AR15 Performance Mods? Biggest Bang for the Buck?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Another fan of the ALG trigger. For a home defense/plinking gun it is fine...
    But I do love the Gisselle when your ready to upgrade later, I have those on my target rifles...
    Agreed. I've had Geissele 2 stage triggers which I really like for other applications and I'm currently running a CMC single stage flat face 4.5# duty/patrol trigger. Can't beat the ALG ACT trigger in the biggest bang for the buck category for an HD CQB application for the money.

Last edited:

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    1. Trigger- ALG ACT is the best $65 you'll spend. Free shipping from AIM.

2. Sights/optic if for distance-target shooting.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I didn't think a buddy's M&P trigger was too bad out of the box. The more you train, the less that fancy trigger makes a difference.

I like my new Raptor Noveske CH even better than my BCM Gunfighter II Med.

You might want to check for proper staking on the rifle: latch plate, gas key.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    As far as parts are concerned...

BCM ambi charging handle (I hate the raptor)

phase 5 bolt release

GOOD optic

Geissle trigger

light weight free floated forend that uses a larger barrel nut than factory.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    What Kirk said, except I'd start by building a gun if you are going to make many changes. However, Quite frankly, for a CQB or any type of combat gun, I personally would not upgrade the trigger. You won't even notice a lighter trigger in a pressure situation, and the accuracy it brings would really just show up on the range or at long range. There is a reason combat guns have heavier triggers. I'd certainly prefer the guys around me (behind me) to have heavier combat triggers instead of lighter precision setups. Sometime check out a Youtube video of Jerry Miculek shooting a Tavor with a 10 pound trigger, or shooting 6 targets with a revolver in about a second. Heavy triggers don't hinder him a bit. (After watching him, imagine being the poor sap that ever tries to break into that guy's house!)

I agree with Kirk that sights would be most important. Try different ones to find what you prefer. I like Eotech's reticle for quick acquisition, (I hunted hogs with it) but I like the light weight and simple controls of the Trijicon MRO. I've tried a bunch, and those two work best for me. Find what you like, because confidence is important. (I've gone fully to the MRO after returning my Eotech EXPS2 due to their temperature related POI shift. Part of me regrets that, though, because the reticle was sooo good, and I kept it zeroed seasonally and never experience the issue. But, I am loving the MRO, too.) I've also got an Aimpoint Pro I like very well, but it is heavier than the MRO and the field of view isn't nearly as good.

A good sling that works for you is also a great idea. Again, I'm with Kirk, as a cheapo $10 Blackhawk works well for me, from my AR's to my Tavor. I'm not a pro or an operator, so all this flipping side to side and slick sling work you see on Youtube is just complexity, to me. Too much to practice and remember. I defend my home with a pistol, anyway, so I'm not worried about quick transitions to left handed shots around corners. I've had a $90 Vickers sling, and it was great, but complicated. I prefer the cheapo.

Also in lock step with Kirk on 5 and 6. I've done AR's up all kinds of ways, and I've come to love my simplest one the most. No rails, no gizmos, just flip up rear sights, standard front sight post, and a good quality optic. Simple and light weight are hard to beat, especially for CQB. Even just a pound or two makes a huge difference, IMO.

Probably my favorite mod is a Hogue rubber grip. It makes the gun go from feeling cheap to feeling like it should.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    YOU are the best upgrade possible.
    Familiarize yourself with the rifle until all aspects are second nature and you don't have to think about anything other than the situation around you.

Only You can know what you need on your rifle for your needs.
    After that you will have wants only.
    Are YOU a combat weapon?
    A chain is only as strong as the weakest link.

Doublehelix

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Tons of great advice in this thread, with tons to think about. Many thanks to all who responded.

I am definitely looking into some training, and would love some advice here if anyone has anything to offer. I checked on the Paladin Combatives web site, but looks like nothing is scheduled for the remainder of this year on rifle training. I will check out the training forum on INGO and see what I can find.

A couple of upgrades that I see coming to the gun itself in my near future (based on this thread and others):
    -trigger
    -Free floating front grip (which also means a new front iron sight and gas block)
    -Pistol grip
    -sight (probably a red dot)

Once again, many, many thanks.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    If you have never taken a class then try an Appleseed or Revere's Riders class. The RR classes will probably be more available in your area.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    If you decide to ditch your current handguard and go with a free float one, remember there are companies that make ones with a cut out for your stock front sight. If you want a low profile gas block, you can chop down your current one with a dremmel. No need to spend more money. Plus, if your current one is pinned to the barrel from the factory, there's not much better attachment method.....in other words, swapping it out for something else is actually a downgrade.

Tons of great advice in this thread, with tons to think about. Many thanks to all who responded.

I am definitely looking into some training, and would love some advice here if anyone has anything to offer. I checked on the Paladin Combatives web site, but looks like nothing is scheduled for the remainder of this year on rifle training. I will check out the training forum on INGO and see what I can find.

A couple of upgrades that I see coming to the gun itself in my near future (based on this thread and others):
    -trigger
    -Free floating front grip (which also means a new front iron sight and gas block)
    -Pistol grip
    -sight (probably a red dot)

Once again, many, many thanks.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    YOU are the best upgrade possible.
    Familiarize yourself with the rifle until all aspects are second nature and you don't have to think about anything other than the situation around you.

Only You can know what you need on your rifle for your needs.
    After that you will have wants only.
    Are YOU a combat weapon?
    A chain is only as strong as the weakest link.

Outstanding advice. Max rep inbound.

Nacelle

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    Why buy a rifle and then replace a bunch of parts when you could have built it the way you wanted in the first place? Seems like a waste of money to me.
    [video]https://youtu.be/glk1qMbj7S0[/video]

Last edited:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    FWIW:
    1. Trigger upgrade. Yes you can shoot a thirty pound trigger accurately with enough training but why would you want to? I like a Timney single stage, JP, or an Elftmann. Geissele are great for competition but I've heard rumors of these failing in combat conditions at a higher than usual rate.

2. The JP buffer system and bolt carrier. Very smooth. Does it make a difference? Idk. Probably not. But it's so smooth.

3. Ambidextrous safety and charging handles. Being able to run the gun with both hands in the same way is really nice.

4. Adjustable Low profile gas block so that the free float handguard can run over top.

5. A round handguard. 90% of the rail is just extra weight. You need an BUIS, a light, and a sling mount. That takes a combined six inches of rail.

6. If you are doing anything that requires both speed and precision up close: red dot. Can you do it with irons or a scope, yeah. But not as well, and that's not what this thread is about right? Try going through a house with your non-dominant hand and a scope. You'll understand. A good red dot for will shoot minute Angle to 300 yards pretty handily. That's pretty decent on a fighting rifle.

7. A comfy grip and stock. Again, not at all necessary but cars don't really need shocks either do they? Ergo grip and Daniel defense are my favorites. Lots of nice stocks out there.

8. Sling that's easy to shorten and lengthen. My favorite is the Vickers Blue Force. Padded. I'm a thin guy. The slightly thicker strap feels a lot better after a 6 hours. Just sayin'

so of course Harry is correct, but we all know that the end goal of an AR is to customize it down to the detent pins so....
    Nacelle also makes a good point which is why I tend to build mine from parts these days. But if I was to buy one whole; it would probably be a JP since I would not have to change much-- if anything.

Again, FWIW. Good luck fighting the never ending fight of the upgrade ;)

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    My biggest performance upgrade was doing 5 yrs in the Corps. Learning how to shoot at 500 yds with irons and calling wind for round adjustments. Of course we weren't going to worlds top grouping, and not many people would like to do this upgrade.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My biggest performance upgrade was doing 5 yrs in the Corps. Learning how to shoot at 500 yds with irons and calling wind for round adjustments. Of course we weren't going to worlds top grouping, and not many people would like to do this upgrade.
    Agreed. Very effective upgrade and works well in applied situations.

FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne

This was my most valuable upgrade as well - just did mine in the Army/11B instead. Of course when I was in - they didn't have all these high-tech fancy upgrades. ;)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom