• Status
    Not open for further replies.

JMThomas

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2011
    The Empire of New Albany
    Atheism IS a religion. Were you present at the beginning of the universe? Did you see how it was created/formed? No, right? Then you cannot say with any certainty that there is no god.

No one knows how it all began. Well, except atheists. They know ALL...without having decent evidence to back it up. The immortal words "Prove It" are their forward defense against anything that is strikingly similar to a Godly question or fact.

Considering Einstein's Theory of Relativity POINTS to a beginning (a beginning which was CREATED), he henceforth proved the existence of some creation, or "Big Bang" in layman's terms. HOWEVER, how many of you have seen an ice cream cone appear in front of you randomly? Not many, unless you are sitting under the balcony at a baseball game on kid's night (awful story). Nothing is created because it chooses to create itself. Creation points to a Creator, whether that be your God, Buddha, or Allah of choice. Even Sir Isaac Newton believed that the Universe was brought about by some sort of "Creator".

Basically, Atheism = The belief that there was nothing. Then the nothing magically exploded for no reason, creating everything. Then a bunch of everything magically rearranged itself for no reason whatsoever into self-replicating particles...which then turned into dinosaurs.

I have believed in a lot growing up, Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny (Rabbit that lays eggs of chocolate = Jesus resurrecting???), and I even believed that there was a monster under my bed that sneaked out at night and urinated on my sheets while I slept...but I don't think I would have EVER believed THAT^^.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Can't we all just get along and talk about guns? :draw:

Well, this is already a banned topic in the first place, though the mods seem to be having mercy on it for some reason. Besides, this is the break room...there was a thread on here not too long ago discussing a picture of a half-naked dude with sparkler nipples.

We're an odd bunch :):

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Lots of heated discussion in here yet, regardless of preference, there's nothing that has changed the fact that we've all been sentenced equally. Chill out!

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I am not being judgmental.... I could care less as religious beliefs play no part in my life. I am merely calling people out for acting like bigots.

So what you're saying is, you are judging them, AND you admit to being bigoted toward them. So I guess that makes you no better or worse than the rest of us then...right?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    No one knows how it all began. Well, except atheists. They know ALL...without having decent evidence to back it up. The immortal words "Prove It" are their forward defense against anything that is strikingly similar to a Godly question or fact.

Considering Einstein's Theory of Relativity POINTS to a beginning (a beginning which was CREATED), he henceforth proved the existence of some creation, or "Big Bang" in layman's terms. HOWEVER, how many of you have seen an ice cream cone appear in front of you randomly? Not many, unless you are sitting under the balcony at a baseball game on kid's night (awful story). Nothing is created because it chooses to create itself. Creation points to a Creator, whether that be your God, Buddha, or Allah of choice. Even Sir Isaac Newton believed that the Universe was brought about by some sort of "Creator".

Basically, Atheism = The belief that there was nothing. Then the nothing magically exploded for no reason, creating everything. Then a bunch of everything magically rearranged itself for no reason whatsoever into self-replicating particles...which then turned into dinosaurs.

I have believed in a lot growing up, Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny (Rabbit that lays eggs of chocolate = Jesus resurrecting???), and I even believed that there was a monster under my bed that sneaked out at night and urinated on my sheets while I slept...but I don't think I would have EVER believed THAT^^.
    Athiests don't "know" there was no God, only that there is no proof of one. By proof, I mean scientific. Just becuase we do not know for certain what created the universe, does not mean there is not a scientific explaination. If these things around us MUST have been created then what created the Creator? Let us all be above petty, childish posts that talk down to those that do not have the same beliefs...both sides are equally guilty of this.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    We "Dare to be different". ;)

That's fine, as long as we can be friends and family after

Well, this is already a banned topic in the first place, though the mods seem to be having mercy on it for some reason. Besides, this is the break room...there was a thread on here not too long ago discussing a picture of a half-naked dude with sparkler nipples.

We're an odd bunch :):

You don't say! I didn't read everything here, but I foresee this thread being closed soon

IUBrink

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    "The atheists are not pushing anything on you"

Really? What is the purpose of all those signs, billboards etc that say "there is no God" that atheists have been funding?

I'm talking about the situation in this thread. They aren't asking to replace the cross with the atheist symbol, they are asking you to be decent enough to place a cross and make it a christian monument.

"Every Christian in this thread would go on a rampage"

Really? You know how we ALL think eh? See, I believe in freedom OF religion, as did our Founders. If they want a Muslim symbol there too, more power to them. However, I would bet you would find many more Christians open to a Muslim symbol being put there, than you would Muslims willing to coexist with a Star of David.

Actually, yes. I promise you that you would **** a brick if atheists wanted to place an atheist symbol on the monument. Of course your response will be "nu uh", but we already know that.

"The atheists don't want the cross because not everyone was a Christian"

That's not why, and you know it. They are offended for themselves.
    Many who died that day WERE Christian though, why is it so wrong to honor THEM?

I am not offended by atheists, I wish I knew why they spend so much time being offended by me.

Understand that an atheist is many times, someone who was tired of having the religious beat down their door to tell them a mixed bag of stories that they didn't buy. There is more to it, but I'm keeping my replies short.

I'm an agnostic. I do not believe in god, but cannot say for certain that one does not exist.

You're an atheist, and no it is not a religion. It is lack of faith, lack of belief. Atheists don't have to prove that a god doesn't exist, yet the religious have to prove that one does. It is easily understood.

Atheism is indeed a religion.

Nope.avi

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    You're an atheist, and no it is not a religion. It is lack of faith, lack of belief. Atheists don't have to prove that a god doesn't exist, yet the religious have to prove that one does. It is easily understood.

Are you just making up your own definitions?

These words already have meanings.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011

What, no comment on the validity of my argument based upon the dictionary I quoted, the reasoning I gave to determine that atheism falls under that definition? Can't very well have a discussion if all I get is a "you're wrong" without a rebuttal of the proofs I stated.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby. Seriously, to contend that it's a religion is either a deliberate attempt to confuse the gullible by butchering the language or just plain ignorance. Where's the dogma? The ritual? The rites? The pantheon? It meets none of the criteria of a religion.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby. Seriously, to contend that it's a religion is either a deliberate attempt to confuse the gullible by butchering the language or just plain ignorance. Where's the dogma? The ritual? The rites? The pantheon? It meets none of the criteria of a religion.

I think it became one when they started proselytizing. Remember the bus signs, billboards, etc.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I think it became one when they started proselytizing. Remember the bus signs, billboards, etc.
    That's called advertising and many people do it. Saying that there is no imaginary man in the sky is hardly proselytising. Not like they asked anyone to go to atheist church.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    I'm an agnostic. I do not believe in god, but cannot say for certain that one does not exist.

Atheism IS a religion. Were you present at the beginning of the universe? Did you see how it was created/formed? No, right? Then you cannot say with any certainty that there is no god. You BELIEVE there is no god. Therefore, what you claim as absence of faith, is actually faith, since you have no way of being assured you are correct. I know, next comes the "you can't prove a negative" argument. You are making an assertion that you have no facts with which to back up. You are convinced of it in fact. That's the definition of faith. That's religion.

Called it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    That's called advertising and many people do it. Saying that there is no imaginary man in the sky is hardly proselytising. Not like they asked anyone to go to atheist church.

I think the last definition would cover that advertising (I think the first one does as well, as they are attempting to convert me from my religion or opinion.). So they are proselytizing.

pros·e·lyt·ize
    verb /ˈpräsələˌtīz/ 
    proselytised, past participle; proselytised, past tense; proselytises, 3rd person singular present; proselytising, present participle; proselytized, past participle; proselytized, past tense; proselytizes, 3rd person singular present; proselytizing, present participle

Convert or attempt to convert (someone) from one religion, belief, or opinion to another
    - the program did have a tremendous evangelical effect, proselytizing many
    - proselytizing for converts
    - no amount of proselytizing was going to change their minds

Advocate or promote (a belief or course of action)
    - Davis wanted to share his concept and proselytize his ideas

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    automotivator6.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom