• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    i recommend the Spikes Crusader! It's built to run all day long and very lightweight and it sends terrorist to hell if they touch it or if you kill them with it!!! Talk about bang for the buck!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Normally, I think your posts and advice are great.....but strait LOL at this. Dude has $2k and you tell him to get a s&w sport. Just lulz.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-15-sport-ii
    The S&W M&P Sport 2 will do everything you want it to do, unless you shoot better than 1" groups at 100y you're not going to have a gun that holds you back, and it's ready to run out of the box.

Other than prestige of owning a name, there's nothing a $2k rifle is going to do better for you than the M&P.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    1st the initial idea.
    2nd formulating the basic plan
    3rd the search for parts/pieces
    4th indecision and the plan is changed.
    5th waiting on the mail.
    6th assembly. Putting the pieces together.
    7th 1 or more components fall short of expectations so back to the catalogs/on line.
    8th Waiting on the mail again.
    9th assembled and off to the range.
    10th final tune up.
    11th boredom.

1st repeat 1 through 11.

This is the process, for me anyway. Throw in a trip to get everything cera-coated and that adds another step.
    You left out the part where Trigger Time or myself buy it for half of what you have in it.........:cool:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A Chevy Cavalier would have got you from point A to B, but yet you bought a Camaro. Not just a Camaro, but a Camaro SS.
    Other than being 2 to 3 times the price, and half the gas mileage, what did you gain other than prestige?

Life's not always about being practical, sometimes it's about getting what we want, like a Camaro SS.

My goal was not efficient transportation, my goal was fun. A cavalier would not meet that goal, but the Camaro SS does. You changed the goals, which of course changes the answers. If my stated goal was "reliable efficient transportation", that'd be relevant. The OP's stated goal, likewise, is not prestige:

@websnyper the gun will be used for protection, hunting , training, some range time

If the OP's actual goal is prestige, no problem, buy prestige. However I responded to his STATED goals. To better attain those goals, he is better served by a cheaper rifle, leaving more budget for a decent optic, training, and practice. That will make him more able to defend himself than a $2k rifle and no budget left for those things.

Normally, I think your posts and advice are great.....but strait LOL at this. Dude has $2k and you tell him to get a s&w sport. Just lulz.

See above. If someone wants to learn to defend themselves, spending that much on hardware is ridiculous, particularly for a rookie just learning the ropes. If you were relying on someone to help protect your house, would you rather have the guy with a $2k rifle or the guy with a $600 rifle and $1400 of training and practice sessions?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    My goal was not efficient transportation, my goal was fun. A cavalier would not meet that goal, but the Camaro SS does. You changed the goals, which of course changes the answers. If my stated goal was "reliable efficient transportation", that'd be relevant. The OP's stated goal, likewise, is not prestige:

If the OP's actual goal is prestige, no problem, buy prestige. However I responded to his STATED goals. To better attain those goals, he is better served by a cheaper rifle, leaving more budget for a decent optic, training, and practice. That will make him more able to defend himself than a $2k rifle and no budget left for those things.

See above. If someone wants to learn to defend themselves, spending that much on hardware is ridiculous, particularly for a rookie just learning the ropes. If you were relying on someone to help protect your house, would you rather have the guy with a $2k rifle or the guy with a $600 rifle and $1400 of training and practice sessions?
    Stop being practical BBI. We're trying to make a gun snob out of a noob here. Screw all that training and stuff. We need to put all our dough into a high end rifle that we can't really afford.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    So let me ask since cheap "less expensive" seems to be on some people's minds, if less expensive guns are so good why upgrade? Why get the better trigger or barrel or any other part? You wouldn't put cheap ammo in ur guns and maybe it works or blows up in ur face, I was being told that there is a few "good quality" brands to look at and that's all I wanted, who doesn't want a good first gun? Does that mean I'm gonna buy a larue tactical rifle, no I'd love to but that's not in my budget or need now, so I will be looking at the brands people have mentioned and make the right choice or keep saving $$

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Burt, there's 3 parts of an ar that imo are worth upgrading. Trigger: no factory trigger is worth a damn imo. A $2000 rifle still has a mil spec 5.5lb+ trigger.
    Barrel: I've got sub moa accuracy from a $300 barrel and also a $75 barrel. The quality of steel, and the lifespan of the barrel is what $ gets you here. Even a cheap barrel will be good for 10k rounds or more.
    BCG: if this don't work, the gun don't work....easy to see why you upgrade this part.

Other than that and maybe a ff rail, spend your $ on ammo and optics. A expensive daniel defense or whatevs leaning in your corner isn't prestigious if you can't afford to shoot the damn thing.

Also....You'll need a safe. I don't see this listed in your budget. Living in an apartment means your Mr fixit guy has 24-7 access to your stuff. Get a safe too. One day you'll get a letter saying they will be coming in to change furnace filters. When dude comes in while you are at work and sees your dd in the corner, you'll wish you had a safe....and renters insurance.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    Well I agree to all of that, and a safe I didn't think of but maybe some kind of wall gun lock idk yet, but I'll be going to beach grove firearms to check out some guns

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    So let me ask since cheap "less expensive" seems to be on some people's minds, if less expensive guns are so good why upgrade? Why get the better trigger or barrel or any other part? You wouldn't put cheap ammo in ur guns and maybe it works or blows up in ur face, I was being told that there is a few "good quality" brands to look at and that's all I wanted, who doesn't want a good first gun? Does that mean I'm gonna buy a larue tactical rifle, no I'd love to but that's not in my budget or need now, so I will be looking at the brands people have mentioned and make the right choice or keep saving $$

Once again, there comes a point of diminishing returns. You can get excellent quality at ~$900 as I mentioned earlier in the thread. Once you start getting into the more "boutique" guns, your moving beyond the quality and money is gping into more secondary aspects of the rifle. Those aspects are: custom finishes, the prestige and exclusivity of a boutique brand, etc...

If quality/reliability is your focus and your total budget is $2,000... Keep in kind you are not proficient with the AR platform, you are simply overspending by buying anything more than the $1000 range. You can get a very high quality rifle for around $1k.

Also, most $2k rifles don't have irons, they come optics ready. Are you going to add irons because you have maxed your budget and can't afford to buy an optic?

I honestly chuckle at the thought of seeing a guy at the range with a semi-custom, tornado grey cerakote rifle trying to figure out how to operate it...

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom