole idea of a flag.:dunno: Run the range as you see fit but keep your damn hands off my firearms.:xmad:

A buddy was sighting in his BRAND NEW 10/22. It was sitting in plain view with the bolt locked back and the magazine removed. He picked it up by DRAGGING it across the bench to look into the breech, and then halfway dropped it back onto the bench all the while putting a nice scratch in the BRAND NEW STOCK. MY buddy was LIVID!

Again run the range as you see fit, but keep your DAMN hands off peoples firearms. If you want to see something, ASK THE OWNER!

Rant over.:rolleyes:

Sounds like the same idiot that Ranger and I dealt with. I agree---I don't care of you're Christ himself---you do NOT touch my firearm without asking my permission. It's as disrespectful as it gets, ESPECIALLY when you're damaging the firearm in the process.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    try reading the post next time so youll actually know whats being said

:noway:

never heard of zins??? real love of the sport you got...

:laugh:

Your rant about Zins and shooting 50 yard targets one handed still doesn't make any sense if you were replying to Kagnew...which you were. Kagnew is trying to point out to you that not everyone is a national champion shooter like this Zins fellow and that most shooters are amateurs. Hell, I would argue that 99.999% of the shooters out at Atterbury on any given day couldn't shoot to the level of Zins. So why even bring Zins into the discussion? You want Atterbury to cater to 0.0001% of the shooting population?

The overwhelmingly majority of posters in this thread (actually you might be the only person who doesn't agree) think the rules as posted at Atterbury are for the benefit of all shooters, seem logical given the shooting base who frequent Atterbury, and abide by them.

If Atterbury is as busy as others suggest and if they have multiple pistol shooting lanes, it seems they've made the decision to have the RO control the firing line and they want shooters to stand behind a yellow line while the range is cold. Seems to me this eases the work of the RO because he can quickly look down the line and see that everyone is behind the yellow line and not at the shooting table fiddling with their firearm.

Plus, why all the hate, man? Thumbs down...telling me to read, for what, the third time now? Suggesting I have no love for the sport.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Your rant about Zins and shooting 50 yard targets one handed still doesn't make any sense if you were replying to Kagnew...which you were. Kagnew is trying to point out to you that not everyone is a national champion shooter like this Zins fellow and that most shooters are amateurs. Hell, I would argue that 99.999% of the shooters out at Atterbury on any given day couldn't shoot to the level of Zins. So why even bring Zins into the discussion? You want Atterbury to cater to 0.0001% of the shooting population?

The overwhelmingly majority of posters in this thread (actually you might be the only person who doesn't agree) think the rules as posted at Atterbury are for the benefit of all shooters, seem logical given the shooting base who frequent Atterbury, and abide by them.

If Atterbury is as busy as others suggest and if they have multiple pistol shooting lanes, it seems they've made the decision to have the RO control the firing line and they want shooters to stand behind a yellow line while the range is cold. Seems to me this eases the work of the RO because he can quickly look down the line and see that everyone is behind the yellow line and not at the shooting table fiddling with their firearm.

Plus, why all the hate, man? Thumbs down...telling me to read, for what, the third time now? Suggesting I have no love for the sport.

I totally agree with you. On a busy day, you may have 40 lanes being used. On top of that, you may have some lanes, with 2-3 people on them. I have seen 60 people on the range at one time. Even with two RO's, you can not watch everyone. However, if everyone is behind the yellow line. They can check to make sure the line is clear. So, that it's safe for shooters to go down range. They even announce two minutes before cease fire. That way you can grab targets, a stapler, etc and be ready. Also they tell you to make your weapon safe. If people do not do so, then it's there own fault. If they do not know how to make their weapon safe. Learn to do so before you go, or ask someone. Buzz, the head RO will help you in any way he can. Also, I always see him ask someone if a said firearm is theirs before he touches it. The old crew where a bunch of jerks. However, since the new crew took over. I have not seen one single issue, and I go there a lot.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Machete: Not everyone shoots competition. Just because they do not know the name of a single competitor, does not mean they do not enjoy the sport of shooting. There are a lot of different shooting sports. One is not better then another, it's a matter of personal preference. Shooting sports do help develop marksmanship, so does practicing at the range. I know people who do not shoot competition, yet are great marksman. Also, many shooters do not have high dollar customized rifles or pistols. I buy pistols and rifles that are designed for combat and self defense. When faced with a SD situation, the point is to stop the threat. Not make a pretty little hole in a piece of paper. Also, in a self defense situation. There are no rules, time limits, or other parameters. If you stay static, then you are more likely to be injured, or worse. You may have to shoot from behind cover, from an awkward position, etc. I'm all for learning new skills, however I do not look down on people, because they do not shoot the same way as I do. If I can make it to the competition on the 19th to watch, I'll be more than happy to see what's all about.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    really sonny??? i shoot with my eyes only...no optics... ive seen lots of guns in IRAQ and AFGHANISTAN with trijicons and eotechs and other optics... dont talk to me about doo-dads unless you show me every doodad is off those guns over there,,,

First sir, I never called you names I really don't appreceate being called sonny, not by you nor anyone else for that matter. I don't disrespect others like that so I expect the same. Yes I called you bro, however that was not a derogitive statement.
    Second I used sarcasim and I used your own picture of all the items that you use in your range box for shooting. You said adjust scope and lenses....

Yes I did read the whole thread and every post in it.

As for the weapons in Afghanistan and Iraq right now, you are 100% correct some weapon systems do have eotechs and ACOGS and even Aimpoints on them. Mine sir...Did not. I had an M2 .50 cal ( iron sites), m 249 saw dual mounted (iron sites) and an M16A2 with carry handle (iron sites) as my primary weapons.

So to get back on the actual topic of the thread...you feel that the range rule of not being allowed to mess with items, any items, on the range table is a stupid idea. Cool, your opinon, your First Amendment right that I have sworn to protect. I however feel that the rule is a valid and acceptable rule seeing that that 99.9% of everyone who uses the range uses said table to place the weapon on. If you allow people to stand at the bench to look through the spotting scope, or make adjustments to stuff you are asking for trouble.

Here let me give your this scenario;

You get the rule changed, you're happy as all get out! :rockwoot: Go to the range for some practice and you're doing your thing. The line is cold, you make your adjustments, you look through your spotting scope and you see that dang my 10 ring is gone! So you head down range to put a brand new fresh target up! Two lanes down Billy Jo Bob who just got a brand new weapon, who's never shot before is at the table doing the same thing you were. He then starts messing with his weapon and has a ND while you are down range.

You ok with that?

I'm not and here is why, as an RO how would you be able to watch every bench to ensure safety if everyone is allowed to be at the bench to make adjustments of any kind. You would not have any idea what was going on at those benches unless you had a qualified RO at every station on the line watching. You can not assume that everyone on the line is a safe and competent shooter as you are.

The rule is so that the RO's who are there have a very fast and easy way to check the line, keep it safe and keep all shooters who go down range safe.

If you still wish to disagree with this cool man, your opinon.

I will agree that we will never be able to agree on this and you are very welcome for that right, it's been my pleasure to serve this great nation and the freedoms we have. :patriot:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Lets see here....

I've read the entire thread and I'm still looking for an explanation. Maybe we simply need to ask Buzz who is a RO at Atterbury and a member here to chime in..............

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    Here let me give your this scenario;

You get the rule changed, you're happy as all get out! :rockwoot: Go to the range for some practice and you're doing your thing. The line is cold, you make your adjustments, you look through your spotting scope and you see that dang my 10 ring is gone! So you head down range to put a brand new fresh target up! Two lanes down Billy Jo Bob who just got a brand new weapon, who's never shot before is at the table doing the same thing you were. He then starts messing with his weapon and has a ND while you are down range.
    if gun owners dont trust gun owners around guns,,,how can we expect libs and non gunners to trust us around guns???

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom