• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Second time you mentioned "high" THC content. Once again do you think the alcohol content matters in becoming an alcoholic? Will they become one sooner getting plastered on 18% ABV wine vs 4.6% ABV beer?
    Please consider that you don't know how they are achieving high THC content. It is done through selective breeding and manipulation of growing conditions. Is it not possible that other psychoactive chemicals may be amplified also by this process? It isn't like they are just concentrating the delta-9

Does high proof alcohol not contain many trace isomers of various chemical properties that affect some aspects of inebriation? I'm not saying higher proof alcohol makes you more likely to be an alcoholic, but the presence of additional chemicals may skew the overall process - so too with high THC content strains. It is not beyond the realm of possibility

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Is everybody cool with me eating a BLT for dinner? I mean, I know it's my cholesterol and it in no way affects anyone else on the board whether I eat one or not but I'm coming to realize that I should have the right to control what other people do so I just want to check to make sure I don't upset any ninnies. I mean, there is an actual level of intoxication (aka the devil's buzz) that may come along with ingesting something so delicious. I don't want to get in trouble for not asking permission.

Oh wait. I may end up with high cholesterol. I've seen studies that show bacon kills. If I end up with high cholesterol I may end up with heart disease. If I end up with heart disease I may need medical care and since I'll be forced into the government medical programs before too long that means my poor choice to eat bacon would result in spreading a near unbearable burden on society. I just couldn't live with myself, turkey bacon it is. God bless the USA, the "freest" nation in earth and all it's (pre-approved) freedom loving citizens.
    As long as you don't use 'the Devil's lettuce' for the 'L' in BLT ;)

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Please consider that you don't know how they are achieving high THC content. It is done through selective breeding and manipulation of growing conditions. Is it not possible that other psychoactive chemicals may be amplified also by this process? It isn't like they are just concentrating the delta-9

Does high proof alcohol not contain many trace isomers of various chemical properties that affect some aspects of inebriation? I'm not saying higher proof alcohol makes you more likely to be an alcoholic, but the presence of additional chemicals may skew the overall process - so too with high THC content strains. It is not beyond the realm of possibility
    Wait you say I don't know how they are achieving it, but then go on to tell me nothing I don't already know. And yes it's possible, but once again stronger cannabis people use less of, weaker they use more. It should even out in the end. Not to mention the higher level of THC the less of other substances. 5% THC means 95% other substances, 30% THC means 70% other substances.

High proof alcohol doesn't contain anything that lower proof alcohol does, in fact it's possible it contains less. Some may be lost through the distillation process. And again stronger=need to use a lower quantity, weaker=higher quantity to achieve the same results.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Wait you say I don't know how they are achieving it, but then go on to tell me nothing I don't already know. And yes it's possible, but once again stronger cannabis people use less of, weaker they use more. It should even out in the end. Not to mention the higher level of THC the less of other substances. 5% THC means 95% other substances, 30% THC means 70% other substances.

High proof alcohol doesn't contain anything that lower proof alcohol does, in fact it's possible it contains less. Some may be lost through the distillation process. And again stronger=need to use a lower quantity, weaker=higher quantity to achieve the same results.
    Non sequitur. The percentages of THC are relative to some baseline level, not a per volume or per weight indication of how much of the dime bag is actually THC

Do you truly think that 30% THC means that a 1 gram bud has 4.5 grains of THC (I would assume all delta-9?) by weight?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Okay, so what are we saying that higher THC causes? This back and forth about what the percent means doesn't sound all that germane to the topic. Are we saying that pot is more potent these days? I think that's pretty well established. Is it relevant that pot is more potent? Do people think that it actually contributes in a significant way to mass shooters?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Cannabis created mass shooters? Hell of a stretch if you ask me and even if by some insanely coincidental statistical anomaly it should prove plausible (which is ain't yet), so what?

Peanuts kill 150-200 people per year. They are the most common food allergy among children, 25% of people with a food allergy are allergic to peanuts. Peanuts are a leading cause of allergy-related death among children. Why do we allow them to be sold in the US? They clearly kill more people than cannabis. What if I have a grandchild with a peanut allergy? Don't I have the right to demand peanuts be banned because a minuscule percentage of the population has an issue with them?

Choose freedom or be a dick. It's simple

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Cannabis created mass shooters? Hell of a stretch if you ask me and even if by some insanely coincidental statistical anomaly it should prove plausible (which is ain't yet), so what?

Peanuts kill 150-200 people per year. They are the most common food allergy among children, 25% of people with a food allergy are allergic to peanuts. Peanuts are a leading cause of allergy-related death among children. Why do we allow them to be sold in the US? They clearly kill more people than cannabis. What if I have a grandchild with a peanut allergy? Don't I have the right to demand peanuts be banned because a minuscule percentage of the population has an issue with them?

Choose freedom or be a dick. It's simple
    I don't think cannabis created mass shooters. Could it be a factor? I think that's possible. The "so what? but peanuts" argument isn't all that convincing though. If cannabis were causing people to kill people you're going to lose that argument. But, I don't think it has a very big role even if it were a factor. So you probably won't need to dig up a better argument.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't think cannabis created mass shooters. Could it be a factor? I think that's possible. The "so what? but peanuts" argument isn't all that convincing though. If cannabis were causing people to kill people you're going to lose that argument. But, I don't think it has a very big role even if it were a factor. So you probably won't need to dig up a better argument.
    I'm more interested in demonstrating the ridiculousness of the prohibition on cannabis than I am in finding perfect comparisons.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm more interested in demonstrating the ridiculousness of the prohibition on cannabis than I am in finding perfect comparisons.
    I don't think casual cannabis use is any worse than drinking alcohol. I don't use either, so take that for what it's worth. I just have a more libertarian outlook on that sort of thing. If you want to use it, that's your business, as long as your recreational use isn't harming other people.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't think casual cannabis use is any worse than drinking alcohol. I don't use either, so take that for what it's worth. I just have a more libertarian outlook on that sort of thing. If you want to use it, that's your business, as long as your recreational use isn't harming other people.
    Seems a very reasonable position on the issue to me.

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Non sequitur. The percentages of THC are relative to some baseline level, not a per volume or per weight indication of how much of the dime bag is actually THC

Do you truly think that 30% THC means that a 1 gram bud has 4.5 grains of THC (I would assume all delta-9?) by weight?
    What is that baseline? I can state that under the farm bill it's in fact % by weight. Do you have something else?

(1) HEMP.—The term ‘hemp’ means the plant Cannabis sativa L. and any part of that plant, including the seeds thereof and all derivatives, extracts, cannabinoids, isomers, acids, salts, and salts of isomers, whether growing or not, with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    What is that baseline? I can state that under the farm bill it's in fact % by weight. Do you have something else?

report contains results of quarterly sampling as well as extremes and averages from 1995 until the present. This was the most recent report I could easily find archived. I am aware of them going to at least #146 delivered 1 April 2021 but cannot find the actual report although it is mentioned in an NIH report. The linked report will give you the gist, percentages are in % by weight

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

report contains results of quarterly sampling as well as extremes and averages from 1995 until the present. This was the most recent report I could easily find archived. I am aware of them going to at least #146 delivered 1 April 2021 but cannot find the actual report although it is mentioned in an NIH report. The linked report will give you the gist, percentages are in % by weight
    There is no baseline. The "thc" levels on flower tests are percentage of thcA vs the total weight of the sample.

Top Bottom