AR15 Performance Mods? Biggest Bang for the Buck?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Just purchased a new low-end AR15 (S&W M&P15 Sport II), and as I look at all of the possible updates and upgrades available, I am wondering where I might find the best bang for the buck with regard to *PERFORMANCE* enhancements. I am not so much looking for things to enhance the looks or ergonomics. While I understand the equation:

ergonomics = performance

I can figure out the best ergonomic upgrades without too much help, and these are more of a personal touch anyway. For example, my pistol grip has *got* to be upgraded, I realize that already. I also consider sights to fall under this category.

What I am looking for is just the raw performance of gun upgrades.

Barrel? Trigger? Bolt assembly? Bolt Carrier? Extracter?

I am primarily looking at CQB applications for personal home protection which probably wouldn't require a lot of mods (red dot?), but I also enjoy the art of some target skills at 100 yds or so max.

Thanks.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Shoot the barrel that's on it before "upgrading." Maybe it's a keeper, who knows. Upgrade the trigger and free float the barrel are the first two things I'd personally do. Then go from there as you figure out what you want/need. Stocks and grips are cheap and easily swapped if you don't like the stock stuff. Get some back up irons and a reliable red dot if you are wanting it for CQB.

Doublehelix

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield

Shoot the barrel that's on it before "upgrading." Maybe it's a keeper, who knows. Upgrade the trigger and free float the barrel are the first two things I'd personally do. Then go from there as you figure out what you want/need. Stocks and grips are cheap and easily swapped if you don't like the stock stuff. Get some back up irons and a reliable red dot if you are wanting it for CQB.

Thanks. Sounds like a trigger is good first move. The first gun I wanted to buy (CCMG MK4 RCE) had a Geissele 2-Stage trigger as standard. I am not sure I understand the 2-stage part, but what do I look for in a good AR15 trigger. I don't want it to be too light in a home defense situation and have accidental discharges when under stress.

I noticed today when shooting that I was having a hard time with the trigger getting good double taps. I know a lot of that is just inexperience with the weapon, but at the time I was wondering how much of that would be helped with a better trigger. The iron sights that are currently on the gun are actually not too badly aligned out of the box. I will probably work on sighting them later, but I was surprised how close they were. I hate to spend too much time with them if I am going to be replacing them anyway (the fixed front sight will have to go if I go with a free floating rail cover).

sdtech58

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Z'ville
    The ALG Combat trigger seems to be a good middle of the road trigger. Just put one in my LE6920. Much better than regular Mil-Spec, and can be had for less than a 1/3rd of what you'll pay for a Geissele or Timney. If I buy or build anymore AR's, this trigger is going in.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Gun=Trigger + Sights.

All else is spinach, well, except for the pistol grip. I need something that covers the gap or my finger gets a big owie.

What I need to perform:

1. Sights.
    2. Trigger.
    3. $3 gun show sling.
    4. Decent mags that work (we are drowning in them).
    5. I like a light gun. Clean of all the mall ninja crap.
    6. Fixed stock or one that locks.

That's about it for the gun. It's really about you. How many reps you have, how many hours instruction, inter alia.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The ALG Combat trigger seems to be a good middle of the road trigger. Just put one in my LE6920. Much better than regular Mil-Spec, and can be had for less than a 1/3rd of what you'll pay for a Geissele or Timney. If I buy or build anymore AR's, this trigger is going in.

I use this trigger to. Lots of solid triggers out there now.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A decent optic and training are about the only thing you can buy to make it perform better under the use criteria you set.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    An ALG ACT combat trigger is a solid choice for a good price to fit the OP's criteria. BCM uses this trigger in some of their factory built models.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Oh, I left off something--the charging handle.

I would rip that original charging handle and throw it over the berm. I'll make this rec, I don't like doing this, but this one works for me, the BCM "Gunfighter" (Medium) is what I like. Other good ones.

The AR-15 charging handle will **** you every chance it gets, throw the factory one in the trash after you run over it with your truck.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Biggest upgrade to an AR is the user. It would surprise you what that rifle in its current state would do at longer distances. At CQB distances it's more about how you move than what the rifle has on it.

So if you want to spend money, buy some ammo, take a carbine class, and practice. In the process, you'll figure out better for yourself what you want out of that rifle.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    An ALG ACT combat trigger is a solid choice for a good price to fit the OP's criteria. BCM uses this trigger in some of their factory built models.

Another fan of the ALG trigger. For a home defense/plinking gun it is fine...
    But I do love the Gisselle when your ready to upgrade later, I have those on my target rifles...

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    A decent optic and training are about the only thing you can buy to make it perform better under the use criteria you set.

Even then I would put the optic as a distant second. Plain iron sights can be very quick for the trained user.

And I like that charging handle Kirk recommended.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    As mentioned already the biggest available upgrade is the software. For me being a lefty, the first things I do are ambi safety and as Kirk said, a better charging handle. But REALLY, it IS more about you than the gun.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom