• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    A more definitive psychiatric take on Cannabis Use Disorders (CUD) and its relationship with psychoses is presented in a medical journal, "Psychiatric Times", dated March 11, 2021. This is last year, not 1941 or 1961 or 1971. Potency - the percentage of THC - in what is sold now, especially "legally" in those states that have legalized it, has increased substantially compared to the baggies of weed from the 1960's and 1970's. The combination of potency and frequency of use is very directly correlated with CUD and related psychoses onset and incidence rate. Bottom Line: CUD and its induced psychoses are very real and increasing in prevalence due to significantly increased THC potency when combined with increased frequency of use. These psychoses, when they present themselves, can lead to unpredictable and violent behavior.

https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/view/cannabis-cause-psychosis

This table is referenced in the article:
    View attachment 210733

John
    Unfortunately for some reason I can't get that site to open. But I have to call BS on the potency, yes I've seen what they claim to be the difference. But saying the potency is a driving force, is like saying drinking 18 ABV wine will cause a person to become an alcoholic faster or they are more likely to become one than if the person was drinking 4.5 ABV beer.
    Wait, so there may actually be a causal relationship?

I stand corrected.
    May. They don't know. There is a definite correlation between a certain expression of the ATK1 gene, heavy cannabis use, and schizophrenia. But they don't know why, they don't know if the use drives the schizophrenia or vise versa. Or possibly neither. I posted a few studies earlier in this thread I'll copy the post with them below.

Adolescent cannabis use is considered a risk factor schizophrenia. 50% of schizophrenics had adolescent use, but what percentage of kids between 10-19 use marijuana.

There is the psychosocial aspect also which is one of the possibilities of the "other" listed above. How your environment effects your psychology. Childhood sexual abuse is a risk factor in schizophrenia as well, a higher percentage of those that experienced abuse become schizophrenic compared to the general population. Growing up urban vs rural. Rural has a lower incidence. The reason I included that in the other listed above for the correlation is it could be something in their social environment that is driving both. Which of the groups do you think would be more likely to use, kids who have been sexually abuse or those that haven't? I'd put my money on those who have and use it to help cope aka self medicating.

I read a study that was in a "article" posted earlier that was interesting. It was about violence and schizophrenia. And rate of schizophrenic vs general pop, schizophrenics had a higher rate of committing violence and schizophrenics with substance abuse disorder had a much higher rate. What was really interesting was they separated out schizophrenics with unaffected full siblings who presumably grew up together in the same environment into their own group. The schizophrenics that used, their siblings also had a much higher rate of committing violence. Here is that study.

Yet another possibility is that they are self medicating the schizophrenia. And there are other possibilities as well.

All that to say, they don't know. :dunno:

Why? I can only answer for myself but I can be extremely truthful on the 4473 and I am. And never been denied.

There are multiple studies that link heavy adolescent use of MJ with psychosis/schizophrenia especially in those with a certain variation of the ATK1 gene. Which drives which is the question, and that question hasn't been answered definitively. And it's possible neither and both are caused by seperate things. I'll say I don't know for sure but do accept the possibility of either. But research has shown that MJ use by itself doesn't cause it. They have also found a link between psychosis and being a victim of child sexual abuse and also one with growing up urban vs rural. That one is interesting they have no idea if growing up urban is a causative factor or if rural is a preventative factor or possibly both.

I'll link a couple of studies if you would like to read them. Yes a couple are on a .gov but they aren't .gov funded or produced. They are basically a library/warehouse for med articles.

slight correction. Racism was the vehicle they used, a lot of it was driven by Dupont and Hearst and the govt. Dupont was hemp rope vs their new polymer nylon rope, Hearst had huge tracts of pulp wood that wasn't good for much except paper and was afraid of the competition, and the govt with legalization of alcohol after the 21st Am had bunches of g-men without much to do.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I did my share back in the day. Always had a good job, nice home, and paids all of my bills. I enjoyed the buzz. Never once did or see anyone burn one and then go beat hell out of the wife but, did see quite a few drinkers get totally violent after just a few drinks. I basically stopped when all the drug testing started, wasn't worth loosing my job over.

I partied with a large group of guys back in my late teens and early 20's. I saw all of their lives starting to slide down a dark hole, especially one guy who also got addicted to cocaine. I had stayed gainfully employed and mostly partied on the weekends, but when I started partying on work nights I knew it was time to reign it in. When I turned 25 I went the entire year without getting high or drinking any alcohol. After that I started socially drinking again for the occasional light buzz. I think I've actually gotten drunk only a handful of times since. Mostly it's a drink or two a couple nights a week to wind down, usually a beer or two, or the aforementioned margarita. I don't really have a desire to try pot again. Maybe some really low THC edibles if it ever becomes legal here, but that would be it. I know people that get them and use them as sleep aids that don't cause drowsiness the next day. That would be nice since I suffer from occasional insomnia.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A more definitive psychiatric take on Cannabis Use Disorders (CUD) and its relationship with psychoses is presented in a medical journal, "Psychiatric Times", dated March 11, 2021. This is last year, not 1941 or 1961 or 1971. Potency - the percentage of THC - in what is sold now, especially "legally" in those states that have legalized it, has increased substantially compared to the baggies of weed from the 1960's and 1970's. The combination of potency and frequency of use is very directly correlated with CUD and related psychoses onset and incidence rate. Bottom Line: CUD and its induced psychoses are very real and increasing in prevalence due to significantly increased THC potency when combined with increased frequency of use. These psychoses, when they present themselves, can lead to unpredictable and violent behavior.

https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/view/cannabis-cause-psychosis

This table is referenced in the article:
    View attachment 210733

John

Hmmm...

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    Correlation does not equal causation.....but it's definitely a disturbing trend. Maybe ultra high doses(think edibles)is uncovering or triggering a preexisting mental condition..... maybe the evil weed is making people crazy.

I'm feeling like high doses of marijuana can potentially trigger a schizophrenic break in someone predisposed to have one. The increase in people exposed to marijuana products via the changing of state laws has simply exposed more people who are predisposed to schizophrenia to marijuana, just my opinion. It's a huge leap from joint to mass shooter, a lot has to be wrong in between.

I definitely don't support marijuana or alcohol usage before the prefrontal cortex is fully formed(21-25)as it can have detrimental effects. That's pretty much universally accepted but not often practiced.

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Correlation does not equal causation.....but it's definitely a disturbing trend. Maybe ultra high doses(think edibles)is uncovering or triggering a preexisting mental condition..... maybe the evil weed is making people crazy.

I'm feeling like high doses of marijuana can potentially trigger a schizophrenic break in someone predisposed to have one. The increase in people exposed to marijuana products via the changing of state laws has simply exposed more people who are predisposed to schizophrenia to marijuana, just my opinion. It's a huge leap from joint to mass shooter, a lot has to be wrong in between.

I definitely don't support marijuana or alcohol usage before the prefrontal cortex is fully formed(21-25)as it can have detrimental effects. That's pretty much universally accepted but not often practiced.
    Edibles have been around for a long time. Just usually home made so less quality control and a better chance of getting a dose larger than you expected. Think pot brownies which have been around since the '60s. There has been a known correlation between cannabis and schizophrenia for a while. That is the first study I've seen that says causation is "plausible", one of the metastudies I linked in this thread mentioned the same thing. Everyone else is :dunno: . About 50% of schizophrenics per the one study have used cannabis, which is near the same % as the population at large... Heavy adolescent use seems to bring it out earlier.

About the only time I would support adolescent or younger use would be for legitimate medical treatment. There is a trademarked/copyrighted not quite sure what to call it, I guess varietal? It's called Charlotte's Web, if you've never heard of it you might want to look it up.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Edibles have been around for a long time. Just usually home made so less quality control and a better chance of getting a dose larger than you expected. Think pot brownies which have been around since the '60s. There has been a known correlation between cannabis and schizophrenia for a while. That is the first study I've seen that says causation is "plausible", one of the metastudies I linked in this thread mentioned the same thing. Everyone else is :dunno: . About 50% of schizophrenics per the one study have used cannabis, which is near the same % as the population at large... Heavy adolescent use seems to bring it out earlier.

About the only time I would support adolescent or younger use would be for legitimate medical treatment. There is a trademarked/copyrighted not quite sure what to call it, I guess varietal? It's called Charlotte's Web, if you've never heard of it you might want to look it up.
    Also check out Haley's Hope.
    In southpark they make a rescue inhaler that saves lives.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Also check out Haley's Hope.
    In southpark they make a rescue inhaler that saves lives.
    Yep, kids like that are why I say legit medical reasons for adolescents and younger. 200 seizures a day down to 1? I don't care if they are token down more than Willy, Snoop, Cheech and Chong combined. And yes I know they don't toke down. This one contains a good bit more THC (way more up to 5% vs .3%) than Charlotte's but I don't really give a rat's ***, if it works for them, it works.

Which is why the Feds need to remove it from schedule 1. They actually approved a CBD pill made by big pharma for ages down to 2, they approved marinol, and a couple of others. But it has no medical value? Please. Hell the feds own patents on it's medical use.

I'll be honest, if it was legalized state and fed I'd probably use on occasion. Same as I do with alcohol now. But it's stories like this one that really hit home.

ETA Don't know if he's a D or R but the Representative that she reached out to seems to care for his constituents.

Last edited:

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana

What I got from the article was a strong statistical correlation to psychoses among heavy, frequent users. Does every very frequent drinker become an alcoholic? No. However, heavy drinking induces alcoholism in those with a predilection to it. That's what I believe is operative here. Frequent use of high THC content Cannabis induces psychoses sooner and with stronger presentation in those with a predilection to it. There are other common factors in these incidents which include broken dysfunctional families. The "If --> Then" in these factors need not be bi-directional (If <--> Then). It's the 20/20 hindsight that reveals them. Not everyone from even a badly broken dysfunctional family becomes a killer, or even violent. I see the uncontrolled rage and other violent behaviors such as the young women who caused tens of thousands of dollars damage to a French fry restaurant in NYC while spectators danced and recorded it on their cell phones and wonder what leads to it - and the perpetrators believing it's acceptable.

John

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Not everyone from even a badly broken dysfunctional family becomes a killer, or even violent. I see the uncontrolled rage and other violent behaviors such as the young women who caused tens of thousands of dollars damage to a French fry restaurant in NYC while spectators danced and recorded it on their cell phones and wonder what leads to it - and the perpetrators believing it's acceptable.

John

I think that is an issue with that segment of society more so than pot use, but I suppose it could be a combination of things.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What I got from the article was a strong statistical correlation to psychoses among heavy, frequent users. Does every very frequent drinker become an alcoholic? No. However, heavy drinking induces alcoholism in those with a predilection to it. That's what I believe is operative here. Frequent use of high THC content Cannabis induces psychoses sooner and with stronger presentation in those with a predilection to it. There are other common factors in these incidents which include broken dysfunctional families. The "If --> Then" in these factors need not be bi-directional (If <--> Then). It's the 20/20 hindsight that reveals them. Not everyone from even a badly broken dysfunctional family becomes a killer, or even violent. I see the uncontrolled rage and other violent behaviors such as the young women who caused tens of thousands of dollars damage to a French fry restaurant in NYC while spectators danced and recorded it on their cell phones and wonder what leads to it - and the perpetrators believing it's acceptable.

John
    Then using that logic, we need to ban flu shots. Thousands die every year from complications. Sure it’s a small number, but think of the lives we would save by banning them!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

John
    Second time you mentioned "high" THC content. Once again do you think the alcohol content matters in becoming an alcoholic? Will they become one sooner getting plastered on 18% ABV wine vs 4.6% ABV beer?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Alcohol is alcohol. To an alcoholic, it matters not what form it comes in.
    Oh, most definitely. But what I was talking about is those with a genetic predisposition to become an alcoholic. For those with that predisposition does it matter if they are getting drunk on beer, wine, or hard alcohol on whether they become an alcoholic. There is correlation between heavy adolescent use and earlier onset of schizophrenia. Cause is unknown, there is a very wide range of possibilities. JAL is linking it in part at least to THC content. Which is why my question regarding ABV and onset of alcoholism in those with a genetic predisposition.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    For those with that predisposition does it matter if they are getting drunk on beer, wine, or hard alcohol on whether they become an alcoholic.
    No it doesn't. I think we're both on the same page here. Think of it (alcoholism) as an allergy. Some folks can use it in moderation, and with no adverse affects. An alcoholic will take that first sip, then the next, and the next, and the "allergy" kicks in and then there's no stopping without a major change in the individual.

I know the popular opinion is that it's just a matter of willpower, but there's more to it than that. Has to do with the wiring in the brain, and some folks just aren't wired exactly right. And I don't mean that in the same manner that I do when I talk about liberals. :):

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom