• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Copied from the BTC subreddit: US Senate Bill S.1241 to criminalize concealed ownership of Bitcoin

On November 28, 2017, the US Senate, Committee of the Judiciary held a hearing regarding bill S.1241: Modernizing AML Laws to Combat Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing. Despite little attention being given to digital currencies during the hearing, bill S.1241 itself would amend the definition of ‘financial institution’ in the United States Code to include digital currencies and digital exchanges. This could have alarming consequences for users of cryptocurrencies both in the US and abroad.
    Bill S.1241 would amend the definition of ‘financial institution,’ in Section 5312(a) of title 31, United States Code, to include “an issuer, redeemer, or cashier of prepaid access devices, digital currency, or any digital exchanger or tumbler of digital currency.” Currently, the definition of ‘financial institution’ includes banks, trust companies, credit unions, currency exchanges, etc.
    In her introduction, Mrs. Feinstein, Ranking Member of the Judiciary Committee, said (31:35), “The bill criminalizes intentionally concealing ownership or control of a bank account.” Although, during the hearing, no further clarifications were given as to the effects this would have on the cryptocurrency community, based on the amended definition of ‘financial institution’, it seems clear enough that the bill would “criminalize [those] intentionally concealing ownership or control of a [digital currency or digital exchange] account.” Wow. Let this sink in for a minute…
    The US senate is proposing a bill to make criminals out of anyone intentionally concealing ownership or control of a digital currency or digital exchange account. What’s more, according to the hearing’s prolonged discussion of US law enforcement’s handling of foreign banks and financial institutions, this bill is certain to have far-reaching effects on not only US citizens but the global community as a whole.
    If the above statement describes you, it is strongly recommended that you watch the hearing with this new definition of ‘financial institution’ in mind. If you’ve already watched the hearing, watch it again, but this time replace all mentions of ‘banks and financial institutions’ with ‘digital currencies and digital exchanges.’ The implications are really rather alarming.
    Interestingly enough, Ms. Kathryn Haun Rodriguez, a Coinbase Board of Directors Member, made absolutely no mention of digital currencies or digital exchanges in her testimony; nor was she asked any questions pertaining to these topics.
    Conversely, in her July 2017 written testimony to the US House of Representatives Committee on Financial Services and Subcommittee on Terrorism and Illicit Finance, she stated that some users of digital currencies use them “to conceal and move illicit proceeds because of the perception that virtual currency is untraceable.”
    Also in her prior written testimony, she stated that “the FinTech industry could be a very helpful partner to the government in addressing national security concerns;” that “investigators like digital footprints and that is exactly what digital currencies provide;” and that “of course, we can only follow the money to an individual or group if they used a Regulated exchange, one that follows basic AML/KYC laws.” Advertisement
    Contrary to the bill itself, the hearing was noticeably lacking in references to cryptocurrencies; although there was some limited mention of such.
    Ms. Klobuchar (2:16:58):
    “Is this transition we’re seeing from cash to digital going to make it easier or harder for law enforcement to track these money laundering cases, and you think these drug cartels are gonna start going cash free, and what do you do about it?” Mr. John A. Cassara (2:17:15):
    “Senator, I’m just glad I had my career when I did because I don’t know what I’d do trying to follow the money when it comes to digital currencies, it’s extremely, extremely challenging…I think if you look at the metrics, the metrics suggest today [that] digital currencies are a small fraction of the threat that we face. That’s not to say it’s gonna be the case in 5-10 years from now. We’re right at a crossroads, and it’s going to be very, very interesting to see what goes forward.” Due to the probable negative implications for the global cryptocurrency community, hopefully the interpretation of bill S.1241 in this article is proven incorrect; however, at this point, it seems fairly clear (at least to me, the author) that this is the intent behind the bill. If this is indeed the case, it will be the most recent attack on a growing list of State-backed attacks against the crypto-community.
    Furthermore, from the noticeable lack of references made to digital currencies during the hearing, it would appear this bill is yet another underhanded attempt of the US Government to further erode global freedoms and civil liberties, which markedly began with the introduction of the Patriot Act, shortly after the 9/11 attacks.
    As Tone Vayes mentioned, it would have been nice if Andreas Antonopoulos was there to impart some of the wisdom he shared with the Canadian Senate, on October 8, 2014.
    Tone Vayes’ summation*: “It’s bad…I think it’s gonna end in a very confrontational way between Bitcoin—even Bitcoin holders and users—and the US Government.”
    Jimmy Song’s summation*: “Yeah, the nice thing about laws is they take a long time…”
    Indeed it will be “very, very interesting to see what goes forward.” If this bill passes, how many of you future criminals out there are still set on hodling?
    *to be fair, neither had yet watched the entire hearing.
    Full Disclosure: Landon Mutch is a contributor to the Lightning Network, a layer-two Bitcoin protocol, also BTCManager is scamming it’s writers and not paying them :(.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Governments are the biggest threat by far to the development and future direction of cryptocurrencies and there is no close second. Bitcoin was quite literally born out of the financial crash of 2008 and mistrust in how government controls and handles the monetary system. It was designed to:

• Let you be your own bank- holding and transferring money without the services/fees/delays of the banking system.
    • Allow the 6 billion people that do not have access to modern banking services access to financial capital.
    • Work on a peer-to-peer basis, so that they are hard to block/censor, withholding financial services to groups/nations that a government disagrees with (ex: Obama's Operation Choke Point; excluding Iran from the Swift interbank transfer system).
    • Implement a transparent, verifiable, predictable monetary system, unlike Central Banks which love to "print money" and debase currencies, manipulate the financial industry with vague messages and have non-transparent dealings like the Fed sending billions of dollars (that Americans are on the hook for) to European banks in 2008.
    • Distributed trust mechanism- an independent, math-based trust mechanism that doesn't play favorites and help cronies.
    • Open source- allowing people to innovate new features/benefits without requesting permission from the central, controlling authority.
    The US already exercises control over cryptocurrencies via licensed money handlers- mostly exchanges where cryptos are exchanged for US Dollars. There is currently far less control over crypto to crypto trades as they do not involve legal tender.

As mentioned in GPIA7R's post- Andreas Antonopoulos is a fantastic educator and spokesman for cryptocurrencies. He talks range from deep technical info to how to use cryptos to high-level societal impact. He was invited to give a presentation to educate the Canadian Senate finance committee three years ago- long but worthwhile. You can see the full presentation here or follow his YouTube channel here.

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    yn1xxcecd9jz.gif

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    As mentioned in GPIA7R's post- Andreas Antonopoulos is a fantastic educator and spokesman for cryptocurrencies. He talks range from deep technical info to how to use cryptos to high-level societal impact. He was invited to give a presentation to educate the Canadian Senate finance committee three years ago- long but worthwhile. You can see the full presentation here or follow his YouTube channel here.

Just finished re-watching the Canadian presentation. Very little of what Andreas said would be different today. They were concentrating more on Bitcoin at the time, but a similar talk today would include other cryptos more. Very worthwhile.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I sold all of my LTC for BTC a while back. Even with the big LTC run up, my money is still worth more in the BTC. I do feel like LTC should run up even more, to about .0095 the price of BTC, at where it usually hovers. At the price right now, that would put it at $153.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Cashed out half of my 5 bitcoins. Now the others can ride out whatever happens and I still feel like a bandit.
    Now I have to figure out if I 8949 it and if I do should I cash out of a few stocks yet to offset the gains with losses. I have underarmor that has going down.

Rhe blockchain was running slow or my stuff was not important enough.

Hmmmm. It is a huge windfall at xmas. Now to do good with that. I am used to living rather on the edge. Still plan to do so.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Cashed out half of my 5 bitcoins. Now the others can ride out whatever happens and I still feel like a bandit.
    Now I have to figure out if I 8949 it and if I do should I cash out of a few stocks yet to offset the gains with losses. I have underarmor that has going down.

Rhe blockchain was running slow or my stuff was not important enough.

Hmmmm. It is a huge windfall at xmas. Now to do good with that. I am used to living rather on the edge. Still plan to do so.

I've for the time being, dropped out of stock, and am playing exclusively cryptos. With BTC, LTC, and ETH I Hodl, but have been making nice profit with IOTA and XRP. I'm not sure if you have yours already, but in January, I expect to be paid off in Bitcoin Cash that Coinbase was holding at the time of the fork. Bitcoin Gold, I'm not sure when Coinbase will release that, but that's more free money to play with.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I still have coin base holding mine also. So yes free money.

ETH seems to have to code in the blockchain and the ease to have that code used in ways that other coders can use easy.

37 k cashed out. Best score since EBAY iPo and my old PEZ dispenser collection.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I still have coin base holding mine also. So yes free money.

ETH seems to have to code in the blockchain and the ease to have that code used in ways that other coders can use easy.

37 k cashed out. Best score since EBAY iPo and my old PEZ dispenser collection.

I've pulled mine out long ago, and then put it in just before the fork, after the fork I pulled it back out. Anything stored on Coinbase during the fork will give you credit for the new coin, even if you have taken your funds out.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Hmmmm. All tied into a conspiracy theory.

The recent rise was enough to get me half out. Could be the best or worst decision ever.

The idea behind bitcoin was an international banking system outside of countries federal reserve style of manipulation. Bad thing is then it was open to manipulation of outside forces. I kept seeing South Korea money flow in so I was thinking it was a hedge to war time inflation or local currency value drops. Could just be running up the price before futures trading starts. They sell off the bitcoins in mass overloading the block chain on the exchanges causing the price to lower and the futures on bitcoin short to pay off. That is a huge risk on the scale of 1970's silver market manipulation. That did not work out well for those in Texas at the time.

I do know coindesk itself is self serving. Placing higher fees from one currency and often selling you bitcoin a based out of other exchanges that may be at lower bitcoin prices. Also using USD to other currency exchanges making maybe up to 1k in the changing of say South African currency into bitcoin in USD. So they make the transaction fee and the foreign exchange rate profits.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    There is a lot of smoke around Bitfinex exchange and the Tether crypto. It is being discussed in multiple channels. I'd recommend avoiding both entirely.

[video=youtube_share;kyQfGsYDcnw]http://youtu.be/kyQfGsYDcnw[/video]

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I do know coindesk itself is self serving. Placing higher fees from one currency and often selling you bitcoin a based out of other exchanges that may be at lower bitcoin prices. Also using USD to other currency exchanges making maybe up to 1k in the changing of say South African currency into bitcoin in USD. So they make the transaction fee and the foreign exchange rate profits.

There is a difference in pricing at some different exchanges. That is perfectly natural and requires no hanky panky. Different collections of buyers and sellers are at each site. If there are more buyers vs. sellers at site A and more sellers than buyers at site B, then they will have different current prices. You don't have multiple prices for stocks, because each stock exists on exactly one exchange- NASDAQ, NYSE, etc. Most cryptos are sold at multiple exchanges. Recently, Coinbase has become very popular for new people getting into the market. The large number of buyers has resulted in higher BTC prices. You are always free to shop around, find an exchange where the current price is lower and buy there.

If you see a difference in price, then that creates an opportunity for arbitrage. Simply, buy some BTC at the cheaper exchange, move it to the more expensive exchange and sell. You will be competing with others who notice the same gap, but you will make a profit on the difference and help to even out the availability of BTC at both exchanges and help to keep the prices closer. This same opportunity exists in other cryptos. Notice that the BTC/ETH exchange rate is cheaper at one exchange than another? You can arbitrage that gap as well. Arbitrage provides a free market service to keep prices relatively equal across markets.

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The way I got into crypto stuff was mainly knowing people who did not trust the government. Traded a leopold rifle scope for 2 bitcoins two ounces silver and 43 dollars. The guy set me up with a wallet showed me a little about it and have never seen him again. Bitcoin was worth 22 dollars each then. I think this was 2013.

Bought a few more later on and this was when I transfix out of the original wallet to a better wallet.

The rise use and fall of it was weird and having so little invested I just held.

The idea deal of buying and selling them like a day trader sounds nice. Still just glad I said sure bitcoin silver and cash sounds good. "What's a bitcoin?"

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The way I got into crypto stuff was mainly knowing people who did not trust the government. Traded a leopold rifle scope for 2 bitcoins two ounces silver and 43 dollars. The guy set me up with a wallet showed me a little about it and have never seen him again. Bitcoin was worth 22 dollars each then. I think this was 2013.

Bought a few more later on and this was when I transfix out of the original wallet to a better wallet.

The rise use and fall of it was weird and having so little invested I just held.

The idea deal of buying and selling them like a day trader sounds nice. Still just glad I said sure bitcoin silver and cash sounds good. "What's a bitcoin?"

Well, I just look for the upwards trend and buy in... let it go up, and sell. I've also started throwing about $100 in the ones that are worth less than a penny, gambling that if ONE hits, I'll hit it BIG. Better odds than the lottery, ha ha ha.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The way I got into crypto stuff was mainly knowing people who did not trust the government. Traded a leopold rifle scope for 2 bitcoins two ounces silver and 43 dollars...

I wanna trade with you; I have a chicken, a bushel of sweet potatoes and a nice compliment of custom made 9mm/.308 coated boolits...

Top Bottom