• actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Doesn't CPR cause a fractured sternum?

It doesn't explain the rest of the damage. I'm not trying to excuse the guy.
    But I thought CPR causes damage, even if done right.
    So I don't see listing that damage.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry

Yes, it does. Especially on infants.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    From the article:
    "Rowe met his bail Wednesday and is due in court next Monday, WPTA reported. Homicide charges have not been filed."

Two three problems with this. Obviously bail is NOT oppressive - there shouldn't have been any set at all. Secondly, no homicide charges filed. Um, it's pretty obvious that the child didn't injure himself. Thirdly and not mentioned, why is the egg donor (I refuse to call her a mother) not being charged with child endangerment at the very least, and possibly as an accomplice to murder?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

• Rib fractures are the most common complication of CPR.
    • Additionally, the chest bone, or sternum, also endures pressure and stress during chest compressions and can fracture as well.

Internal organs lie within the area pressured by chest compressions. As the chest is compressed during CPR, ribs and chest bones can break, puncturing the lungs and liver 2. Additionally, internal bruising of the heart and liver can occur

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

What if I crack a rib when I do CPR?

• Frequently ribs are broken with the pressure CPR places on the sternum. Some studies quote up to 30% of cardiac arrest victims have broken ribs as a result of CPR. This happens more frequently the older the victim since the cartilage is less compliant and the bones more easily crackable. But remember, it's better to have a cracked rib than be dead.

Will CPR always save a life?

• No, in fact, most instances of CPR for cardiac arrest are unsuccessful.

In one of my MANY CPR trainings, the instructor told us, in the movies you rarely hurt the person and that it usually saves them.
    Then he told us, it's the opposite. That you usually damage a rib, or sternum, and that CPR actually rarely works. But rarely is better than ZERO.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

Yeah I didn't want to jump to conclusions but the broken sternum and organ damage could be explained by a layperson going way too hard on unnecessary CPR on a small child. Perhaps he reacted to a real or perceived medical emergency and inadvertently killed the child attempting to resuscitate them.

But I don't have the actual evidence from the scene or from the autopsy, just this article.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yeah I didn't want to jump to conclusions but the broken sternum and organ damage could be explained by a layperson going way too hard on unnecessary CPR on a small child. Perhaps he reacted to a real or perceived medical emergency and inadvertently killed the child attempting to resuscitate them.

But I don't have the actual evidence from the scene or from the autopsy, just this article.

And, as we've seen in shootings and gun related stuff, reporters are notoriously BAD at reporting.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I see this as the result of improper CPR rather than abuse. Could be wrong, but everything injured is likely within one hand width of an adult.

I have seen hundreds of patients arrive after CPR. I've seen a mainstem bronchus torn off. Frequently rib fx, sternal fractures, popped lungs, and a spleen injury.

Most abuse to kids is on the head/face/extremities. But this guy what, drop kicked the kid in the chest? Palm strike? He said he called 911 and was doing CPR. Going to be very difficult to convict I think unless there's more to the story that we don't know.

We just had a cop lift a car off a woman to save her life. Adrenaline is an amazing thing.

Even the title of this post is placing this story inside a typical narrative, prejudicing those who will read it, or sit on a jury.

Top Bottom