• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    From what I know those are great guns but they are boutique rifles and the salesman is trying to make money off of you. Personally I don't like piston guns because there seems to be no standard and every company does their own thing. Go with bcm or Daniel defense If you want a top notch rifle and spend the rest on ammo mags and optics.
    Neither rifle he posted was a piston gun, they are both DI(direct impingement) rifles. That said, BCM, Colt, an Aimpoint, and a class, and there may be leftovers for ammo with a 2K budget?

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    Buy a Colt LE6920 and spend the rest on optic, ammo and training. Hoosier Armory has 6920's w/ Magpul furniture for $929. Colt owns the Technical Data Sheet on the mil-spec AR. Which means that every other manufacturer is compared to Colt materials/components. Colt IS the standard, plus its really can't beat a Colt for the price...

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    Deleted due to link issues. Google ar15 comparison chart and take a look at materials used by different manufacturers.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    So the FN,Harrington & Richison , AC Delco and all the other crap I was issued was colt spec? Nope
    Except for possibly the FN, NONE of your issued rifles was an M4. They MAY have the M4 parts that were added at an AMSA shop, but those (H&R, AC Delco, etc.) were Vietnam era M16A1 rifles. Again, they may have been rebarelled etc. etc. but they were not M4's originally. Colt still owns the TDP for the M4, and is probably still paid a royalty on every non-Colt M4 to roll off the bench. I believe the current M4 sourcing contract ends in 2020ish, so until the end of that contract, Colt is still the standard!

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    chart.jpg

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    Oh boy everyone seems to say colt is the one to get, so my question is what makes colt better then LWRC or Daniel defense, Bcm,

I wouldn't say Colt is "better" than Daniel Defense or LMT. But, it has a higher value. More for your money. The problem with high end stuff IMO, is that you reach a point of diminishing returns. Colt has the quality on the key components. So does DD and LMT. I'm sure the money for a DD/LMT compared to the Colt is a more refined package, such as a trick cerakote finish, mid-length gas system, better trigger, etc.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Neither rifle he posted was a piston gun, they are both DI(direct impingement) rifles. That said, BCM, Colt, an Aimpoint, and a class, and there may be leftovers for ammo with a 2K budget?

Oops my mistake. I didn't see the di at the end.

People recommend colt because they are a well established brand that held the government contract for the m16/m4 for the longest time. I personally don't like colt because for the longest time you paid a premium for their name and they had some qc issues before they lost the contract to fn. But that's another rant I don't want to get into. Their prices have come down and from what I hear they've fixed what ever qc problems they had.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You will be just as happy with the Springfield, Ruger, S&W, Rock River, or DPMS. Paying more for your first AR won't get you anything that you will perceive.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Get familiar with the platform then upgrade later once you know 100% what features matter to you. Put the extra money towards mags, ammo and training. Then save up for "better equipment" once YOU have mastered the gun and reached the maximum potential of the particular firearm.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    @sloughfoot and 308jake thanks for the input I have an idea of what I want like I said I don't want to buy a gun and in a month or two it sucks and I can't sell it, since I'm no gun God and can only do research I find brand names of high end builders but choosing a brand name is like the glock vs other guns debate lol, so I hope that bcm or Daniel defense or even Springfield armory will be a good gun I can say I didn't waste my money

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    @deo62 I was but when I asked about buying one the guy said it wasn't worth the money or quality, and this being my first gun I don't want to buy one and end up with a gun that isn't high quality and then I'm out a bunch of money,

Am I the only one that noticed burt has been a member for over 4 yrs with 600 + posts and this is his first gun ! Wonder whats taken so long to "pull the trigger". I hope you enjoy whatever rifle you decide to go with.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    @jspy5 well I have a low income so bills come first, I had a major accident that whipped out all my savings, a gf now xgf , and since there is a crap load of gun companies and this being my first rifle I didn't want to buy something built in the basement of Afghanistan, so yeah it's taken me a while to save up I didn't know there was a "buy date" set not trying to be rude but this purchase is a big one for me so I do research and ask from the people who have built and bought before I dive in, I hope I will enjoy the gun I get its been a long time in the making

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    @jspy5 well I have a low income so bills come first, I had a major accident that whipped out all my savings, a gf now xgf , and since there is a crap load of gun companies and this being my first rifle I didn't want to buy something built in the basement of Afghanistan, so yeah it's taken me a while to save up I didn't know there was a "buy date" set not trying to be rude but this purchase is a big one for me so I do research and ask from the people who have built and bought before I dive in, I hope I will enjoy the gun I get its been a long time in the making

I'll be heading to Point Blank Greenwood this morning if you want to shoot a Colt, Noveske, BCM, before you purchase. I'll even furnish you a couple of mags.
    Friggin' XGFs can be devastating. Red Head probably.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom